• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

List your worst travel habits and maybe others can help you break them!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Ok what are your worst travel habits?

Do you overeat when you travel?
Do you pack too much?

What are your worst travel habits and have you figured out ways to minimize or correct them? If so please share. If not hopefully our members can help with ideas!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Without a doubt, procrastinating/packing at the last minute. And that leads to packing too much and/or leaving something out!
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#3 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

When I return from dive trips, I list everything that's gotten wet or used. I use this list as a starting point when packing early for another trip.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Ellen I have the SAME PROBLEM!!!

Stan that is a great idea! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

Without a doubt, procrastinating/packing at the last minute. And that leads to packing too much and/or leaving something out!

Ellen I have this exact same issue. And the very sad part of it is, that I travel up to three weekends a month to dive!

I actually have come close to conquering the 2-day weekend driving-diving trip - but make it three days, or on a plane - and I'm a mess. And online at 11pm the night before, procrastinating, bc I don't want to deal with the stress of packing! I am working on a system but not there yet. I believe it will involve a checklist.
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#6 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'm probably a packing procrastinator too, but I do it so much with my work, that I'm pretty good last minute.

My biggest habit/challenge is that I cannot sleep on planes and have to crash immediately when I get to my destination. Doesn't matter what I do, eat, wear, or take. The WORST is when I have tried to take a sleeping pill and still can't sleep. Didn't sleep all of the way to Male last fall.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#7 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Ellen I have this exact same issue. And the very sad part of it is, that I travel up to three weekends a month to dive!

I actually have come close to conquering the 2-day weekend driving-diving trip - but make it three days, or on a plane - and I'm a mess. And online at 11pm the night before, procrastinating, bc I don't want to deal with the stress of packing! I am working on a system but not there yet. I believe it will involve a checklist.

Try packing on laundry cycle. Sure you have a suitcase laying around partially packed for a while but as I pull things from the dryer I pack them if I want them to go rather than putting them away. Maybe that's why......

I way over pack! 7 days 7 t-shirts. Wait you can wear one twice? NO!??!?!?!?!?! :o :o :o

I also tend to dehydrate during travel. I like a window seat to sleep and it is a huge pain to get up to pee. :sleepy: Waking people up on overnighters, making them fold up their tray, miss part of their movie, etc etc. I could try the aisle seat but then they weould hit me in the head with the drink cart as I lean over in the aisle asleep.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#8 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I also tend to dehydrate during travel. I like a window seat to sleep and it is a huge pain to get up to pee. :sleepy: Waking people up on overnighters, making them fold up their tray, miss part of their movie, etc etc. I could try the aisle seat but then they weould hit me in the head with the drink cart as I lean over in the aisle asleep.

So YOU are that guy! I usually take the aisle. Since I cannot sleep, even a little bit, I drink a lot, get up frequently to walk, etc. I beg borrow and plead to get the bulkhead when I can too as I am long legged.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Packing Hints:

1. Make a check list for dive travel or business travel etc. AS WELL AS AN ADHOC ONE OF ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE TO DO BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR A TRIP!
2. Consider leaving your trip clothes packed up and ready to go. Afterall do you really need diveskins and bathing suits and cute sarongs in the dead of winter? Most people pack things for vacation they normally do not wear year round. (Correction...most WOMEN is probably more accurate.)
3. As you start to think of things you need or want to take on a trip...put them in the suitcase NOW so they are there when you need them. Less stress...less time and the only real drawback is your suitcase out in the open but most of our are single so it doesn't matter anyway! ;)

formerly...

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I guess I'm guilty of the "What if syndrome".Ergo,to much brought on the trip.I'm working on trying to be a more conservative packer.I still remember that video of Stan aka Scubaski packing 101 & being so proficient....I don't think I'll ever be able to pack dive equipment & clothes in one bag.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#11 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

My biggest habit/challenge is that I cannot sleep on planes and have to crash immediately when I get to my destination. Doesn't matter what I do, eat, wear, or take. The WORST is when I have tried to take a sleeping pill and still can't sleep. Didn't sleep all of the way to Male last fall.

ME TOO!!! I always feel like death warmed over after flying overseas.

So you went diving in the Maldives last fall? I went on the Maldives Siren at the end of November! Amazing diving!!! I'd love to compare notes!!
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

#12 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

ME TOO!!! I always feel like death warmed over after flying overseas.

So you went diving in the Maldives last fall? I went on the Maldives Siren at the end of November! Amazing diving!!! I'd love to compare notes!!

Me TOO! I went in September.

The trip over was BRUTAL. And I got really sick in transit and missed the first three days of diving, almost had to bag the whole trip. The trip back was much better, we overnighted in Dubai and that made ALL of the difference in how the trip felt. So lesson learned. I will not try to do a 36 hour marathon on such trips in the future. The 24 hours in Dubai was fantastic, we moved around a lot, and it made the return more tolerable.

I was on the Carpe Vita, Explorer Ventures new boat. It was a fantastic boat. The diving was amazing. My avatar was from Day 1. What a day.

I want to go back there!

#13 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

my biggest problem is my "what if" obsession...What if I need that gizmo. I pack tools, extra regulators, and my BP,wing setup for doubles and a single wing and STA for singles. an O2 clean deco reg if a pony bottle is available. Then there is the emergency gear, a reel and a finger spool, a large SMB, and a lift bag, rescue strobe, divealert, star flash mirror, spare mask.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#14 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

my biggest problem is my "what if" obsession...What if I need that gizmo. I pack tools, extra regulators, and my BP,wing setup for doubles and a single wing and STA for singles. an O2 clean deco reg if a pony bottle is available. Then there is the emergency gear, a reel and a finger spool, a large SMB, and a lift bag, rescue strobe, divealert, star flash mirror, spare mask.

I can totally picture you, Jerry ! :lmao:
  • Jerrymxz likes this

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Jerry my first kit is nearly 50#...how in the world do you carry a 2nd one unless you don't bring anything to weart??? :o

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users