• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

my first deep dive!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,674 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:26 AM

Hey cutie...you are most welcome about the wetsuit! Glad you love it! Pinnacle loves you as well! :lmao:

And you know for your first deep dives that 120 might have been a tad deeper then most would recommend for you...but having said that...you seem to have done fine. (Just worried about you sweetie!) :teeth:

And as a side note...the first few times I went over 100 feet I was not noticably narced that I was aware of. However I did get more noticably narced the 4-6th time or so I did deep dives. I can not fully explain other then I went extremely slow the first times and lost track of my depth diving on a wall in the Caribbean someplace. I realized I was deep and came up to more reasonable diving depths. On deep dive 3 I knew I was going over 100 ft and I went down very very very slowly. I did not have any issues and so I assumed that I was fine and/or would not get narced. On deep dives 4-6 I descended what I believed to be my normal rate and I was VERY NERVOUS about being deep. I was panicky and paranoid with many of the same feelings as Jextract had. I did not know until much later that those are symptoms of being narced.

I have from time to time re-experienced those feelings when I'm overly tired (like the first dives of a dive trip)...when I'm dehydrated (like when we have too much fun and not enough H20) and when I'm stressed or worried (like trying new gear or diving in challenging conditions or even diving someplace new).

So dont' be surprised if you encounter them again...and fortunately it seems your system will handle those feelings better then some of us! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:05 AM

Congrats- what a great feeling to finish your first deep dive, huh? I love deep diving - sometime when you're deep diving, take a fresh egg down with you (carefully) and smash it at 100+ feet.... the egg and yolk will stay in tact with the pressure. Play with it, and bring it up with you - you'll see it slowly separate and eventually disintegrate, which is a good reminder of what happens to the air in your body when you dive deep. Okay, so it's kooky, but, hey....

#18 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:01 AM

What a great idea. I'm DMing for a Deep Diving class tomorrow - think I'll use this prop!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,674 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:04 AM

What a great idea. I'm DMing for a Deep Diving class tomorrow - think I'll use this prop!

It is really cool! I'm going to try it on my next deep dive...whoops! I guess that won't be next weekend in Athens! LOL!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#20 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:42 PM

I WAS meant to be DMing for a AOW Deep Dive tomorrow too, but with these lousy storms the dives been cancelled :cool2:

Anyway, whilst I havnt tried the egg experiment (heard abt it tho) Im pretty sure it would work at any depth, given that it works on the same principle as when you try and mix oil and water (different densities). Given that water has the same density at any depth the pressure would not have an effect on the egg experiment. ppl have said it works at 20'. Is there a physicist in the house?

Other cool underwater experiments are stuff that involves air. Try taking down a tennis ball, one half will fold inward on the other, when its brought up it will pop back into its original shape. Another is to take down a sealed plastic bottle (mind the extra bouyancy folks), as predicted it will be horribly crushed, you can then fill it with air and rocket it up to the surface. But remember, dont litter.

Edited by SquattingRadishDM, 22 October 2004 - 06:46 PM.

The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#21 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 23 October 2004 - 08:58 AM

I've never gotten the same result at 20' as I did at 100; let me know if you do (that would make it a more effective prop for any level if that's the case. The explanation I've recieved is about the air density of even the matter inside the yolk and white - the deeper you dive, the more compact the material gets. Even once out of the egg, at that pressure, it holds it compactness... Upon surfacing, it exapnds and the egg white matter starts to separate from the yolk, and so forth, until finally the yolk actually starts to fall apart. The tennis ball is another good prop too! Or foam.

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,674 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 09:38 AM

I've never gotten the same result at 20' as I did at 100; let me know if you do (that would make it a more effective prop for any level if that's the case. The explanation I've recieved is about the air density of even the matter inside the yolk and white - the deeper you dive, the more compact the material gets. Even once out of the egg, at that pressure, it holds it compactness... Upon surfacing, it exapnds and the egg white matter starts to separate from the yolk, and so forth, until finally the yolk actually starts to fall apart. The tennis ball is another good prop too! Or foam.

Hey girl...maybe your egg trick doesn't work at all depths...but your new avatar rocks at all depths!!! But then I loved the last one too! (Of course that was cuz you were at our first ever Rockin Houston Happy Hour when we took it!) :cool2:
-ww

formerly...

#23 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 23 October 2004 - 01:11 PM

Other cool underwater experiments are stuff that involves air. Try taking down a tennis ball, one half will fold inward on the other, when its brought up it will pop back into its original shape.

a good one with the tennis ball is to not let anyone know you have it, then at depth, tuck it into someones BC pocket. they get a surprise as they ascend.

:cool2:
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users