• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2011: New Year's Resolution - Get Health Insurance

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

2011: New Year's Resolution - Get Health Insurance

Ok so its on my list of resolutions for this year thanks to a number of good friends on this site. NO this is not a political discussion and any such discussion will be removed per our TOS.

However it is a practical discussion of how to get health insurance if your employer does not provide it...and in my case major medical insurance.

It is a discussion of who has had good success with which carriers and why if you can, you should have it even if you are in good health. (Fortunately in my case I am in good health but I'm not protected against major accidents.)

So if you are self-employed and have had good success with a specific carrier please let us know. If you carrier is NOT good when you have to make a claim or continuously raises rates...let us know so we can avoid them.

And if you are also looking for a coverage plan and wish to join me in the hunt let us know. -ww

Those Planning to Get Health Insurance in 2011:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench - Major Medical

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I'm self-employed. I think I used ehealthinsurance.com to compare plans but then went directly to the website of the provider I wanted. I have a pretty decent plan through BCBS of MN. (Tammy I think all states have a BC shop, I know MN does and they've hired me as a consultant multiple times.) A lot of providers have some pretty good affordable plans for self employed folks. I pay less now then I did as an employee of NWA.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#3 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

the reason that I sold my business and went back to corporate america was solely due to not being able to get health insurance. Oh, I could get it but the premiums were going to be $1200 a month with a $15000 deductible.

That being said, I have a suggestion. Kamala, you should look into a group insurance policy for SD members. With as many members as you have you might be able to pull off something like this. I have heard of organizations such as The Chamber of Commerce being able to offer such a plan. Would'nt hurt to look into it.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

Ok taking some time to get this one dialed in. I have spoken to several insurance reps, and used the www.ehealthinsurance.com that Lynn mentioned. (It REALLY is a good tool to see what is out there, compare, etc.) The agent I spoke to found a few plans that did not show up in ehealhinsurance but that was after greater discussion as to what I was looking for which is mostly major medical.

Now the big question...how do the following main players (who also offer individual plans) do in terms of payments, coverage, rate increases, etc.

Humana
Aetna
BlueCross BlueShield
UnitedHealth
Celtic

If you've had experience with these companies in general or as a self-employed person please let us know. If you would discourage someone from using one of these companies please let me know.

Please keep it polite and within our TOS as I know this can be a delicate subject these days. Thank you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

Ok taking some time to get this one dialed in. I have spoken to several insurance reps, and used the www.ehealthinsurance.com that Lynn mentioned. (It REALLY is a good tool to see what is out there, compare, etc.) The agent I spoke to found a few plans that did not show up in ehealhinsurance but that was after greater discussion as to what I was looking for which is mostly major medical.

Now the big question...how do the following main players (who also offer individual plans) do in terms of payments, coverage, rate increases, etc.

Humana
Aetna
BlueCross BlueShield
UnitedHealth
Celtic

If you've had experience with these companies in general or as a self-employed person please let us know. If you would discourage someone from using one of these companies please let me know.

Please keep it polite and within our TOS as I know this can be a delicate subject these days. Thank you! kamala

One of the big differences I would think Kamala from most of us, is the amount of days in the year that you aren't at home, both within the US and out of country. Plus living in a more remote part of the country also creates some unique circumstances that most of us don't have.

So I would think trying to find an insurance plan that caters to your situation is going to be different than most of us as your needs are different. Out of market claims will be a much bigger issue for you than it is for most of us. Larger networks would also be beneficial.

I know I had what they called catastrophic coverage when I was an independent contract 14 years ago, and just paid as I went for day to day medical costs. things have really changed since then. I was living in Oregon which had great state plans for such circumstances back then.

Like Parrotman, I went back into the corporate world as much for benefits as anything else.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

Thank you George...your input triggered a few things I have NOT considered yet...remoteness of SC, traveling the US as well as the world.

I'm covered by the combination of DiveAssure and DAN for anything basically that happens when I'm out of the country. DAN will cover what my primary insurance does not cover because its a secondary plan. DiveAssure will cover most of my needs as its a primary plan (plus I'll have back up of DAN, & personal plan.) So I should be ok here even with a high deductible on a regular insurance policy.

Yes a wider network for coverage would be important in my case due to traveling so much. Anyone know who may have a wider network of the plans listed above?

formerly...

#7 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

Kamala,

I have had Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield and United Health. United Health was a nightmare. You never knew when they were going to drop a provider from their covered list. I get routine blood tests due to a thyroid thing and I had been using the same lab for 5 years. One day I go in for blood test and I get a whopping big bill. I call UHC and they tell me that the lab is not "in network" This sort of thing happened all the time with UHC. Blue Cross was slightly better but not much. So far Aetna seems to be pretty good.

Hope that helps a little.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

That helps a TON!!! :thankyou:

And that is exactly what I wanted to hear!

One of our members who has been nudging me er...(kicking me in the butt) to get this done called his agent who called me and then had another agent licensed for SC and TX call me and she was leaning towards Humana saying that they seem to have the least number of 'surprise changes' and they seem to make the fewest mid-year price increases even now during rising prices for insurance.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with Humana?

formerly...

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

I have also had Aetna, United Healthcare, and BCBS. Labs come and go on all the plans in my experience, and unfortunately there's not much control you have over which lab your doctor or hospital sends lab work to. I had major surgery using United Healthcare several years ago, used all In-Network providers, and they paid promptly & with no hassles on my end, but that was all in-country. I currently have BCBS, and had many office visits and outpatient stuff, but only one hospital stay since this coverage began. In-Network providers is key to BCBS plan out-of-pocket expenses.

As has been said, you probably need a provider with good in-country Network providers as well as out-of-country coverage.
Posted Image

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Thank you Tammy...that helps to balance things a bit.

So far good and bad on several of the providers.

formerly...

#11 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

I have a version of BCBS here in Colorado. No complaints.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

I currently have United Healthcare and haven't had any problems with them as far as coverage, doctors available, lab work, etc. And they also cover me out of the country

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

Ok getting closer. Have quotes for several providers and have found a reasonable plan with HumanaOne that I am most leaning towards.

Anyone have any experience with them one way or the other?

Thank you ALL for your input! kamala

p.s. Did anyone else have this as a New Year's Resolution????

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users