• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Stupid mechanical question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

I tried to put a new bulb in my low beam headlight tonight. I did this to the passenger side some months ago without any problem, but they want me to remove an exhaust that sits just in front of the car battery. Yea, right, figure out how to cram your fingers around the thing and pry the tabs away from the tabs that insert in the slots on either side and lift up... Ugh! I've tried fingers, flat head screw drivers, and grunting and none of them worked. Since I can't get that off, I can't get the leverage I need to pull the bulb out (I can twist it counter clockwise...but after that it's a no go.) Guess it will be "call the brother" time or figure out which place will put in the stupid bulb and pay $$$ for a job that's probably 5 minutes tops for them.

Feeling inept so just had to vent.
  • MNJoe likes this

#2 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:50 PM

We need more info to help. What Make-Model Year of auto and which side low beam having troble with.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

I've tried fingers, flat head screw drivers, and grunting and none of them worked.

Anytime you are doing a job like this and it doesn't go well, you must cuss and cuss loudly!!

I am not sure what is in your way, exhaust? some kind of vent tube? Those little plastic locking tabs can be a real big headache at times. You could always try going to your local automotive store and seeing if one of the guys there will install the bulb for you.

Keith

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

I can't speak for your car (don't even know what it is) but on a BMW bike I once owned it was necessary to remove the fairing to get at the headlamp bulb. I believe the workshop recommended time was 2 hours! And on my nephew's Lotus he has to remove the engine to change the spark plugs.

Vehicles aren't designed for ease of maintenance.

#5 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

I've tried fingers, flat head screw drivers, and grunting and none of them worked.

Anytime you are doing a job like this and it doesn't go well, you must cuss and cuss loudly!!

I am not sure what is in your way, exhaust? some kind of vent tube? Those little plastic locking tabs can be a real big headache at times. You could always try going to your local automotive store and seeing if one of the guys there will install the bulb for you.

Keith

Oh Sorry. I meant the guys at the automotive store doing it for free. I know my local store does wipers for free if you buy them there.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#6 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

People on this board ALWAYS make me feel better. :thankyou: I was able to get the passenger side bulb in during the summer, just need to try again on this one (driver side low beam bulb) before I try other routes. I had a thought this morning about how I might do it differently and will give it a try. Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!!

• Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

If that doesn't work then go up to Pep Boys or AutoZone. Like Joe says they usually do simple jobs for free and have all the tools. I had my computer interrogated at a store like that once and it saved me about $300 on an O2 sensor replacement since I did not have to go to the dealer for them to hook it up to their computer OR pay the install fee. Whole thing cost me $80 since that is what the sensor cost. Always try those guys first. They typically won't jerk you around like a mechanic will either.

What you are talking about is probably the air intake. I have seen a pretty big plastic box up behind the headlight on only one side that was part of the air intake before on my vehicles. It will have a big rubber hose coming off of it and going to the engine if that is what it is. It may have a number of fasteners holding it in place though.

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

E How direction here
http://www.ehow.com/...ta-corolla.html
I'm looking for video.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

E How direction here
http://www.ehow.com/...ta-corolla.html
I'm looking for video.

Stan you are very kind! I have to confess I didn't try to fix it today, it's SO COLD here after we've had such warm weather and I've become a Cold-WIMP! (Don't tell my childhood self that 28 degrees is COLD, she'd laugh. I was much tougher in my youth.)

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:01 AM

You mean your garage is NOT heated! ;)

Sorry you are having so much difficulty...it gives me new appreciation for women who tackle car stuff...I am in the Pep Boys "have someone else do it" mentality myself!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 aireater

aireater

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:16 AM

Don't know if it will help or not but if the tabs u r tying to hold in and take soemthing out, u might try some of those scissor type tongs or jar opener to put in the small space and pinch the tabs to remove. Kind of like finger extenders. lol
Good luck!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users