• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Photo Taking Etiquette....Does anyone follow ANY?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Tammy!

I should have said *wrist lanyard and brass/stainless clip* so that you can clip it off to your bc between dives and use it as a tank banger. Its still very nice to have on a lanyard just in case you need to drop it!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

Mine is attached to a very large brass clip. It easily attaches to a d-ring on my BC when I'm entering & exiting the water, and the brass clip fits my hand nicely. And, it doubles as a tank-banger so I can get the attention of my dive buddy if I need to.

If you go deep off of Texas Reef you may find one I lost upon entering the water in Roatan last year in that exact configuration.

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

Mine is attached to a very large brass clip. It easily attaches to a d-ring on my BC when I'm entering & exiting the water, and the brass clip fits my hand nicely. And, it doubles as a tank-banger so I can get the attention of my dive buddy if I need to.

If you go deep off of Texas Reef you may find one I lost upon entering the water in Roatan last year in that exact configuration.

Ahem... a wrist lanyard or strap or bungie like I have on mine would have prevented that little mishap...assuming you had it around your wrist of course! LOL! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#19 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

You can also use a short lionfish spear.

If I'm taking pictures I don't want to be last in line, when the water has been stirred up and the critters have probably been scared off, I want to be first. In practice that means I want to be alone. When I was running Protech we had lots of well-equipped experienced photographers who didn't want to be in the same ocean as other divers, so we kept an eye on them and kept away. The group didn't move far or fast in any case, so keeping away from the photographer but still within reach wasn't difficult. That obviously wouldn't work with an inexperienced photographer, on two grounds. - I wouldn't want to be too far away in case he had a diving emergency, and I'd want to keep a close eye on him to be able to haul him off the reef if it became necessary.

Fine buoyancy control is critical when taking photos, whether diving or snorkelling. Firstly because you'll get much better pictures, and secondly but more importantly because you shouldn't then damage the reef (or kick anyone in the teeth). The most difficult conditions are at night in a current, and in fact I expect any budding photographer to be able to demonstrate very good body control in those conditions. As Kamala said, if it's all going pear-shaped, and it can for anyone no matter how skilled, just float up, regroup and have another go. If you're in a strong current there's no substitute for being a good diver.

I learned long ago to be wary of people who turn up with elaborate housing & lamps that are obviously new, especially if they also have dive gear that also looks new. And even more especially, if they're using a wing but clearly haven't much experience with it. I saw some photos taken by one of my guests once and I hadn't even realised he had a camera. It was a compact in a compact housing and he had it in his BC pocket, and when he took the photos he did it in such an unobtrusive way I didn't even notice. Those photos were magnificent! In talking to him I discovered he had been taking underwater photos for over 20 years, and had several thousand dives. It showed, or rather it didn't show.

#20 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thank you for your order Greg! The BEST way to carry it IMO is on a wrist lanyard. Its in your hand waiting to be used but if you need to be handsfree you can safely drop it and its safe and sound. I've seen some put it on a retractable lanyard but that seems ackward to me. If its in your hand...you are likely to use it. Even MASTER photogs carry them in their hand READY to use. So that is my suggestion. If you need a wrist lanyard let me know. I have a dive shop a few feet away from the house! ;)
:thankyou: Ladies,for the responses..
Kamala,your welcome..I will see what I can do b/4 the trip..Having a camera in 1 hand ,lanard/attached to the stick????mmmmm
Tammy, very lg brass clip?? Double ended?? Could you be a little more specific..I just don't want to become a Cxmas Tree..LOL
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#21 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thank you for your order Greg! The BEST way to carry it IMO is on a wrist lanyard. Its in your hand waiting to be used but if you need to be handsfree you can safely drop it and its safe and sound. I've seen some put it on a retractable lanyard but that seems ackward to me. If its in your hand...you are likely to use it. Even MASTER photogs carry them in their hand READY to use. So that is my suggestion. If you need a wrist lanyard let me know. I have a dive shop a few feet away from the house! ;)
Kamala,your welcome..I will see what I can do b/4 the trip..Having a camera in 1 hand ,lanard/attached to the stick????mmmmm
Tammy, very lg brass clip?? Double ended?? Could you be a little more specific..I just don't want to become a Cxmas Tree..LOL

Greg,

I have a wrist lanyard that keeps me attached to my photo stick while in the water. It does not get in the way and my stick is always right there . When I am getting off and on the boat I clip it on to a carabiner clip that is on d ring on my bc. I lost one on a dive trip because I did not have the lanyard and I was helping a struggling diver get to the tag line in a current and had to let go of the stick to help her. After that I got the wrist lanyard.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#22 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Greg,

I have a wrist lanyard that keeps me attached to my photo stick while in the water. It does not get in the way and my stick is always right there . When I am getting off and on the boat I clip it on to a carabiner clip that is on d ring on my bc. I lost one on a dive trip because I did not have the lanyard and I was helping a struggling diver get to the tag line in a current and had to let go of the stick to help her. After that I got the wrist lanyard.

