• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY 2015-03: SAVE THE DATES for BEST OF FIJI.... March 10-20, 2015 + 1 WEEK Landbased TBD

• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#91 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

FIJI FOR 2014+ (Oct - April are best months):

Fiji is now on the watch list for 2014+. Thank you for the insight as to when people can do it. I currently have:

1. KimBuddah 2 weeks Jan is fine (bday timeframe)
2. Critterwatcher 1 week but Jan does not work
3. Buzo Guero anytime in 2014 but Dec which is Galapagos if pkg is right
4. Sqbapal 2014 open for me. Fiji is a must do.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#92 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have made a couple of trips to Fiji, and love it. I am interested in another. If the schedule works, and all things allow, I will be there for 2 weeks. I would expect my sister to join as well, with the possibility of one of both of the people that joined me in October to be interested. As I plan on Truk and the second trip, I would be looking for some time lapse between that trip and a return to Fiji, to allow recovery time and financial matters to work out. Ed

Fiji is now on the watch list for 2014+. Thank you for the insight as to when people can do it. I currently have:

#93 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Fji interests me as well. I'm currently looking at trips for later this year and early next year but I'll have to decide which ones or one I will do in 2014. If I end up committing to one cheaper trip (<$3k) I won't be able to do a Fiji trip or Truk but if commit to a more expensive one for 2014 I might be able to get either Truk or Fiji in. If I get the cheaper on in I can likely do another cheaper one in Spring 2014.

Anyone have opinions on diving Truk Lagoon and then (Pala or other secondary location) or the Fiji trip? Preferences? I'm sure they are both unique so I guess I'm looking at what would distinguish them to make a decision on either one.

Thanks for your time and review.

#94 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

That is a bit difficult to answer for someone else. On almost every trip that I have been on, I have seen someone call a particular dive the best dive of the week, while also hearing another diver call the same dive the poorest dive of the week. Everyone has different interests, and that determines their preferences. For me, my top interests are pelagics, soft corals, fish life, structure..... Wrecks are not that high on my list. That said, Truk was amazing, and I will return. Palau had a lot of beautiful diving, and a lot of high energy diving. Fiji has some of the most beautiful reefs anywhere, with an amazing amount of life. If I were to list my ten best dives ever, Truk, Palau, and Fiji would fill a lot of the slots, and you will not go wrong with either choice. If you have an interest in history, the war, or wrecks, I would say Truk is the obvious choice. If you do not have any special interest in any of those, which ever trip worked best into your schedule is probably the biggest reason to choose one spot over the other. The Fiji trip that Kamala put together for me for last October was amazing. We spent a week at two different resorts, and I can strongly recommend that package for other divers. The price was a bit cheaper than the Truk / Palau trip, and the travel was a bit easier. On the other hand, after the Truk / Palau trip a couple years ago, I found myself having a lot more interest in the wreck diving, and that is drawing me back there. The first time I did the trip, I was doing it more for Palau and the sharks. After diving Truk and seeing the wrecks there, my interest is now in the wrecks and Truk. That says a lot. I guess the best way to say it is that both places are a once in a life time destination that you should try to get to, and I plan of doing each of those once in a life time trips multiple times. Ed

Anyone have opinions on diving Truk Lagoon and then (Pala or other secondary location) or the Fiji trip? Preferences? I'm sure they are both unique so I guess I'm looking at what would distinguish them to make a decision on either one.

#95 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Some helpful...(I hope) information.

1. When we do Fiji again...it will be our 3rd trip to this amazing destination. And most likely we'll do it again in a couple of years IF we fill the trip out this time.

2. When we do Truk and _______ (Palau or other trip) it will be the 2nd trip for Truk and since it will fill out quickly I expect that we'll offer it a third time in a few years IF we fill the trip out this time.

3. Most of the "most" amazing trips we try to offer again since they are in fact so amazing!

I hope this helps. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#96 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

That is a bit difficult to answer for someone else. On almost every trip that I have been on, I have seen someone call a particular dive the best dive of the week, while also hearing another diver call the same dive the poorest dive of the week. Everyone has different interests, and that determines their preferences. For me, my top interests are pelagics, soft corals, fish life, structure..... Wrecks are not that high on my list. That said, Truk was amazing, and I will return. Palau had a lot of beautiful diving, and a lot of high energy diving. Fiji has some of the most beautiful reefs anywhere, with an amazing amount of life. If I were to list my ten best dives ever, Truk, Palau, and Fiji would fill a lot of the slots, and you will not go wrong with either choice. If you have an interest in history, the war, or wrecks, I would say Truk is the obvious choice. If you do not have any special interest in any of those, which ever trip worked best into your schedule is probably the biggest reason to choose one spot over the other. The Fiji trip that Kamala put together for me for last October was amazing. We spent a week at two different resorts, and I can strongly recommend that package for other divers. The price was a bit cheaper than the Truk / Palau trip, and the travel was a bit easier. On the other hand, after the Truk / Palau trip a couple years ago, I found myself having a lot more interest in the wreck diving, and that is drawing me back there. The first time I did the trip, I was doing it more for Palau and the sharks. After diving Truk and seeing the wrecks there, my interest is now in the wrecks and Truk. That says a lot. I guess the best way to say it is that both places are a once in a life time destination that you should try to get to, and I plan of doing each of those once in a life time trips multiple times. Ed

