• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

List your worst travel habits and maybe others can help you break them!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Does anyone have a solution for the people who can not sleep on planes?

I am fortunate that I can ...and after pulling an all nighter to get ready for a trip I can't wait to get on the plane and sleep.

So for those who can't sleep on flights...have you tried pulling an all nighter so you are so exhausted you have to sleep?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

I am fortunate that I can ...and after pulling an all nighter to get ready for a trip I can't wait to get on the plane and sleep.

So for those who can't sleep on flights...have you tried pulling an all nighter so you are so exhausted you have to sleep?

I usually pull close to an all nighter before a trip, get maybe 2-3 hours of sleep. But I can't get moving when I get up without a ton of coffee. I should try a coffee free all nighter sometime and see if it works. If it doesn't, that would be sheer misery, but if it does, yay.

The worst trip ever was when I took sleep medication and didn't sleep.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes it has to be as much of a coffee/soda free night as possible and it should be 100% all nighter IF you can get a ride of course to the airport. Try green tea...it will give you a slight boost to stay awake but will let you sleep when you hit the plane.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#19 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Chemistry!! :teeth: :teeth:

On the Truck/Palau and a trip to New Zealand the year before I chewed Ambien like M & M's!! Probably not healthy and at some point I am sure I will wake up in a faraway land after sleeping through the exit process. But it helped. Not very restful but I was functional when I needed to be and the time passed.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#20 grim reefer

grim reefer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, trimix, cave, vip, etc
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

my biggest problem is my "what if" obsession...What if I need that gizmo. I pack tools, extra regulators, and my BP,wing setup for doubles and a single wing and STA for singles. an O2 clean deco reg if a pony bottle is available. Then there is the emergency gear, a reel and a finger spool, a large SMB, and a lift bag, rescue strobe, divealert, star flash mirror, spare mask.

I hear ya. Along with the dive gear and emergency equipment I just thow in some toiletries, a couple of t-shirts and enough clean undies for the duration and I'm done. Who needs clothes anyway?
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of forever - Jacques Cousteau

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

... a couple of t-shirts and enough clean undies for the duration and I'm done. Who needs clothes anyway?

While overrated for most men...my hubby included...the rest of us find them quite necessary...especially on others! LOL! :teeth:

formerly...

#22 grim reefer

grim reefer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, trimix, cave, vip, etc
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

... a couple of t-shirts and enough clean undies for the duration and I'm done. Who needs clothes anyway?

While overrated for most men...my hubby included...the rest of us find them quite necessary...especially on others! LOL! :teeth:

:lmao: Yes, most people look better in clothes, me included! but when I go to dive, I'm not trying to win a fashion contest :teeth:
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of forever - Jacques Cousteau

#23 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

If my flight is a daytime flight then no, I sleep normally (meaning my usual 5-6 hours) the night before my flight.
If my flight is an overnight flight (Fiji, Red Sea, Philippines, Indonesia) I typically have to work all day & start traveling after I get off work, through the night. In that case I sleep the night before because I HAVE to be productive at work my last day before vacation. If I can't sleep on the flight with the aid of a Tylenol PM or two and a couple of adult beverages, then I just read all night and force myself to stay awake all the next day so I sleep well my first night at my destination.

Seems to work for me. The Army trained me to do without sleep when necessary, I guess!
  • grim reefer likes this
Posted Image

#24 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

my biggest problem is my "what if" obsession...What if I need that gizmo. I pack tools, extra regulators, and my BP,wing setup for doubles and a single wing and STA for singles. an O2 clean deco reg if a pony bottle is available. Then there is the emergency gear, a reel and a finger spool, a large SMB, and a lift bag, rescue strobe, divealert, star flash mirror, spare mask.

Jerry my first kit is nearly 50#...how in the world do you carry a 2nd one unless you don't bring anything to weart??? :o

Just a second wing and sta. I reconfigure my BP and harness to accommodate either configuration. Then there is my camera gear, canister light, backup lights, batteries, and chargers, fins and wetsuits plus two dive computers.

I have a pelican case for the camera gear and all the batteries, chargers and canister light. My regs, computers, and “true essentials” go into my carryon bag that is the maximum legal size. My clothing is split between my carryon and packed with the rest of the dive gear into a military “A” bag. I have one of travel scales that SD sells and I use it.

Before I retired from the military last December Continental airlines allowed me two checked bags to 70lbs each so my kit was rather easy to get checked. Now that I don’t have my active ID card and have to get under the 50 lbs limit so the Cayman trip was “challenging”. But I still pack too much stuff.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#25 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

For all you "over-packers" out there who love to bring every piece of redundant gear you own:

When you travel with SD.com, anyone in the group would loan/give you anything you needed, were it necessary. In addition, if you are on a resort-based trip, you could rent something if you absolutely had to. Something to keep in mind, if you're trying to reduce what you bring on one of our trips.

For example, I'm picky about my reg, really like my primary setup. So I always travel with a spare first & second stage that is identical to my primary setup. If anybody had a failure, they could certainly use my backup. I also bring my primary & backup dive computer that function identically. But, if I have a BCD failure of some sort, I would just rent one for the rest of the week rather than try to pack two of them. I have had people loan me their spare light when I had a light-challenged trip while on a liveaboard, when everything I brought light-wise failed on me. I have loaned my spare wetsuit out when someone had their luggage delayed.

I can take a 2-week dive trip with one 50# checked bag and one carry-on. I'm a dive girl....I don't pack hair dryers, make-up, 8 pairs of shoes, or fancy clothes! :teeth:
Posted Image

#26 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Chemistry!! :teeth: :teeth:

On the Truck/Palau and a trip to New Zealand the year before I chewed Ambien like M & M's!! Probably not healthy and at some point I am sure I will wake up in a faraway land after sleeping through the exit process. But it helped. Not very restful but I was functional when I needed to be and the time passed.

Fred

I have a license to be a chemist. I carry all sorts of things to make one sleep. Doesn't touch me on a plane. Heck, they had to give me 20mg of Ambien to get me to sleep for a sleep study, and I was in a BED. But not MY bed.

Now if I could afford to put myself in FIRST, to lie down, there might be hope. But that is a pipe dream.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#27 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

I can't help with the sleep thing. I can barely stay awake on a plane. The minute the engines fire up I'm gone. Sometimes on a long haul there are enough interesting movies playing that I can stay awake and watch them but other wise it's lights out. For packing, I have my dive bag and my backpack. In my back pack goes my reg, my prescription mask, my laptop, meds and a change of clothes. Everything else goes in my dive bag. Fully loaded my dive bag weighs 32lbs. for clothes I bring half of the amount of shorts and t shirts as the days I am traveling. Enough underwear and two pair of flip flops. I wear tennies on the plane so I only need two pair of socks, one for going and one for returning. If I can not get it in my dive bag, it does not go. I also know that fully packed my bag is under the weight limit so I don't have to worry about it. I figure that I can rent anything that I really need except for my mask since it is prescription so I do not carry much in the way of back up anything.

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users