• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dock aka Dr. Gary Purdue Killed yesterday in Dallas, TX by a drunk driver...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

I can barely see the keyboard to type this through my tears. Dr Gary Purdue was one of the most renowned burn doctors in the country, and particularly in the SW. :respect: He has been a member of our site for many years and went by the handle of 'dock'. He did many NC trips with us and on one trip watched anxiously, ready to assist when I was choking and could not dislodge a piece of food from my windpipe. In the end I was fine but I kept focusing on him and knew I would be ok regardless of what happened. He came to my wedding and gave the best gift any new couple could receive... FIRE EXTINGUISHERS!!! :teeth: When my niece was scalded by hot turkey gravy at age 2 on Christmas day HE PERSONALLY ASSISTED her and was angry I did not call him to let him know that she had been hurt. He consoled my sister PERSONALLY and with his and the care of his team...my niece carries NO scars from the event. :thankyou:

He and his wife raised a number of beautiful children and have a large number of grandchildren (although only one being his children's kids) see he and his wife Laurel were foster parents for infants born to drug moms, or abandoned babies or babies being given up for adoption etc. They were the first parents these babies ever knew...and then helped to see them go to permanent parents to pick up where they left off. :)

All in all he has been a near and dear friend who I've gained inspiration from for many years.

And while I do not know all the details I know that our community, the ENTIRE Dallas community and that of the US loss a great doctor, a great man and a great father today.....NEEDLESSLY. :tears:

I pray for his family that they find strength and peace in this horrific time of loss, and I pray that the person who killed him is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This is a senseless crime/loss that should have never happened. I am just devastated by the news... kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

My thoughts & prayers go out to his family, and to the family of the drunk driver as well - who will have to deal with the consequences of his/her stupidity.

Everyone, please think twice before getting behind the wheel of a car if you've been drinking!
Posted Image

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

I knew Dr. Purdue both personally and professionally. I first met Dr. Purdue on the SD NC trip back in 2006 after i took a tumble and had hurt my wrist. His presence and manner let you know you were in good hands and that things would be okay. On the trip he was quiet but when he spoke people listened as he had a presence and could enlighten something on the subject or situation. He was quiet but at the same time he also knew how to have fun. Then I saw him again and Kamala and Bill's wedding, I didn't know about the fire extinguishers but that is fitting considering his specialty.

Then professionally I have met Dr. Purdue many times in Parkland's ER while either being in the hospital on a rotation or bring a patient to him directly or to the areas of the hospital he over saw. I remember one call in particular a little over a year ago. Where I was bringing in a critical traumatic burn patient where there were a slew of techs, Nurses, Interns, Residents, Fellows running around all doing various tasks and asking a million questions in rapid succession, many of which were a repeats. Dr Prdue was in the corner, having walked into the bay shortly after i came in(I found out later). He overseeing everything making sure everyone was doing there job, and listening to the "chaos". Dr. Purdue could see that the same question being asked over and over again was starting to irritate me as I was trying to finish the patient report from the call, and give report at the same time. After what seemed like a hour but was really on a minute Dr. Purdue came to me and asked four simple questions; What was the time of injury, How much fluid the patient had been given in total since the injury, percentage/degree of the burn(s), and his final question was "how are you" extending his hand with a smile. The first three questions were answered quickly, but the fourth caught me off guard, for a moment. After thinking for a moment i replied "Good, just making precious moments count!" and shook his hand.

Even in what seems to be chaotic situation where things are going a million miles an hour there was still enough time for him get the pieces of information he needed to have a full picture of what was going on with the patient and yet be personable with the field personnel at the same time. This is something I dont see very much of anymore, in the medical field and its nice when something as simple as a handshake and a smile can change things and how your day is looking.

The world has lost a great person, and the medical community, especially in the areas of trauma and burns has lost a great educator and clinician. He will be greatly missed.

Kamala keep me update on anything you hear from his family. I also have a link to a new article if you want it

BTW i have the name of the person responsible for this. If someone knows the ins and outs of tracking someone through the jail/court system i will keep a eye on this.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Sadly I underestimated his 'world renown' reputation. :tears:

He was killed a few blocks frow where I used to live...I even recognize the where he was at. :(

Here is the link to the article about him thanks to Kimmie aka fingrabber. :thankyou: And Dan aka ScubaTooth who also let me know he had been killed. :thankyou:

He was a great man...the article is a short but good read. Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

:thankyou: Scubabjs for the pic of dock from the July 2006 NC trip you both were on! kamala

formerly...

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

I don't think I knew Gary, but this is a real tragedy and I feel for his family and all his many friends.

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Dock was my dive buddy on the 2006 NC trip. I recall showing up and not having previously met many of the trip goers in person wondering who I would be buddied up with. I looked the dive gear over on the boat and stopped in front of a hogarthian styled set-up almost identical to mine. At the same time Dock was standing in front of my set-up looking it over. It was a natural fit right down to our lift bags and spools. :)

He was, to this day, a dive buddy I speak about when sharing NC dive stories such as the time he followed me his crazy dive buddy into a bait ball in my quest to see schooling sharks just off the bow of the Papoose. He was a joy both topside and underwater.

This news is beyond tragic. My heart and thoughts go out to his family.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

I don't even know what to say...

Dock was a great dive buddy...he and I were buddies on the SD July 2007 trip; what a great guy! he was so humble and yet, he was nationally known for his burn care...he will be missed by all who knew him

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

Peter you would have easily remembered Gary if you had met him and you would have easily clicked with him and him with you.

Nicolle and Kim I remember your trips as if they were yesterday. I personally knew each of you would be perfect buddies for Gary and he for you.

He was so down to earth and so into his diving. His prior military background and hectic life made diving such a natural release and NC was his favorite place. In fact if I recall right I think it was his wedding anniversary and his wife would 'give' him this gift. :cool1:

Thank you all for the tremendous outpouring of pms's and emails...they have consoled me greatly. kamala

formerly...

#10 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:09 AM

I remember sitting at El Zarape for so many hours each night with Dock talking about diving and living. He was an amazing person-- insightful, humble and so accomplished (I did not/could not have known). A person to truly aspire to be like. My heart goes out to his wife and his large extended family. Meeting her in DFW upon our return from NC, I saw real joy in her eyes in seeing her husband return home safe from yet another crazy dive trip. There's so more but I can't go on typing in this intense sadness of this senseless loss ever so present.

A life like Dock's needs to be celebrated. Yes Dock, you were an amazing person.
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#11 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

Thoughts and prayers to all the family and friends who have been affected by this tragedy!! May the peace that passes all uderstanding fill you in this time of sorrow!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

He was supposed to go on the NC trip this year, but had to pull out. I wish I could have met him. My prayers are with all who knew him, friends or family.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

For those in the DFW area...

Kamala, Gary's celebration of life service is this Saturday at 1pm at First Baptist Church in Carrollton with a Reception to follow in the church gym. He would have loved for you to be there. Everyone who knew him is welcome.
Laurel

formerly...

#14 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

Here's another story http://cbs11tv.com/l....2.1944813.html from another local news source.

While I never had the opportunity to dive with Dr. Purdue, I have a friend who was treated at the Parkland burn cernter. This is a huge tragedy, to lose a man, who dedicated his life to treating and nurturing those who suffered the horrific pain of being burned.

My thoughts and sympathy goes out to his extended family.

Edited by ScubaTex, 05 October 2010 - 05:51 PM.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

Thank you Bill...that was extremely touching as it showed him walking and talking... :thankyou:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users