• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Green Thing...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

The Green Thing

> Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
>
> The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."
>
> The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
>
> She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
>
> Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
>
> We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.
>
> Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
>
> Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.
>
> We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.
>
> Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.
>
> But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?
>
> Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.
>
>
>
> Remember: Don't make old People mad.
> We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

Spot on - but I disagree with the last sentence. I enjoy getting older, every day, even though I never know what new ache I'll wake up with. Getting older is better than the alternative, breathing dirt!!! Youth exuberance vs older wisdom...

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

caveman.jpeg

Hmmmph!

You're right--we NEVER recycled. We just drank the milk straight from the source, so there was nothing to recycle afterwards. Provided we could chase it down, that is.

We climbed glaciers barefoot, because we didn't have fancy shoes and considered ourselves lucky if there was a goat path to follow.

Back then, we constantly tossed our furs away because we didn't have the tanned kind that lasted. We jerked meat on a sun-heated stone, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did jerk our meat back in our early days. Kids got scrap leavings from their brothers or sisters, not always freshly-killed. By then it was usually green.

Back then, we had one Seer, or Shaman, in the tribal cave -- not a soothsayer in every side tunnel. And the Seer had a small [redacted] the size of a [Redacted] (remember making fun of them?), not a [Redacted] the shape of the state of Florida . At the cooking fire, women blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have equality of work.

When we had a fragile item, we used gravel to cushion it, not peat moss.

Back then, we didn't invent a wheel just to trim the lawn. We used to graze on that lawn. We exercised by chasing down mammoths to milk so we didn't need to run as hard to get away from Sabre-toothed Tigers.

We drank from a green-covered stagnant pool when we were thirsty instead of giving up to dehydration when we were desperate for a drink of water. We used both sides of our clay tablets instead of dredging up more clay, and we replaced the flint blades in a spear instead of throwing away the whole spear just because the flint got dull.

Back then, people walked or limped everywhere especially during the local fauna's mating season instead of trying to mount the nearest passing stegosaurus heading in the right general direction.

You homo saps are right, though---we never worried about the future; staying alive in the present was tough enough.

Edited by PlatypusMan, 30 November 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#4 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Bravo PlatypusMan. Bravo.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,711 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

His mind is so warped... its a shame we can't harness and well do something with all that um...creative bs....er... brilliance!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Well, Platy had me until he had home sapiens riding on stegosaurs.... :lmao:
Posted Image

#7 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I haz PROOF in the form of a cave painting from France.

Proof.png

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

I haz PROOF in the form of a cave painting from France.

Proof.png

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

1322675568[/url]' post='293557']
caveman.jpeg

Hmmmph!

You're right--we NEVER recycled. We just drank the milk straight from the source, so there was nothing to recycle afterwards. Provided we could chase it down, that is.

We climbed glaciers barefoot, because we didn't have fancy shoes and considered ourselves lucky if there was a goat path to follow.

Back then, we constantly tossed our furs away because we didn't have the tanned kind that lasted. We jerked meat on a sun-heated stone, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did jerk our meat back in our early days. Kids got scrap leavings from their brothers or sisters, not always freshly-killed. By then it was usually green.

Back then, we had one Seer, or Shaman, in the tribal cave -- not a soothsayer in every side tunnel. And the Seer had a small [redacted] the size of a [Redacted] (remember making fun of them?), not a [Redacted] the shape of the state of Florida . At the cooking fire, women blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have equality of work.

When we had a fragile item, we used gravel to cushion it, not peat moss.

Back then, we didn't invent a wheel just to trim the lawn. We used to graze on that lawn. We exercised by chasing down mammoths to milk so we didn't need to run as hard to get away from Sabre-toothed Tigers.

We drank from a green-covered stagnant pool when we were thirsty instead of giving up to dehydration when we were desperate for a drink of water. We used both sides of our clay tablets instead of dredging up more clay, and we replaced the flint blades in a spear instead of throwing away the whole spear just because the flint got dull.

Back then, people walked or limped everywhere especially during the local fauna's mating season instead of trying to mount the nearest passing stegosaurus heading in the right general direction.

You homo saps are right, though---we never worried about the future; staying alive in the present was tough enough.

Man, I guess Im behind the times. This pretty much described my last week.

#10 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Man, I guess Im behind the times. This pretty much described my last week.

That's right---what others call paleolithic, you call Thursday, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users