• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Fiji - Beqa Lagoon, Great Astrolabe Reef, Kadavu

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

"If you are so inclined, I also tried my hand at some video work and movie making about my trip. There is a very tongue in cheek trailer on You Tube if you want a sneak peak:"
Tina, I Love the trailer, Very Cheekky but with no tv and no phones plenty of time for a Epic movie about a Epic trip, I'll cheek out the whole 40 mins. later. Nice Job...
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#17 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

As one of your camera techs I should get a bit of credit for the Mako demonstation...

Scubaski, I apologize for the unintended omission. Without Scubaski's assistance the side by side comparison would not have been possible.

Mea culpa: I am so technically inept that I was unable to install the Mako flat lens onto my GoPro camera case by myself, even after I went out and bought a special tool. Scubaski came to my rescue, flew to Cozumel at his own expense, and using his superior technical skill and special tools he was able to take the Mako lens installation process to a point from which I was able to complete the installation! Regrettably, I was unable to conduct the side by side comparison at that time and it had to wait until I dove Fiji.

Thank you, Scubaski! Posted Image I have added an acknowledgment to the youtube description.

Difficulty of installation is an important reason that, in my opinion, the Eye of Mine product is the superior solution to the GoPro factory provided lens problem and worth the higher price.

Edited by TexasDiver, 01 May 2011 - 09:42 PM.

#18 libra89

libra89

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

"If you are so inclined, I also tried my hand at some video work and movie making about my trip. There is a very tongue in cheek trailer on You Tube if you want a sneak peak:"
Tina, I Love the trailer, Very Cheekky but with no tv and no phones plenty of time for a Epic movie about a Epic trip, I'll cheek out the whole 40 mins. later. Nice Job...

Thanks! Epic is a great way to describe it, for many reasons. It occurred to me when I was approaching my milestone 100th dive while in Fiji that it was happening on nearly my one year anniversary for getting certified!! Epic trip to celebrate an epic year! I feel so lucky that I discovered the wonder of scuba, and fortunate that my hobby takes me to such pristine places as Beqa Lagoon. Of course, I don't think I'll ever top this trip, but I'm sure I'll have lots of fun exploring its competition :)

Tina

#19 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

Fiji music: Kadavu Boys of Bure #3, raw, unedited, low res. I held the camera in my lap and simply pointed it in the general direction of the musicians.

Edited by TexasDiver, 01 May 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#20 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:05 AM

And the best thing about diving Fiji? No tipping! Posted Image

#21 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

Sorry, Craig, gotta disagree with you on tipping. The tip goes toward the village and school. My trip to FIJI FIJI FIJI is still the trip to beat. It's not just the diving but the whole island of Kadavu that holds a special place in my heart. We donated money to the church and the school on top of all our tips. Soreli (the dive master/musician on the right of your video) is playing on a UKULELE that one of our diver (GAR aka Blueblood) gave him from our trip. Another diver (Mark aka Aggiediver) trip gave away his dive watch to another dive master. I still have pictures of Joelli's daughter smiling down at me on my wall. My dive lights, batteries, and bug sprays were needed more than I need them.

The musicians were good but listening to the harmony during the church service was even more special. The best part was the special singing program the children treated us to and the dancing afterward. Our trip cost around $3,000 (including airfare) and walking through that village and seeing how much the villagers need that money more...the divers from our trip tipped well!

#22 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

Sorry, Craig, gotta disagree with you on tipping...the divers from our trip tipped well!

Of course, you can tip if you like, but it is neither mandatory nor expected. A little vulgar, too, don't you think? The three resorts I visited had notes in their in-room information books and/or at reception stating "no tipping, please." I think what you describe is charity, not tipping.

#23 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

Yep, our group tipped well also, when we went to Kadavu in March 2009. SD trips tend to tip for good service, regardless of common practices. And if it will benefit a school or children, we usually go above & beyond! :respect:
Posted Image

#24 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Short 2 min. video of Matava. The diving was good, but the hospitality division failed. I do not recommend this resort.

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

I would never recommend going someplace because tipping was not an integral part of the culture. Strange.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#26 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

I would never recommend going someplace because tipping was not an integral part of the culture. Strange.

Probably a seperate topic but the Australians I have talked to feel the same way from the debates, and are offended when foreigners tip, forcing their tipping culture onto them, where tipping is expected in service based industries.

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Probably a seperate topic but the Australians I have talked to feel the same way from the debates, and are offended when foreigners tip, forcing their tipping culture onto them, where tipping is expected in service based industries.

I agree some cultures do not expect a tip however all the Aussies we tipped for doing a good great job were pleased we did so. Maybe this cultural pattern is changing or maybe they do not believe in tips being a part of the wage scale but appreciate them as recognition for superior service?

I had no tips refused in Australia when we were there a few years ago.

Tipping is not encouraged in Fiji so as to not "CHANGE" the behavior of the people and have them look at guests as 'paychecks'.

However as Que so eloquently pointed out...tipping is indeed appreciated and desired as they direct the funds to projects that help EVERYONE and not just a few visible/social people. We did in fact direct our tips to several projects that helped the children and many of our divers gave of personal items directly to individuals that made a difference on our trip. I gave a pair of dive fins to one of the DM's who very much needed a new pair of fins. It was not expected nor was it rejected. It was however greatly appreciated by the recipient almost as much as I enjoyed giving it for a fabulous job well done by him!

However my point this remains...it is strange to look at 'no tipping customary' as a deciding factor in where to go diving.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 libra89

libra89

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Agreed. When we stayed at Beqa Lagoon Resort, we were of the full intention of donating to the Christmas fund bucket, and many of us did so generously. I would venture to say every single one of us donated some cash, I just don't know how much. We also put together an entire suitcase of school supplies that we brought to the school, and they were very excited. In retrospect though, we feel that it might have been better to bring them inexpensive kids clothing and dental supplies, but hindsight is, as they say, 20/20.

I also know some of our trip members asked some of the resort staff what kinds of items we could send them when we got back home. Some popularly requested items were t-shirts (appropriately sized for women), and flashlights, since the waitstaff are all female and have to walk home from the resort in the dark. We had one or two people donate the batteries out of their dive lights and computers at the end of our trips because the divemasters needed them for their own gear and have no easy means of getting them on their own. I asked my favorite divemaster how he gets access to gear when he needs it, and he told me many of their equipment and parts are donations from people that give their gear to them after the trip is over. Missi had a Stiletto BC that he said someone gave him, and I know those aren't cheap! Someone was very generous indeed, and on an island like Beqa where there are no resources to be had, and getting to the main island might not be possible for them, I know it is really appreciated albeit unexpected.

I definitely do not think I would choose a destination simply because I would not be expected to tip. There is always a form of need and reciprocity would be accepted and welcomed, if not expected.

#29 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Not diving, but here is a short video of traditional Fiji fire-walking, complete with story of the talking freshwater eel!

#30 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

So why didn't I see a Texan Firewalker ?? There has to be some type of trick, maybe the lava rocks they use or gallons of Kava consumed before the walk.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users