Ed, Thank you VERY much for your reply. I completely understand how hard it can be to write about this but your post sums it up pretty good. I'll just have to see which one works out and take it from there. I am interested in wrecks (having just gotten my wreck cert) but reefs can also be amazing. The great part about the wrecks is that as old as the ones are in Truk they have really (from what I understand) become reefs of their own and have tons of wildlife. Hope to see you on one of the trips.

Some helpful...(I hope) information.

1. When we do Fiji again...it will be our 3rd trip to this amazing destination. And most likely we'll do it again in a couple of years IF we fill the trip out this time.

2. When we do Truk and _______ (Palau or other trip) it will be the 2nd trip for Truk and since it will fill out quickly I expect that we'll offer it a third time in a few years IF we fill the trip out this time.

3. Most of the "most" amazing trips we try to offer again since they are in fact so amazing!

I hope this helps. kamala

Thanks Kamala! Good to hear that you'll be repeating the trips! I'm salivating just thinking about either of these trips. They both sound soooooo amazing.

#97 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

If you have an interest in wrecks as you say, I would strongly lean toward the Truk trip, if it is doable then. The wrecks there were some of the prettiest reefs that I have ever seen. You are not sacrificing anything as far as reef diving goes while diving the wrecks of Truk. From a reef, coral, sea life stand point, it is amazing diving. Of course,the wrecks, the history, the tanks, planes, etc that are all there, is the reason that almost everyone dives the lagoon. The best way I can say it is that from a wreck enthusiasts stand point, it is amazing wreck diving, with beautiful coral and sea life as a bonus. From a non wreck divers point, it is amazing and beautiful reef diving, with a huge bonus of history, wrecks, and incredible sights not seen other places. Ed

[/quote]
[/quote]

Ed, Thank you VERY much for your reply. I completely understand how hard it can be to write about this but your post sums it up pretty good. I'll just have to see which one works out and take it from there. I am interested in wrecks (having just gotten my wreck cert) but reefs can also be amazing. The great part about the wrecks is that as old as the ones are in Truk they have really (from what I understand) become reefs of their own and have tons of wildlife. Hope to see you on one of the trips.

[quote name='WreckWench' timestamp='1363526015' post='307398']

#98 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Easiest time for me to take time off would be the last two weeks in March, but I'd absolutely consider other dates just to dive Fiji!

Susan

#99 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

5. DiverEd between Truk and 2nd Galapagos trip in 2014 or say Feb 2015 and would like to see Solomons as possible add-on
6. Resqdew last 2 weeks in March but would consider other dates
7. ScubaTurtle unclear what dates...depends on other trips he takes

formerly...

#100 AirHead

AirHead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hey Kamala,

I am interested in Fiji and am open to any time except that I like to stay home over Christmas/NYE.

Buz
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#101 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

If you have an interest in wrecks as you say, I would strongly lean toward the Truk trip, if it is doable then. The wrecks there were some of the prettiest reefs that I have ever seen. You are not sacrificing anything as far as reef diving goes while diving the wrecks of Truk. From a reef, coral, sea life stand point, it is amazing diving. Of course,the wrecks, the history, the tanks, planes, etc that are all there, is the reason that almost everyone dives the lagoon. The best way I can say it is that from a wreck enthusiasts stand point, it is amazing wreck diving, with beautiful coral and sea life as a bonus. From a non wreck divers point, it is amazing and beautiful reef diving, with a huge bonus of history, wrecks, and incredible sights not seen other places. Ed

Thanks again Ed. I'll take your further feedback into consideration when choosing the trips. I'm not as much of a history buff as some wreck divers I'm sure but my interest is gaining I think as I'm able to explore more now. After visiting such historical sites I think it often changes a persons mind about things. It really helps put some things in perspective.

So much diving possible, so little time and money to accomplish it in. Once the price points come out for the trips is when I'll probably be able to make my decision. Although I'm guessing they will be close in price.

#102 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Definitely interested. All I have planned for 2014, so far, is Galapagos. As I'll be traveling to Hawaii with my sons over the holidays in 2013, it would work best for me to plan for Fiji in a Feb/Mar time frame. Last time I was there was in April & it was fantastic. I am looking to fill this gap in my diving schedule, so, am intrigued with these plans. Will keep eyes on this thread & will also keep looking.

:thankyou:/> !!!

#103 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

SOMETHING TO CONSIDER...

