• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Reactive or Proactive? Just in Time or Overkill?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Perspective is amazing... I've seen situation where one person thinks an action is reactive and another thinks it is proactive? Perhaps its timing? So what do you think? Are you more reactive or proactive? Do you believe in 'just in time' solutions or over preparedness well in advance? And does the situation affect your thoughts or timing before/after the matter make more difference?

Take taxes... are you proactive or reactive? Just in time...or get er done months in advance?

Or your health? Are you taking measures now to prevent health issues down the road or just worrying about them when they present themselves?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

What an interesting question! It's so thought provoking that I'm going to try to answer it instead of packing for my trip :rolleyes:

Hopefully, I'm much wiser with age. I try very hard to be proactive with everything I do. This goes for raising my son, planning my finances, and maintaining my health, both physical and emotional. I spent all of my life until about ten years ago reacting to everything and my life was always a mess. My life is far from perfect now, but it's certainly better than it was and getting better all the time.

This is where I get into trouble and react: fear/anxiety pure and simple. A couple of examples: last year I was so freaked out over a change in my tax situation that I froze, did nothing and ended up with a bigger mess. This year, I learned my lesson. I jumped in, did the necessary work and research, and actually came out ahead.

This one is just stupid, but I still do it: I get so anxious before dive trips that I put off packing and preparation until the very last minute. The repercussions are obvious. The overkill comes in when I start throwing in everything but the kitchen sink into my bag for fear of not having enough. It's craziness!!! But here I am again :banghead:

One other thing... I've been involved in a very sad, messy legal situation with a family member for almost two years now. I was allowing it to consume me and every little thing that happened would cause me to react - it would ruin my day or even week. I felt victimized and that I had no control. When I realized that this family member was not going to change and that I needed to take ownership of my position/decision, I was able to change how I approached the entire situation. It has really been transformative. Now if I could just translate that to how I handle snarky divers!!! :lmao:

So, that is my two cents worth of couch potato wisdom. Not sure if I interpreted your question correctly...

Thanks for the topic, Kamala! :thankyou:
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

I think you did just great! And you offered some very interesting perspectives as well! :respect:

As for packing... you might try a check list... then its easier to pack no matter how late in the game it is. OR simply leave the suitcase with your dive gear ALWAYS PACKED and then you only have to worry about your personal stuff.

As for the family member...as with all situations that hurt us personally especially if we really have done nothing wrong... falling into their trap of trying to make you suffer makes it worse for you and compounds the situation. They say "in time of need...sow a seed" and the result will help you with your own issues.

So if you need help...you are supposed to help others. If you need kindness you are supposed to be kind to others and so forth. Its a proactive way to managing problems vs the traditional reactive way which is to feel sorry for yourself and expect others to make you/us feel better.

So I'm taking my own advice and I'll be sowing a lot of seeds.... :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users