Thanks Jim,I'll see what I end up doin when I get it..I'm always thinkin about being (trim) with my accessories.This might be better explained or shown when I get to GCM...

Greg

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Greg a double ended is ALWAYS the best.

The wrist lanyard can be anykind..you actually spend your time with the photo stick in one hand and the camera in the other. If you need both hands for the camera let the photo stick go and it doesn't go far....just around your wrist. If you ALSO attach the double ender to it (they all have a stainless ring on them) then you hold that or let it dangle while you hold the stick. Or leave the double ender on your bc and just use it to attach between dives.

You will NOT look like a xmas tree if you are suing these things.

formerly...

#24 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Im really leary of wrist/coil lanyards anymore after on i had for a camera nearly caused a major incident went it got fouled by a inexperienced diver with a camera that snuck under me to get the shot i was setting up for and couldnt break away from me.

As for my photo stick i have a bolt snap(that can break away in a emergency) on which is either clipped to a D-ring or on a camband on sidemount rig when not in use or to the elastic band on my wrist slate.

For those interested in a break away set up. materials used 1 bolt, 1 zip tie, 1 o-ring. on the photo stick there is a split ring on the stick, i take the o-ring and loop it through the split ring then on the free loop on the oring i feed the ziptie and tighten it down on the bolt snap. pretty easy but if to much force is applied the oring will break. This isnt permanent as will have to inspect the o-ring often to see if its breaking down or tearing.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#25 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

I keep my photo stick on a retractable line now, so that I can comfortably use it as a tank banger too. I've learned my lesson on using wrist lanyards after losing my CAMERA in Fiji! I lost the camera while it was attached to my wrist! :tears: (I'm still baffled by that, and STILL incredibly thankful for the the group to allow me to return to that site a day later AND for person who found it :thankyou: AGAIN!).

From now on, I try to (somehow) attach EVERYTHING to my BCD (lights, my dive knife in my BCD pocket, etc. I try not to rely on wrist lanyards anymore, or at least get a good locking wrist lanyard that isn't too tight, but snug around my wrist) I took Tammy's advice and got a really nice camera lanyard that attaches to my BCD with a locking clip. The locking clip is really the key because it's easy to secure the camera when it's not in use, and unclip it when you're ready (and it's still attached to you).

#26 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

From now on, I try to (somehow) attach EVERYTHING to my BCD (lights, my dive knife in my BCD pocket, etc. I try not to rely on wrist lanyards anymore, or at least get a good locking wrist lanyard that isn't too tight, but snug around my wrist) I took Tammy's advice and got a really nice camera lanyard that attaches to my BCD with a locking clip. The locking clip is really the key because it's easy to secure the camera when it's not in use, and unclip it when you're ready (and it's still attached to you).

Margret,.I also have everything clipped in one way or another.I also clip the wide angle to the bracket of the strobe,just in case..
Greg

#27 ScubaFred

ScubaFred

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:OW AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

This is how I carry my photostick as well. I just returned from a week of diving on the Ultimate Getaway and a few divers asked me what it was. Simple answer. I was the only diver with one on the trip.

But I soon discovered a new use for the photostick, courtesy of the boat captain. He thought I used it to direct the band down below. (I am sure he knew what it was.) Made sense to me. But really, the photostick allowed me to get in close to the reef and not damage it.

So Kamala, thanks to you and the photostick, I am a much better diver and underwater photographer.

And Tammy, next time I need to bang my tank, I will think of your method and try it myself.

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

Fred you are most welcome!

I hope some of your new friends will want their own photo stick...I have LOTS!!! ;)

p.s. I hope we'll see you on another trip soon! Great divers are always a treat! Kamala

formerly...

#29 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

How long are these sticks?

#30 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:23 AM

How long are these sticks?

Peter,if I recall correctly 15"..or 38.1 cm
Couldn't find the link in here,but I'm pretty sure of the length.

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users