One of our divers... DiverEd has done some extensive research on doing a liveaboard in Fiji for at least 1 week and then do a land based for a week. We'd probably do the landbased first to ensure everyone got there ok and all their luggage arrived. Then we'd transition to the liveaboard. We are looking at Siren since we have good relationships with them and just did our first Siren trip. While not entirely problem free...most issues were attributed to it being the smallest and oldest vessel in the Siren fleet and the Fiji vessel is actually one of the newest and largest. Its also suited for LOTS of single and solo travelers.

I'm going to post the material that Diver Ed has so nicely researched for us and while not exhaustive nor complete...its a great start for us to have a serious discussion on. Also Ed has done a number of SD trips and knows what we need for a great SD experience. AND he just did two locations in Fiji last year that SD's travel team booked him on so he's quite knowledgeable as well.

Times to Dive...
For starters, there are two seasons. Wet is Nov to April, which has
heavy, brief showers. That is cyclone season as well. Over the past
150 or so years, Fiji has averaged just over one cyclone per year,
with the heaviest season being between Dec and April. Like anywhere
else, those are long term averages that balance out heavy years where
there are several, with quiet years when there are none. The May to
Nov dry season has cooler temps, and slight to moderate winds. Daytime
temperatures range from an average of 25°C (77°F) during the dry
season, up to 31°C (88°F) in the wetter months whilst evenings are
marginally cooler and can drop to just 21°C (70°F). Water
temperatures are broadly similar throughout the region; the coolest
waters are usually to be found in July to October with an average of
approximately 26°C (78°F). Warmer waters are common in February- June
with averages of approximately 28°C (82°F).

Diving:
The Siren departs near Volivoli. It is close to 3 hours drive from the airport
to Volivoli so suggest at least 1-3 days diving there as one option or just commute and transfer to the boat. The Siren dives the Bligh waters near Volivoli, up toward the Southern end of Venua Levu, then towards the islands of Gau and Wakaya. Those two islands are East of the Bligh waters area. The Siren dives the Eastern areas, as well as an area further North off of Venua Levu, the Somosomo strait and the Koro island. Given how much territory the Siren covers you may want to look at the 10 day itinerary, vs the 7 day one. While more expensive keep in mind the Siren will do 4 dives a day and the land based will only do 2 dives a day so that offsets the price quite a bit.

Pricing:
7 days 10 days
Price- 2013 prices: Siren- 2595 Euro 3595 Euro

At the current exchange rate, the Siren is about $200 cheaper than any other option in the area. Of course, you are put in the same situation that you were with the Maldives trip. Who knows what the exchange rate will be in two years. The rate was 1.33 when you initially booked the Maldives trip.
It went up to about 1.4, then fell to 1.2. Presently, it is around 1.3. In 2 years, it can be 1.5 or more, it can be less than 1, or it can be in a huge transition. It depends on what happens over there. IMO...
Germany is tired of bailing out everyone. That had something to do with Cyprus and the bank depositors losing a lot of their money with the recent bailout I am sure. Germany does have an election this Fall, and that may effect how things go with the Euro greatly. That being said you may want to just lock in now as we are at a pretty low rate and call it good. This is something your divers can help decide.

Boat Configuration:
Siren looks like it has 8 rooms with a double and a twin in each, with each room having their own bathroom. Looks a lot better then any other options. I think the Siren is the better SingleDivers option all the way around. The question is a 7 day trip or a 10 day trip. The live aboards there are rather expensive, so that will be an expensive trip either way. The resorts at Fiji usually offer 2 dives a day. The live aboard offers
at least 4 a day. More diving is more money. I know that if you booked a land based spot, you would normally arrange a third dive each day, but they require at least 5 divers wanting the third dive. When we were there we didn't have that.

My Thoughts...:
I would also look at a May time frame. (I think you did Fiji in May once before and had a wonderful trip.) The dry season is cooler, but less wind. May is not in the dry season, but at the end of the wet season, outside the main cyclone threat, and close enough to the
season change over that you should have a better option of less wind and fewer heavy rains while still having the warmer water. I will look further into weather patterns for that time of year.

formerly...

#104 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

For 2014, I would need to choose betweek Truk & Fiji, which might not end up being all that big of a problem, depending on when the Fiji trip falls. I would choose the live-aboard option & would be open to the 10 day itinerary. Galapagos is a lock, with money in.

:thankyou:/>

#105 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

3. Buzo Guero almost anytime in 2014 but Dec which is Galapagos if pkg price is right - WOULD DO LIVEABOARD AND LIKE THE 10 DAY OPTION
5. DiverEd between Truk and 2nd Galapagos trip in 2014 or say Feb 2015 and would like to see Solomons as possible add-on
6. Resqdew last 2 weeks in March but would consider other dates
7. ScubaTurtle unclear what dates...depends on other trips he takes
8. Buz anytime just not NYE/Christmas

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users