• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION: 2012-04: April Break out....to Xcalak & Chinchorro...April 28-May 5th

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:Adv Adventure, Computer Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

If this is still on I I'm interested. Not sure what next year will look like time-wise but I hope to go on this if not another trip.
Peace of mind? It's a Piece of Cake.

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

WOW! Maybe you'll make ALL 3....although this one may change venue...see my next post.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

Overview:

Hey gang...this trip may be in trouble. Explorer Ventures a highly reputable company has partnered with a local Mexican company to bring us the is amazing new destination. In a world where people are retrenching and cutting back...EV is expanding. However for some reason the permits have been delayed. Perhaps not enough facilitating payments were made to get the licenses in the first place who knows but as of yesterday they still do not have them.

Prior to my trip to Europe with my mother, I rec'd a letter from EV allowing us to decide if we wanted to "wait and see" or cancel our trip to Chinchorro until such time as they have the permits in hand. I had hoped when I returned from my trip that the matter would be be resolved and I would not need to pose the question to you. However 'Murphy' has been hot and heavy on my trail lately and so the problem was not resolved as I had hoped.

I've attached the letter because I believe EV to be a truly stand up company and doing everything in their power to make this work yet be fair to all their clients. So we have the option to cancel this trip if we are not willing to take the risk that the permits will arrive soon.

Timeline Update:

Another possible resolution could occur by the 10th of Nov. However if that 'deadline' is missed it will most likely be the end of the year before they know anything more or could possibly have the permits in hand.

Request for Input:

In the meantime I am leaving this up to you all to decide. If you've been thinking about this trip and want to express an opinion please do so. Let us know if you want to wait until say Nov to cancel or the end of the year and then cancel or do you want to cancel now so we can find another venue?

And if you want us to cancel now to look for another venue...where would you like to go?

Attached Files

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#19 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

My .02..Kamala
After reading the letter.He doesn't sound to optomistic. The other current event that effects my decision to go , is the Hurricane that is whipping through that general area.To much to gamble on the Mexican Government issuing the permit.personally, cross me off.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

Greg they will be issued eventually...just not sure when. That is why they are asking us what we want to do. I wlll be shopping trips at DEMA next week so will hopefully have a back up plan or replacement trip.

Any suggestions? Liveaboard? St Croix? Bahamas? Something more exotic? The idea here was new pristine diving and cheap air which lately is the deal killer for everyone...

formerly...

#21 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

I initially looked at Chinchorro for the reasons that you mentioned, new pristine diving and cheaper air. The present storm should have zero bearing on this trip for six months down the road. The permits are another issue. If you can hold off a few weeks on your decision about a refund from Explorer Ventures, that would give you time to look at other options at Dema as you mentioned. That sounds great. I doubt the permits will come through in the next couple of weeks, but if they do, I vote for the trip. If not, update us on options that you find at Dema. If you need to make a decision this week on this trip, I vote to cancel, and look at it in the future. Explorer Ventures invested the money in the boat, so I am sure that they will work permits out in time, and this trip option will eventually open up. As for other options, I am always in favor of the liveaboards myself, but I would assume options would be very limited for that at this point. As for suggested spots, my interests lie in areas that you are already going to, but the timing did not work out for me, so I will defer to others on the suggestion front.

Greg they will be issued eventually...just not sure when. That is why they are asking us what we want to do. I wlll be shopping trips at DEMA next week so will hopefully have a back up plan or replacement trip.

Any suggestions? Liveaboard? St Croix? Bahamas? Something more exotic? The idea here was new pristine diving and cheap air which lately is the deal killer for everyone...

#22 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

GunnaBdiver? and I are still holding out hope for a while on this one. Diving pristine conditions in this hemisphere in conjunction with the airfare situation have me very interested. Also the chance to get over to Cancun and dive the statues as part of this trip is another reason I'm holding on. I'm not against waiting out the permit snafu for a while yet in anticipation of a very seldom visited area. that's my 2psi.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#23 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

I'm up for waiting a bit on permits. I'm really interested.

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'm inclined to wait a bit too... how long is the magical question??? Nov? End of Year? (I would guess no later than end of year!)

formerly...

#25 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

The nice part is that Chinchorro will still be there, and still be pristine, when the permits come through for our boat! And if it doesn't happen in April 2012, maybe it will be scheduled in 2013 with dates that don't span the first of the month! (hint hint) :cool2: :teeth:
Posted Image

#26 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

I would think end of the year.

#27 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

I'm still interested in Chinchorro, when ever it gets approved. If not next year, maybe the next. Is EV the only operator that goes here?

And have you looked at a trip to Cabo Pulmo? I've heard the diving is great and that the government of Mexico is considering doing to Cabo Pulmo what it has done to Cabo San Lucas and Cancun. It's a pristine area now but once the time shares and hotels start getting built that probably won't be the case.

#28 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

The Chinchorro location will always be there, so if not this year then next year.

If Kamala can find a good deal for a replacement trip at DEMA for similar dates, then it must be fate that we go to the new location. Regardless of location, I'd hope we'd have a final decision before the end of November.

Since it doesn't hurt to drop a hint....any chance the group might consider going April 21 - 28? It would be helpful for me too if we could avoid the dates at the first of any month.

Thanks!

Susan

#29 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

I did a liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez a number of years ago, and was amazed at the amount of life there. I think Carla has a good thought on Cabo Pulmo, and I am up for that as an optional replacement for Chinchorro, or if EV gets the permits, as a future trip. Ed

I'm still interested in Chinchorro, when ever it gets approved. If not next year, maybe the next. Is EV the only operator that goes here?

And have you looked at a trip to Cabo Pulmo? I've heard the diving is great and that the government of Mexico is considering doing to Cabo Pulmo what it has done to Cabo San Lucas and Cancun. It's a pristine area now but once the time shares and hotels start getting built that probably won't be the case.

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

We have a number of tradeshows that we do and one of them is April 21st weekend. So that is part of the reason the trip was set up for April 28th. The other reason was it was when the charter was running and it does not run every weekend.

Riding/Driving to DEMA as we speak. Will arrive about 2am :( so will be doing set up tomorrow and the show starts Wednesday. It will be super crazy so will check in as I can.

But that is why we have this date.

I already have a problem for 2013 in that the PNW Show is April 20th weekend and the best date for our Bonaire trip is April 20-27 so trying to work that all out.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users