• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2012-08: Cayman Brac....the gem of the Caymans Aug 11-18, 2012 SINGLE'S WEEK!!

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#466 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Great news!

An upper level low pressure area moved, and now Tropical Storm Ernesto will track due west of it's current position, and well south of the Cayman Islands. May get some rain this week on Cayman Brac, but should not be much water disturbance at all!

And Tropical Storm Florence is completely disorganized out in the Atlantic

:wakawaka: Posted Image :dance:
Posted Image :twist: . Posted Image

Watch: http://www.weather.c...orence-20120803
Posted Image

#467 libra89

libra89

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi Stan,

One question for you... How are you going with just carry-ons? I was speaking with Mandi tonight and we both were lamenting on the strict baggage limits for Cayman Air.

I think all of us are on the Twin Otter service either going or coming back.

From Cayman Airways website:
When traveling to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman via the Twin Otter Service; Baggage allowance is 55 lbs per person (combined weight of up to 2 pieces) and only one 15 lb carry-on, any excess will be charged $.50 US per pound.

Well that REALLY sucks. I never make this limit....time to get creative. Ugh. Maybe I'll just have tp pay up. $.50 per pound over 55 isn't really that much. I mean, if you have a 45 lb check bag (I'm right around there usually) and a 30 lb carryon (yes, I have that too), that comes to 75 lbs. At $.50 per pound, it's only $10. I can handle that rather than skimp completely on clothing. Because you KNOW I am not skimping on gear (you can't really), and all the camera and techie stuff has to fly :)

#468 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Well that REALLY sucks. I never make this limit....time to get creative. Ugh. Maybe I'll just have tp pay up. $.50 per pound over 55 isn't really that much. I mean, if you have a 45 lb check bag (I'm right around there usually) and a 30 lb carryon (yes, I have that too), that comes to 75 lbs. At $.50 per pound, it's only $10. I can handle that rather than skimp completely on clothing. Because you KNOW I am not skimping on gear (you can't really), and all the camera and techie stuff has to fly :)

Yep, you're on a puddle-jumper. You might get lucky, but if not just pay the $10-$15. Your pictures are worth that! :D
Posted Image

#469 libra89

libra89

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi Stan,

One question for you... How are you going with just carry-ons? I was speaking with Mandi tonight and we both were lamenting on the strict baggage limits for Cayman Air.

I think all of us are on the Twin Otter service either going or coming back.

From Cayman Airways website:
When traveling to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman via the Twin Otter Service; Baggage allowance is 55 lbs per person (combined weight of up to 2 pieces) and only one 15 lb carry-on, any excess will be charged $.50 US per pound.

Gang check your flight numbers... if it is a 3 digit flight like 102 at 6:30 am it is Jet Service all the way. If it is a 4 digit flight like #4389 then it is Twin Otter Service.

Most if not all of you should be on jet service. And jet service is 55# per bag with 2 bags free.

I am on twin otter service it looks like - 4 digit flight numbers. Pooh. I am predicting that I am paying a baggage fee. Got to be joking if I think I can pack under 55 lbs of gear and clothes.....

#470 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Don't you ever return from a trip with something clean & unworn or dry and never wet?
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#471 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Edited by scubaski, 05 August 2012 - 10:03 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#472 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

:thankyou: Stan!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#473 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

Best Video Tour here but 30 min. Notice the LionFish being feed to Moray @ 17 & 18 minute.

Edited by scubaski, 06 August 2012 - 11:09 AM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#474 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

Where is the nearest chamber in Cayman?
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#475 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

Ernesto continues to march due west.....Roatan & Belize are likely to get a ton of rain, but it's still a Tropical Storm and not likely to organize into a hurricane. Florence has fallen apart and has been downgraded to a tropical depression. What's left of Florence is still projected to travel north of the Caymans, up in the Atlantic.

I told you that I have pretty good luck when it comes to vacationing in between storms this time of year!
:P
Posted Image

#476 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Where is the nearest chamber in Cayman?

It looks like there are two hyperbaric chambers in the Cayman Islands, but both are on Grand Cayman. Cayman chambers
Posted Image

#477 libra89

libra89

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

Don't you ever return from a trip with something clean & unworn or dry and never wet?

I used to, but I've gotten wiser about how much I pack. Most of the time everything that comes back now has been utilized :)

#478 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

IMPORTANT REMINDER:

As you pack this week, don't forget to put copies of important documents into a sealed envelope, put your name & screen name on the front, and bring it to the island with you. When you arrive on the island, give your envelope to Kamala aka WreckWench. Your envelope will remain sealed unless an emergency involving you arises where the information inside is needed. At the end of the trip, your envelope will be returned to you.

The contents can help in a variety of ways: if you are hurt, or are a victim of theft, or just plain lose your passport!

I tend to put the following in my sealed envelope:

A copy of: passport photo page, drivers license, health insurance and dental insurance cards (front & back), a list of medications I take, allergies I have, and any important medical history, and lastly how to reach my emergency contact.

You can also scan these documents and put them on your laptop or iPad, or email them to yourself, but the trip leader will not have access to them if that is the ONLY way you bring them to the island. If you are bringing a credit card with you, I also recommend that you put the account number and toll-free number either in your phone or on your computer or iPad, in case you lose the card and want to cancel it immediately. You can also call and 'unlock' a card if you forgot to tell the credit card company that you would be traveling.

Posted Image

#479 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

:thankyou: Tammy for our standard reminder...

Gang...when you travel on your own if anything happens I am the one that will travel back to the US if you need me...I am the one that makes sure Dive Assure or DAN is called or you get proper medical treatment. So help us help you... :thankyou: Kamala

p.s. The bank of kamala will also have cash if you need it so bring a check and you can write it for any amount you need. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#480 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

:thankyou: Tammy for our standard reminder...

Gang...when you travel on your own if anything happens I am the one that will travel back to the US if you need me...I am the one that makes sure Dive Assure or DAN is called or you get proper medical treatment. So help us help you... :thankyou: Kamala

p.s. The bank of kamala will also have cash if you need it so bring a check and you can write it for any amount you need. kamala

I'll be bringing a check for $1 million :cool2:

Does you bank have $1, $5, & $10, just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users