• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Insomnia

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:44 AM

So you either can't get to sleep or you wake up in the middle of the night and no matter what you can't get to sleep... so you find yourself cruising around on Facebook or SD.com trying to fill the time and get yourself to settle back down. Help!

Any advice out there on how to get back to sleep?
Any advice on turning off the churning thoughts in your head (a little job related, a little missing a beloved pet)?

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

I wish I had a definitive answer for you on how to get BACK to sleep, but I don't. Happens to me sometimes, too, and I'm just sleep deprived the next day.

Getting to sleep in the first place ("turning the mind off") is easier, I've found, if I've exercised vigorously that afternoon or evening. Not too late, though! Be done at least 4 hours before bedtime. When I don't exercise, I lay for hours before dropping off because I can't turn the brain off.

I'm sorry you lost your furry friend, and that it's preying on your mind.
Posted Image

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

Ideas to help sleep better....

1. A warm shower a couple of HOURS before bed. Its too stimulating later than that.
1. Do not watch the news, or do anything that will 'gear your brain up'. Do relaxing activities only.
3. Some people finding reading helpful as it will make them drowsy. Be careful of the content. No action thrillers but something boring or detailed.
4. Go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time. It will train your body to be tired at this time.
5. Take flaxseed before bed to help you sleep better. It will regulate sleep cycles.
6. Take melatonin to help you sleep as well.
7. Plan for at least 7-8 hours of sleep.
8. Do NOT sleep in even on weekends...force yourself to get up early or at regular time so you can go to bed early.
9. Plan out your day before going to bed in writing so you do not have to worry about forgetting...many people run that stuff thru their minds and it keeps them awake.
10. Turn out all lights and make your room as dark as possible with minimum noise...perhaps white noise only...to facilitate better sleep.
11. Use an alarm clock so you don't have to use your subconscience mind to make sure you wake up in time.

What do do if you wake up in the middle of the night...

1. If something is bothering you write it down on paper to get it off your mind. Use as little light as possible so as to remain a bit sleepy.
2. Lay there and rest even if you think you are 'awake'. Chances are you will dose off and not be aware of it. If you get up you will fully reinforce waking up rather than trying to go back to sleep.
3. Pray if you are the praying type that whatever is troubling you will be freed from your mind. That along with writing it down will allow the brain to 'put it to rest' as you've done your part to take care of it.
4. Take another melatonin if you still have enough time to fall back to sleep before having to wake up.
5. If you are fully awake and can't just lie there, then stay in bed and read something boring or tedious. Getting up and playing on the computer will not help you relax.

Heidi I know you are struggling with the loss of your best friend and companion. I'll keep you in my prayers that you'll feel better soon. Try the aforementioned ideas...they will help. Hugs from SC... kamala

p.s. I moved this to our Health and Diving forum vs. the general category. Thank you, Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hi Heidi,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your companion, I know how hard that can be. My thoughts are with you.

As for sleeping, a nice walk earlier in the evening, in the fresh air, usually helps me. If I wake up during the night, sometimes I will put on some relaxational music, but only instrumental or sound effect type stuff and not truly classical, as that tends to stimulate the brain.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

To Kamala's list I'd add - don't eat within a couple of hours of bed, and if you must drink alcohol don't do so to excess or within that same couple of hours.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this a few night ago. Mostly all night.

#6 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

Having suffered from a combination of insomnia and depression last year, I sympathise with your situation.

From past experience I find that cuddling with a significant other helps me relax, but that is not always an option... especially if you have trouble sleeping due to the loss of said significant other.

I started taking a single melatonin tablet about 30 minutes before bed, and I find that while I do not sleep as deeply (feels like I spend the night only half asleep), when I wake up I feel well rested and ready to tackle the day.

Also, I'm not sure about the clinical effects of alcohol, but in my experience, I've found that a cold beer before bed time makes the whole relaxing and drifting off process much easier. Mind you, that's a beer (as in singular). I don't know if that works for anyone else, doesn't look like it works for peter, but it has helped me calm my mind down in the past.

I hope you feel better, and I'm sorry about the loss of your friend... I know what that's like

I'm pulling for you. Remember, we're all in this together.

