• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Working on 10,000

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

The school district I work for created a challenge this year (as they did last year) for school teams to walk and compete for the most number of steps. Last year I didn't even think about joining because I was fighting my health. This year I'm giving it a try and starting with a goal of 10,000 steps a day. I'm close today and will pace some more trying to get the last few hundred steps in, but yesterday I spent a lot more time sitting at work and didn't even make it to 5,000. Any advice on fitting in extra steps and bits of exercise into my day until I get past a very crazy beginning of the year where an enormous amount of my time became sitting and barcoding new teaching resources? Anyone who can just encourage ( or give me a kick in the butt) to keep going? I can really use the help... I have such great intentions but the "do" part of the equation seems to get lost. :( Help! :thankyou:

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Always park as far away as you can. Drink more water so you have to walk to the bathroom more often. If you have a pet, take it for a walk instead of just letting it outside. When you grocery shop, go up & down every aisle even if you don't need anything on half of them. If any of your job can be done standing, give it a try.

And I wouldn't be a worthy employee of a fitness equipment retailer if I failed to tell you to get a treadmill & use it daily! :lmao:

Good luck!
Posted Image

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

The school district I work for created a challenge this year (as they did last year) for school teams to walk and compete for the most number of steps. Last year I didn't even think about joining because I was fighting my health. This year I'm giving it a try and starting with a goal of 10,000 steps a day. I'm close today and will pace some more trying to get the last few hundred steps in, but yesterday I spent a lot more time sitting at work and didn't even make it to 5,000. Any advice on fitting in extra steps and bits of exercise into my day until I get past a very crazy beginning of the year where an enormous amount of my time became sitting and barcoding new teaching resources? Anyone who can just encourage ( or give me a kick in the butt) to keep going? I can really use the help... I have such great intentions but the "do" part of the equation seems to get lost. :( Help! :thankyou:

Sounds like scheduling a brisk one hour walk every day - 10,000 steps for me is right at 10,000 yards - just over 5 miles...
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

Heidi,

It seems to me you need some motivation and what is more motivating than getting out in nature and enjoying all it has to offer. So I have a suggestion which is almost guaranteed to get you at least 10000 steps a day. First thing is you need a cane, not just any cane but a big sturdy one. Next you need a cape for your uniform. I suggest a Gandalf motif with a big H on the back of it, but that is just me. Once you have these two items then you are ready.

What you are trying to do is really take in nature. Take a hike up in the mountains and soak it in. This is what makes life worth living, you will learn to appreciate this during these special times. So you are doing your Gandalf walk through the mountains with your cape and heavy duty cane right???

Well not exactly, you are looking for something... BEARS.

Not just any bears... Grizzly Bears.

And just one, you want a group... with mamma bear and her cubs.

Once you find said family of teddy bears, undoubtably eating porridge or honey out of a beehive ('cuz that is what bears do), climb up on a rock above them and jump right in the middle of den. Plant your cane straight in the ground and with your other hand firmly planted on your hip, look mamma bear straight in the eye. Really stare her down with your best skunk eye and then GROWL... really show her your teeth. Growl so loud you make her fur move. Make her know who is boss and let her know you OWN this operation. Mamma bear is perplexed now so at this point take your cane in both hands like a baseball bat and bonk mamma bear on the head a few times. Hit her in the nose and in the teeth for sure. Then make sure you jump on her back and pull one of her ears back so you can stick your cane down deep in that ear. Really twist it around. Then pull it out and bonk her on the top of the head a few more times. Give her a nice little kiss on the top of the head, then do a backflip and land right in front of her. Circle her a times shooting that skunk eye at her again. Remember, you OWN this operation and YOU are in charge.

Now you have your motivation to make 10000 steps, but you are not done yet. OH NO, now the fun part begins... and it WILL be fun.

After mamma grizzly stops crying, then: 1) give her the finger, 2) pick up the youngest cub, and 3) RUN LIKE HELL!!!

Run like there is no tomorrow!!!

Run like your life depends on it!!!

Run faster than Forrest Gump!!!

Make the mountain lions turn to each other and say "Damn, what the HELL was that!!!"

See, you are now more scared of the bear than she is of you so you WILL outrun her. Just picture it, running through the mountains with that giant H just fluttering in the air. You have your cane in one hand and the baby cub cradled in the other arm. You will have the respect of every mountain animal you pass and you will feel INVINCIBLE. All these animals will be giving you high fives and chest bumps as you pass. It'll be AWESOME!!!

You have so much adrenaline now and you OWN this operation so well that you run the risk of tiring the bear out. So if that happens here is what you do. When she starts panting and has to rest you turn to her, keeping the cub for yourself of course, and stick your tongue out at momma bear. Give her the biggest raspberry ever while shaking your butt. Prance around in your cape with the cub up over your head. Give her that skunk eye again. If she doesn't respond, try the old "you want it?? You want it??? Too bad so sad you can't have it" fake out routine and then pretend to do a football spike with the cub. Remember, you OWN this and you are in charge!!! She will get her second wind and you can continue running until you reach 10000 steps. At 10000 steps, duck behind a tree and drop off the cub, then double back the other way real quick. That will daze and confuse her. She will give up just feeling lucky to survive the encounter with this mysterious H and very lucky to have her cub back. Now you just walk home with 10000 steps on the pedometer. Couldn't be easier plus you have a great story to use to motivate the other, much lazier (I am assuming), teachers the next day.

Then of course, you have to do it to a different bear family the next day.... and the next day... AAAND the next day.

So you get healthy, have a rousing good time in nature, earn tons of self respect, and learn to appreciate life all at the same time. What more could you ask for???

My cousin lefty used to do something similar with gators when I was kid back in Louisiana. He never could drive a stick shift, but it turned out ok for him nonetheless.

Just a thought...

#5 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Scott, you just aren't right. I am awake now though. This Alaskan ain't that stupid but you knew that when you started. :lmao:

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

I had to read that twice (I was laughing too hard the first time!), then a third time to try to imagine Heidi doing all of those things. Ya know, I could almost picture it!!

Girl, you have some of that strength inside you, and evidently Scott could see it. He twisted & stretched it beyond recognition, though! :lmao:

10,000 steps a day will be a piece of cake once you put your mind to it.
Posted Image

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

Heidi you can get an under office desk peddler and pedal while typing or doing computer work. Not exactly steps but it should make the pedometer click off as you pedal. This will help you when you can't get up and do the things Tammy suggested earlier etc.

As for Scott...was that a nightmare or fantasy induced dream? LOL!! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

• Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

Heidi you can get an under office desk peddler and pedal while typing or doing computer work. Not exactly steps but it should make the pedometer click off as you pedal. This will help you when you can't get up and do the things Tammy suggested earlier etc.

As for Scott...was that a nightmare or fantasy induced dream? LOL!! ;)

neither, merely a suggestion with a plan attached.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users