• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Shared food for thought - Share Yours!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:30 AM

On another dive related board, which shall remain anonymous at this time, we're exchanging favorite recipies, along with any story that goes with it and putting togather a cook book. Here is my contribution.

Pickled Prawns

Mom was schooled in cooking by her grandparents, (who where French chefs), from the age of 6, on the proper way to prepare food. As an adult, she was/is confused about her children’s lack of cooking skills. Never mind the fact that her kitchen was hers, and we weren’t allowed. She can cook, so we must be able to, even without proper training. (Note she has relented with her grandson who enjoys cooking, and is willing to teach him some of her magic).

Step 1
Pickling juice- to be poured over the cooked prawns.

½ teaspoon garlic salt 2 whole bay leaves
1 cup vinegar ½ teaspoon paprika
1 cup water Dash of cayenne pepper
½ cup sugar ½ teaspoon white pepper
3 tablespoons whole mix pickling spices

Bring to boil, and boil for 5 min.

Step 2
Cooking Prawns

2qrts water 3 tablespoons pickling spices
1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon paprika 2 whole bay leaves
½ teaspoon chili powder Dash of cayenne pepper
Prawns (mom didn’t say how much, I think 2 pounds)

Bring to boil, and simmer 5-8min.
Drain cooked prawns, and place in ice water to cool.
Put cooled prawns in jars, and cover with juice from step 1. Prawns should be pickled for a couple of days before consuming, but will keep 4 to 5 weeks.

Step 3.
Cocktail sauce

1 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon Lea&Perrins
1 tablespoon FRESH lemon juice (if you use the stuff in the squeeze bottle, start over).
3 tablespoons of brown sugar.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#2 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:39 PM

Sonny, I like you need to post your Athens shrimp recipe. I have already told a dozen non-divers already.

#3 VaScubaGirl

VaScubaGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

Hmmm....this could be hard (my favorite recipe is only in my head!). I'll give it a whirl though...feel free to adjust the seasonings to taste :wakawaka:

Tomato Dill Soup

First you saute some finely chopped onion and garlic in a saucepan (about 1/2 of a medium onion and at least 4-5 cloves of garlic). I use butter or olive oil to do this, theya re both good :P Then add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the pot (we're making a roux) enough that all the oil and liquid is sucked up and it's dry and pebbly. While whisking (whisk whisk whisk!!) sloooowwwwly add a half a pint of heavy cream (didn't say this was a diet soup!) until it is well incorporated. Then add somewhere between 16 and 32 ounces of crushed tomatoes. I know I know, there's a lot of lee way in there, but it depends on how much flour you put in to start. So just eyeball it...the soup should be a reddish pink. Add white pepper and salt to taste and let simmer for about an hour. Then, right before you sever, finely chop up everal sprigs of fresh dill and mix it into the soup. If you have to use dried dill make sure you put it in right after the salt and pepper because it will need the extra cooking time. To serve, put in a bowl, add a small dollop of sour cream to the center and a small piece of fresh dill on it and serve with garlic bread. Yum!!! :lmao:
Follow your bliss, just don't follow it too closely in case it stops suddenly!

#4 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:32 PM

OH man!! :cool1: reading these are making me hungry!!!! and since I'm typing I'll be sure to add one of my favorites and like VaScubagirl this one is also in my head and not written down.

Chicken Piccata "Yummy" :banghead:

6 Chicken breasts
Flour
Fresh Lemons
Capers (6 oz bottle)
Your favorite white wine
Egg Wash
Salt and White Pepper
Light Olive Oil or your favorite cooking oil

With each chicken breast pound it out with a meat mallet to a desired thickness, I usually do mine thin, but not too much. Mix your flour with Salt and White Pepper and dip each chicken breast coating it lightly, then into an Egg Wash consisting of Fresh Eggs and a small amount of water just to thin out the mixture a little.

In a large skillet on medium heat pour in a light amount of oil to coat the bottom of the pan (best if using a non stick pan) once oil is heated, place chicken breasts coated with egg mixture and cook until golden brown. Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm. Turn heat down to low and with the contents of the skillet loosen any chicken breading from the bottom and then slowly add white wine, capers and squeeze fresh lemon juice into mixture.. simmer for a very short time, then return chicken into the skillet and continue simmering for about 10 minutes turning chicken occasionally if sauce becomes to thick add more wine and lemon juice to thin it out. Once completed, serve with wine/lemon sauce on top and it's great with any side dish and white wine.

Enjoy!!!

Dejah

#5 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:47 PM

I'm gonna have to give that one a try I'm a big Chicken or Veal Piccata fan. Hmmmn! :banghead:

#6 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:09 AM

This is a really tasty pie I make for holidays like thanksgiving or xmas. I've used Jack Daniels as well as Remy Martin both tasted great. I'll be using Remy for thanksgiving this year.

Cognac Cream Pie

5 Egg Yolks
3/4 C Sugar
1 Env Gelatin
1/4 C Water
1/2 C Cognac -- divided
1 C Heavy Cream or Whipping Cream(need to make into whipped cream)
1 10" Graham Cracker Crust -- baked and cooled(I usually buy one keebler makes a real good one)
2 Tbsp Shaved Chocolate For Garnish -- <OR> Whipped Cream For Garnish

Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar.
Soften the gelatin in the water and add 1/4 cup cognac. Heat over boiling
water until gelatin dissolves. Pour the gelatin mixture into the yolks,
stirring briskly. Stir in remaining 1/4 c cognac. Chill until this mixture
will mound slightly, and then fold in the whipped cream. Pour the filling
into the shell and chill. Before serving, garnish with shaved chocolate or
whipping cream.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,728 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:13 AM

CC...I'm coming to YOUR house for the holidays! Yum yum!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:53 AM

I'm gonna have to give that one a try I'm a big Chicken or Veal Piccata fan. Hmmmn! :banghead:

I can relate on being a big fan of chicken or veal piccata... and your pie sounds awesome!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users