• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Calling all drysuit divers

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Ellen I will have to weight my suit or see if I can get info from the manufacturer. As with many things if you ask 5 people you'll get 5 different replies... but that's the scuba industry.

OTWDiver is a great resource when it comes to diving dry...he does it for a living. And while he has never tried the suit I use which stands up to a ton of abuse yet is easy to care for and use...nor would he as he never gets as cold as I do...he has used DUI and Whites extensively. And he is a rep for both...in fact the rep that DUI and White's has us use if people utilize our partnership with them. :cool1:

Ellen keep in mind that there are two parts to diving dry...one is the suit and the other is the thermals. You are very lean and female so will need MORE THERMALS than most people. In fact I would safely guess that your thermal properties are more like mine than anyone else in this thread.

That being said, you will be BEST served by trying out several brands of suits before you decide in order to not have a "kate" experience. Since when we move into the unknown...we don't know what we don't know. As a result we rely on other's experience to help us. This is only part of the equation. You need to see how the other's dive and how similar to you they are a divers and then test everything to be sure it works for you. Even something that works for me will not necessarily work for you and I'm extremely close in thermal properties and diving style! ;)

Great questions...take your time to explore and consider coming to SC to try out several suits if you like.

Also consider the fact that you have to learn to dive a dry suit. It is not natural nor instinctive. In fact it will be like learning to dive all over again. Recently I would have taken my suit with me but its been a while since I dove it and therefore since I have RAB's I was afraid to dive it as I need a few dives to reacclimate and I do not have that luxury when I have RAB's. So I dove wet and focused more on add'l thermals from Lava Core etc to keep me warm. And even with a drysuit you'll need thermals like lavacore etc. to keep you warm. (I suggest lavacore because they can be used both wet and dry and THAT is huge!)

Call me if you like...we can also talk more as well as type out novels! LOL! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thanks again everyone! I think my best bet may be to attend a DOG days weekend. They say I don't have to be Dry Certified. As Kamala said, I don't know what I don't know! I went through 3 BCDs before I finally ended up with my BP/W. THAT was a very expensive journey!
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

BC's are cheap compared to drysuits... ;)

A DUI DOG day is a great idea...especially if you try it someplace much colder than where you'll be typically diving it. Then you'll fully understand the thermals better. And if you still cold...then its probably a guy who did not suggest enough thermal protection as they only need a fraction of what we need.

And no you don't need to be certified to try them...they have instructors that will ensure you don't get into trouble. Even if you think you find one that will work for you...you may find others that will work better. Pls consider trying several and I'll talk to you more about how often you'll be diving it and what you expect from it etc. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#19 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'll do my best; the White's is a two piece design. The inner suit is a thin high tech plastic bag that would be too big if it were not for the outer skin of either a lycra or high stretch thin neoprene depending on the model of suit. The outer is only attached at the wrists, neck, zipper and ankles. This allows the inner suit to move like a suit that is too big but it is kept streamlined by the outer suit. The inner is wrinkled like a Sharpea’ (the dog). With mid level underwear on it has more flexibility than my 3mil wet suit. I can get to my valves on my doubles easier. I did a demo dive in one while living in NC and fell in love with it. I dive dry from 70deg on down. I have no need what so ever for 7mm neoprene. I hope this helps.

So Jerry, is it a Fusion Sport or Tech or is it a Legacy Catalyst and what is the difference?

I bought mine as a Fusion tech( neoprene outer). But they were in the middle of a huge military buy and could not ship my suit for several months. So they shipped it to me in the Sport configuration (Lycra outer). then when my Tech skin was ready they sent it to me with their thanks and told me to keep the Sport outer for my understanding. That's another reason I'm a big fan. The two parts are held together with velcro and rather easy to switch out. I have no experience with the Legacy but I think it's a trilam suit. I think DaveL has one but I'm not sure.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#20 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'll do my best; the White's is a two piece design. The inner suit is a thin high tech plastic bag that would be too big if it were not for the outer skin of either a lycra or high stretch thin neoprene depending on the model of suit. The outer is only attached at the wrists, neck, zipper and ankles. This allows the inner suit to move like a suit that is too big but it is kept streamlined by the outer suit. The inner is wrinkled like a Sharpea’ (the dog). With mid level underwear on it has more flexibility than my 3mil wet suit. I can get to my valves on my doubles easier. I did a demo dive in one while living in NC and fell in love with it. I dive dry from 70deg on down. I have no need what so ever for 7mm neoprene. I hope this helps.

So Jerry, is it a Fusion Sport or Tech or is it a Legacy Catalyst and what is the difference?

I bought mine as a Fusion tech( neoprene outer). But they were in the middle of a huge military buy and could not ship my suit for several months. So they shipped it to me in the Sport configuration (Lycra outer). then when my Tech skin was ready they sent it to me with their thanks and told me to keep the Sport outer for my understanding. That's another reason I'm a big fan. The two parts are held together with velcro and rather easy to switch out. I have no experience with the Legacy but I think it's a trilam suit. I think DaveL has one but I'm not sure.

Thanks Jerry!
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#21 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Ellen, I have the benefit of owning both the tls450 and the Whites Bullet fusion.

The benefit that DUI had with its zip seals has just been answered by Whites with their silicone seals. They are comfortable and sooooo much dryer than latex seals. Glad to have the ability to change the seals myself in the field if needed but also I can't express how much more comfortable the silicon is.