-WIll

#7 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

As WW and others have advised, find some restful way to clear your mind of your conscious thoughts, so you can reach a peaceful slumber. Recntly, I worked 76 hours over 5 days, not including meal breaks, which meant not only the thoughts of the day's work was spinning in my mind, but adenaline was keeping me from winding down. After a couple nights of tossing and turning, resulting in maybe an hour of restfull sleep, I tried a different approach. When I got home the next night, set the alarms in my bedroom and next to my recliner, I poured a [only one] shot of bourbon and sipped it with a glass of water, while relaxing in the recliner. I would wake up a couple hours later, stumble to bed to complete my 5-6 hours [?] of sleep for the night. You have to find out the best method that works for you. Good Luck & Sweet Dreams!!!

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#8 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

When worries or unwanted thoughts keep me awake I try to visualize a restful location (for me this is a woodsy spot I like to go to) and I imagine flooding it into a different color, like blue. I try to remember as many tiny details about the location as I can. It requires a level of focus that prevents the worries from occupying your mind, but is still a restful activity. I usually end up dreaming about it too.

I also recently downloaded a white noise application on my phone. You can make your own mixes with it. My current favorite is crickets and ocean waves.

Sleeping poorly can be miserable. I hope you feel better soon!

Brenda

#9 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

When worries or unwanted thoughts keep me awake I try to visualize a restful location (for me this is a woodsy spot I like to go to) and I imagine flooding it into a different color, like blue. I try to remember as many tiny details about the location as I can. It requires a level of focus that prevents the worries from occupying your mind, but is still a restful activity. I usually end up dreaming about it too.
Brenda

I like this idea! I'll have to give it a shot!

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

I find a few things work

1) get up at the same time everyday and never take naps
2) eat only real food, that means natural produce and nothing processed or from a restaurant
3) drink only water
4) exercise vigorously every day
5) minimize sweets of any kind
6) no caffeine at all

If I don't do ALL of these then I get insomnia. Currently I am doing very few of them... mainly just the water and caffeine. And now I also have insomnia, I fall asleep and then wake up. I wake up at about midnight and fall asleep again at about 4am. Of course, the alarm clock goes off at 5am so that doesn't work well.

Melatonin is overrated. I've used it for 10+ years and now find that it affects me very poorly when I take it so I rarely take it anymore. Exercise and eating right is much better.

i don't have an answer for falling back to sleep other than eat right and exercise so your body is in balance.

#11 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Melatonin is overrated. I've used it for 10+ years and now find that it affects me very poorly when I take it so I rarely take it anymore. Exercise and eating right is much better.

Looks like we have a number of different opinions and theories.

I don't think that there's one solution that works for everyone, so if I may be so bold as to suggest something: Perhaps a holistic approach is the best way to go, exercise is good, twinkies and potato chips are bad. Instead of removing sugar from your diet, try eating fruit instead of a candy bar. Get up and go to bed at the same time every morning/night, and look for ways to have fun and relax. Maybe you should even go diving!

As an aside I think Organic, while a bit better for you, is overrated by the general public.

#12 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

As an aside I think Organic, while a bit better for you, is overrated by the general public.

In the sense that there's going to be chemicals on everything you eat, pollutants in the air, and minerals in the water. I think its good to avoid 'synthetic' foods in favor of more natural ones. I.E. a pear vs gummy bears. Think about it like this, if your cardiologist doesn't eat it its probably not something you should eat every day.

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

I agree that natural sugars in the form of fruits are better for you than processed sugar treats. However, you should still avoid eating fruit past 6pm, as it can interfere with sleep when eaten later.
Posted Image

#14 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

If I am restless and unable to get to sleep, I often put on my personal music player (not an Apple product, but otherwise similar to an iPod) and listen to music that I have to listen to. I don't like background music anyway, so I find that easy. My choice of music is highly personal and will differ for others, but I find Bach or Byrd (the 16th Century English composer) generally do the trick. Flushes out whatever thoughts are preventing me sleeping.

#15 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hiedi,as you can see.You are not alone.Neither age or gender has any limits,for this problem.Sorry for your loss,I can relate as I lossed one of my cats 2 yrs ago.Maybe give it some time and think about a new friend??Might help to hold a new companion.I'd raise my hand on Bill's method of a shot sometimes.Then again,I have done the SD site and read and finally dosed off.The exercise routine and wake up regularly has merit.

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 18 August 2011 - 07:19 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users