• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2012-09: Sept 1-8, 2012 NOW BOOKING Turks & Caicos!!!

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#226 Going Postal

Going Postal

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Can we hunt lionfish? That can make a slow dive a lot more fun.Posted Image
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow - What a ride!'"

#227 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hey gang checking in from Key West and Diving on the Atocha!

There are areas we can hunt and areas we can not hunt in. I will go prepared to hunt... kevlar gloves, shears to cut off spines and a good bag along with a lionfish tamer spear. Anyone want one?

I'll talk to Capt Ken about where we can hunt and make sure we dive in some of those places...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#228 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

COOL UPDATES:

Wanna see what awaits us? Check out ScubaFred's shark video HERE... VERY VERY COOL AND GREAT COLOR TOO! :respect:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#229 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

DOCUMENT UPDATE:

1. Carol aka galngotham, I have received your Waiver, Insurance Summary, and EV Docs! :thankyou:
As soon as I receive your Survey, you'll be all done!
Posted Image

#230 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

HEADS-UP!

Your first night aboard the boat will be Saturday, 9/1. Your last night aboard the boat will be Friday, 9/7. Everyone must depart the boat with all their luggage by 9am on Saturday, 9/8, regardless of your flight date/time. This gives the boat time to clean & re-stock before the next group arrives & boards on Saturday afternoon.

Many are not departing until 9/9 or after. I don't know when your check in time is at your hotel you're staying at on Saturday night....they may or may not allow early check in. I highly recommend wearing your swimwear under your clothes when you depart the boat on Saturday morning. Then you can go to your hotel, leave your luggage with the office, and sit on the beach (or at the pool bar) until check in time. Posted Image
Posted Image

#231 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

I'll take a lionfish tamer spear!! You can show me how to use it! :cool1: After seeing what those fish are doing, I want to do what I can to get rid of them!! BTW...I did not see one lionfish in Cozumel. :2cool:

Thanks for the info Tammy!! Good idea on the swimsuit! :teeth:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#232 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

Sure Sissy...I'll bring you one... will check pricing (I think they are $39 retail and $35 SD price) and we'll see if anyone else wants one. They work great and I'll be happy to show anyone how to use one that wants me too! I'll get an idea from Capt Ken how much we can hunt and we'll get a feel for how many people would be interested and we'll drive them away like they have in Cozy...actually they have just driven them deep but that is ok too... they have to eat themselves at those depths! :cool1:

formerly...

#233 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Doesn't T&C require all lionfish hunting to be done with a net?

#234 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Not sure as rules have changed...will be checking and let you know! kamala

formerly...

#235 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

DOCUMENT UPDATE:

1. Joe aka ThatJoeGuy, I have received your Insurance Summary! :wakawaka:

2. Carol aka galngotham, I have received your Survey! :dance:

You are both on the Who's Going List now! :cheerleader:

Thanks to everyone for getting their docs submitted so I can complete all the spreadsheets before the day job gets hectic! Much appreciated. :thankyou:
Posted Image

#236 Sir Pete

Sir Pete

Getting started

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster
  • Logged Dives:Logged 600+

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

There are areas we can hunt and areas we can not hunt in. I will go prepared to hunt... kevlar gloves, shears to cut off spines and a good bag along with a lionfish tamer spear. Anyone want one? I'll talk to Capt Ken about where we can hunt and make sure we dive in some of those places...

Kevlar Gloves? You have some? Is the boat loaning out pole spears or do we have to smuggle our own in? What's the bag for as we normally feed them to the other critters of the deep. :cool2:

#237 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Reef gloves won't do.....kevlar or lobster gloves will help keep those nasty spines from getting you. The boat had a couple of spears, but I don't know if they belong to the boat or to staff, and some of those staff have rotated to another EV boat since last year. If you want to hunt, best to bring your own spear. Kamala likes to have the boat's chef fry up some of the kill, so she carries a goodie bag. I don't recommend doing that in T&C unless you are willing to lose your goodie bag to a shark interested in your stash.....which happened to Kamala on the T&C trip in 2010. Kill 'em and feed 'em to an eel, grouper or whatever looks interested, or if you're sure they're D-E-A-D you can just let it drop. Something will eat it! :teeth:
Posted Image

#238 Sir Pete

Sir Pete

Getting started

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Reef gloves won't do.....kevlar or lobster gloves will help keep those nasty spines from getting you. The boat had a couple of spears, but I don't know if they belong to the boat or to staff, and some of those staff have rotated to another EV boat since last year. If you want to hunt, best to bring your own spear. Kamala likes to have the boat's chef fry up some of the kill, so she carries a goodie bag. I don't recommend doing that in T&C unless you are willing to lose your goodie bag to a shark interested in your stash.....which happened to Kamala on the T&C trip in 2010. Kill 'em and feed 'em to an eel, grouper or whatever looks interested, or if you're sure they're D-E-A-D you can just let it drop. Something will eat it! :teeth:

Interesting.. so what is a good manufacturer? I've just spoken to my Padi course director who says they are making a "sanitation" type dive glove. All news to me. Anything will help as it does sting a bit when those spines penetrate. :banghead:

Edited by Sir Pete, 27 July 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#239 Sir Pete

Sir Pete

Getting started

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

What is the EAN blend that the boat normally supplies 32% ??? :bam:

#240 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Are the spines still venomous even when the fish is dead? I need to research that. I saw one of the DMs in Bonaire get stung when he was cleaning our catch for frying after the dive. And he did quite a dance. It was still apparently very painful. But I am still not sure whether he actually just got pierced by the spine without any venom coming from the glands or if the glands can still release venom when the fish is dead. Does anyone know?

And no, I wouldn't carry them around with the reef sharks in T&C. It wasn't a problem in Bonaire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users