• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Insomnia

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

Evaluate your mattress also. If it's old or not a high quality one, despite you thinking it is still a good one, it may be time for a new one.

#17 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

Thanks everyone! Last night was better in part due to a nearly 12 hour very busy (lots of physical work) day at work - start of school year including back to school night. I'm also trying to stay with the same time to get up as my dog would help me to get up very consistently. Thanks for all your kind thoughts. Heidi

#18 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

For years now I've had problems sleeping, more so lately because work has been very stressful and I have a hard time "turning off" my brain at the end of the day. I've tried several different types of medication from OTC (Tylenol PM) to herbal (Valerian Root) to prescription (Ambien) with varied success. Some nights a few minutes of relaxation with a good book works wonders. I also will have a beer (or two) during the evening while watching TV.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you. Also, sorry about the lose of your pet. That is always tough, and the recovery takes time.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#19 Dave W

Dave W

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cert Level:divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

I've had chronic insomnia my whole life. One technique that's helped me over the years is lying very still in a comfortable position, and - believe it or not - talking to my body parts. "Toes, you're asleep." Not out loud, of course, but you get the idea. I slowly work my way up from my toes on, and usually by the time I reach my waist I've dropped off. Your mileage may vary.

If all else fails, I love Ambien. It can't be used chronically because it loses effectiveness after 2 or 3 nights in a row, but I tend to use it about once a week with great success. The internal workings of the human noggin are a mystery, which is why nearly everybody has a different approach to dealing with insomnia. I hope you find some that work for you (it never hurts to have a backup!).
Dave "Next time I go for a drive, I must remember. I've gotta bring my car."

#20 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:02 AM

One thing that helps me is that I have a sound-generating machine. It gives me sounds like rain, waves, a brook, and crickets/peepers.

Rick

:usflag:

Veni, Vidi, Dormivi (Latin: "I came, I saw, I slept")

#21 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Heidi,

Sorry to hear about the loss of you pet. I know how hard that can be. Like Kamala said stay away from the electronics and light for that matter, it will trigger you brain to be awake. Some relaxing Yoga stretches and deep breaths should help along with the other great suggestions made. If it continues you may want to have your hormones checked. They can play havoc with your sleep.

And when you are ready to add a new member to your family there are many great animals in need of loving homes available at all the area shelters.

#22 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Carla, my little Penny was from the Denver Dumb Friends League and was a great companion for 9 years. I will definitely miss her and perhaps some day I'll want another dog and return back to DDFL. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users