• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I just found this on Facebook!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Secretsea18 is right...this is a very reputable operation and will certainly do more than the average operator in a similar situation. We hope they will rebound quickly and we look forward to our trip with them to Maldives. Siren has had an excellent safety record despite this unfortunate incident.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

The operator, Frank Van Der Linde, is meticulous with the safety briefing and there are multiple fire extinguishers everywhere in the boat. It is sad that this fire was not able to be contained and the boat was lost

That is precisely the point. "Multiple (portable) fire extinguishers" will be of no use against an engine room fire. What you have to do is exclude air, and once you open a doorway or hatch to gain access with your portable fire extinguisher all is lost. The ONLY form of fire extinguisher that can work is one that is fixed in place and can be operated remotely, and quickly. Easily done with say four large gas storage cylinders kept outside the engine room, with HP metal hoses to pipe the inert gas into the confined space. That is the only form of extinguisher that can work on a boat with inboard engines yet seemingly is never fitted, at any rate on the sort of boats we're considering.

As to insurance, if I had just lost all on that boat I would be looking to the operator to make good my loss. Whether or not i was insured would be irrelevant - it is the operator who needs to be insured.

My understanding is that the fire was caused by the dryer, not the engine. I am not certain where the dryer is located, but it may very well have been outside of the actual engine room in this boat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users