The issue with the extra material in the inner layer is dependent on the size you need. The design covers a range of sizes and therefore can be just right or on the extreme of needing the next size up or down. I recommend a demo of the suit to compare and understand how the fit can be adjusted several ways by even mixing a different size outer skin to give the correct fit. I have been teaching dry suit diving for 15 years and hands down the white's fusion dives different and in my opinion easier if properly fit. Less drag and superior range of motion.

I still dive both suits but preference is given to my bullet with silicon seals. Come to SC and demo one if you want to be sure before you spend some big money.
  • Jerrymxz likes this
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#22 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Bill - how do the silicon seals compare with neoprene ones?

#23 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Still have that relationship with White's?Posted Image

Ellen I will have to weight my suit or see if I can get info from the manufacturer. As with many things if you ask 5 people you'll get 5 different replies... but that's the scuba industry.

OTWDiver is a great resource when it comes to diving dry...he does it for a living. And while he has never tried the suit I use which stands up to a ton of abuse yet is easy to care for and use...nor would he as he never gets as cold as I do...he has used DUI and Whites extensively. And he is a rep for both...in fact the rep that DUI and White's has us use if people utilize our partnership with them. Posted Image

Ellen keep in mind that there are two parts to diving dry...one is the suit and the other is the thermals. You are very lean and female so will need MORE THERMALS than most people. In fact I would safely guess that your thermal properties are more like mine than anyone else in this thread.

That being said, you will be BEST served by trying out several brands of suits before you decide in order to not have a "kate" experience. Since when we move into the unknown...we don't know what we don't know. As a result we rely on other's experience to help us. This is only part of the equation. You need to see how the other's dive and how similar to you they are a divers and then test everything to be sure it works for you. Even something that works for me will not necessarily work for you and I'm extremely close in thermal properties and diving style! Posted Image

Great questions...take your time to explore and consider coming to SC to try out several suits if you like.

Also consider the fact that you have to learn to dive a dry suit. It is not natural nor instinctive. In fact it will be like learning to dive all over again. Recently I would have taken my suit with me but its been a while since I dove it and therefore since I have RAB's I was afraid to dive it as I need a few dives to reacclimate and I do not have that luxury when I have RAB's. So I dove wet and focused more on add'l thermals from Lava Core etc to keep me warm. And even with a drysuit you'll need thermals like lavacore etc. to keep you warm. (I suggest lavacore because they can be used both wet and dry and THAT is huge!)

Call me if you like...we can also talk more as well as type out novels! LOL! Posted Image

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Yep!

formerly...

#25 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Great, sent you an email. Let me know

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Anyone who wants to come to Dive Buddy Lane can try on various drysuits and try them out at the lake and/or take classes as well. And we'll save you money too due to our partnerships! :cool1:

formerly...

#27 Jay

Jay

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE Tech 1
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

My 2 cents.

I dive year round in 42 - 48 degree water and a drysuit is mandatory if you want to stay in more than 45 minutes or do a 2nd/3rd dive.
My suit currently is a TLS350 with zips in neck and wrists. If cut right and maintained well, there's little risk of leaking. (No drysuit is foolproof) Zips give the advantage of zip dry gloves (which lots of us dive) or wet gloves. In warmer water or tropical, no gloves or hood. Tear one, and change it in 5 minutes.
The 350 is light and great to pack for travel. I've not had any issues with wear and tear. I had a CLX450 and found it too heavy.

Undergarments are key. I have both a Santi one piece and 4th Element 2 piece. The Santi is best for thermal, but the 2 piece of the 4th Element allows for a light shirt if water is wamer (like 55+ degree "pool water") and with heated vests for those longer deco stops in cold temps.

DUI Dog days is a great idea. Those guys are top shelf IMO.

My 2nd choice is Santi and I may pick one up next year as I'm seeing them more and more and like what I'm hearing.

#28 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Did the DUI Demo day last weekend at Dutch Springs, PA. It really is great that you can try on and run the different suits through their paces. I tried on the CLX and the TLS. I definitely also gravitated to the TLS for it's lightweight design as my intention is not to only dive locally but travel with it too. The TLS also seemed to have better bouyancy characteristics and was easier to manage the bubble movement. It really was a great diving suit. I wasn't a huge fan of the Zip Seals for the dry gloves though. You have to attach the gloves to the dry suit before you suit up. Getting the rest of you gear on and off with the bulk of the dry gloves is difficult. Also if you tear a glove, dive is over and you're dealing with a suit flooding.

I did a lot of research and right now I'm leaning towards a White's drysuit because I like the light weight of it and how streamlined it is in the water. Being able to change the outer shell of the suit easily and realtively inexpensively is also a huge draw for me since I am planning to dive it in many different environments. You can also have rings installed that allow you to maintain the dry wrist seals and have a dry glove over it so i you tear a glove the suit maintains it's dry integrity. The gloves can also be attached and removed at any point by yourself with a simple twisting locking mechanism.

I am the definition of a warm water wuss. I've never even dove in the continental US much less NJ. But I spent a day in 50 degree water and loved it! Have to say thank you to Kamala as she's helping me get outfitted in a drysuit through her dealer partnerships getting me a better deal than anything I've found locally or online! Can't wait to get back in the water.

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

We aim to please! :thankyou:

formerly...

#30 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ellen,

I happened to have gone to the DUI Dog Days closest to me, it reminded me of this thread.

Did you get a chance to try out some different drysuits this Summer? Purchase one? Rent for a while? Or just decide warm water diving was where it is at?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Keith

aka MNJoe

Edited by MNJoe, 06 September 2013 - 03:52 PM.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users