• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2015: Trip Suggestions...& Trips Locked in so far...

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 Kimbuddha

Kimbuddha

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:241

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Ooo.....did you say Bali! Of course Fiji will mostly likely break my piggy bank for 2015. I don't think even think my putting away $500/mos is going to be enough to hang with you guys. I better cancel my cable,lol Posted Image
If you change the way you look at things...the things you look at change.

#62 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

If you don't mind hearing from one of the "newbes" on the board (I haven't even traveled with any of you yet; though I am now in for two upcoming trips...),

One of the "tops on my personal bucket list is Papua New Guinea (PNG). With talks of Wakatobi and Cocos Island(s?), which are in the same general (global) region, could we try to combine two or more of these destinations on the same trip? I know, for me (isn't i always about me? :lmao:/>/>/> ), it is not so much the price of the actual dive vacation that seems so hard to take; as it is the cost of getting there. Last year I spent roughly $1400 for a 7 day, (almost) all-inclusive, dive vacation in Fiji. Then I spent roughly $1200 for the "privilege" of spending 23+ hours on ill-fitting airplanes (I got kinda long legs :teeth:/>/>/> ), eating reheated cafeteria food, and breathing recycled air (ever thought about how many intestinal emissions must be produced and then recirculated by 500+ passengers over 10+ hours? Dont! :-D/>/>/> ). Perceived value: the trip = "teriffic value" vs. travel = "I'm paying how much for this??? I, personnally, would be very interested in an opportunity to spend only 25% of my annual travel budget on actual travel (vs. 50%) leaving the extra to be spent on the actual trip.

I guess what I am getting at is, if I am going to spend the shekels to get to that part of the world again; I would love to be able to make it an extended trip. Something similar to what Kamala was describing for the Phillipines in her first message of this thread with 10 day to 3 week+ options (which, by the way, is a strong number two on my bucket list; so please add me to the list of interested <esp. for multi-week>).

Also, let me say, I understand that I am (?) in the minority. In that I have the time (vacation/lack of other commitments), AND the ability (finances/family/other competing interests), AND the desire (willingness to commit)(read: "I have no life" :blush:/>/>/> ) for a major trip like this. A trip of this magnitude very well may not be practical for the majority, and therefore, not appropriate for the time commitments of Kamala and her team (please don't ever forget they are all volunteering their time here for us) to arrange, coordinate, and oversee. B u u u t t t t...... it sure would be fun! :D/>/>/>

That's my 1/2 p.s.i. (striving to earn my full 2 p.s.i. share).

WHOA SPUD -
No need to apologize, when it comes to diving we all have different desires [our bucket lists are endless], and different budgets & commitments to family which affect our abilities to realize our dreams. The price [whether it be $$$ or seat time] we are willing to pay for 3-4 dives per day for however many days, for me, is the price of my own sanity, karma, inner peace. I've made a few trips with SingleDivers.com and I've extended a couple them with additional time and destinations. I've spent considerable time researching destinations with the idea of making multiple stops over the period of a month. The obstacles are numerous, and as you said there are only a few who are able to take the time and/or afford to make an extended trip. The amount of time and effort necessary to plan a multiple destination trip is twice the number stops involved versus a single destination, especially if you're doing it for a group.

You mentioned the Philippines trip mentioned early on in this thread. I spent a number of hours of research putting together information which I presented to Kamala. Conditions have changed since that initial post. A U.S. Navy minesweeper ran aground on Tubbataha reef late last year. The wreck has been removed within the last couple of months, but the damage to the reef is still being assessed. One of the liveaboard operators, with 5 boats, in the region has gone out of business, WorldWide Dive & Sail's Philippine Siren is being relocated to Truk. And most of all, from my review of this thread, there have been few positive responses to this trip proposal. But like you, I still want to make this trip.

Hoping to meet you on a SingleDivers.com trip

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#63 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

A note about the Philippines...many of our club members use our services to book trips for themselves. So even if we can't get the trip off the ground as a group we can certainly book it for you and whomever wants to join you! We have a secret upgrade coming down the pike that will be making all our trip bookings much easier so let us help you book your dream trip no matter where you want to go!

p.s. My heart was very saddened when the circumstances in the Philippines changed. But we'll be able to go there soon I know!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#64 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Speaking of travel, I saw an article that more direct flights to Ahbu Dahbi are opening up with the merger of US Airlines and American via the One World Network. May make Maldives trips easier going forward.

SUHWEET!!!

Speaking of which, whenever you do get around to doing the Maldives again, I am definitely in. As I was so new to the group this past year, I wasn't ready to commit to one of the larger trips, at that point. Now that I've got my sea legs & some experience under my belt, please add this to my wish list for the next 2-3 years.

Posted Image

#65 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Spud,

Love the feedback & the perspective. Please, continue!!! Posted Image

#66 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Board Status:Just getting started
  • Cert Level:O.W. w/ alt. and drysuit cert.
  • Logged Dives:I was supposed to be logging them!?

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

A note about the Philippines...many of our club members use our services to book trips for themselves. So even if we can't get the trip off the ground as a group we can certainly book it for you and whomever wants to join you! We have a secret upgrade coming down the pike that will be making all our trip bookings much easier so let us help you book your dream trip no matter where you want to go!

p.s. My heart was very saddened when the circumstances in the Philippines changed. But we'll be able to go there soon I know!

Please see PM for local (Boise) help inquiry. Thank you.

Joel
"SCUBA"... the ONLY activity demanding artificial life support to participate...

#67 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Spud,
Love the feedback & the perspective. Please, continue!!! :respect:/>

Thank you!

Just trying to find my niche, and be respectful to all of you who have invested time, blood, sweat, tears, and finances to build this site/group/collective (?!!!), that welcomes anyone who shares a love for our watery world..

:respect:/> Back at ya!!

Joel

PS. I love the abbreviated moniker "Spud." How many PunkPoints do you think I will need to acquire before I can make it official? It has the ring of something my brother would call me :teeth:/> !
"SCUBA"... the ONLY activity demanding artificial life support to participate...

#68 AquaSpud

AquaSpud

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

WHOA SPUD -
No need to apologize, when it comes to diving we all have different desires [our bucket lists are endless], and different budgets & commitments to family which affect our abilities to realize our dreams. The price [whether it be $ or seat time] we are willing to pay for 3-4 dives per day for however many days, for me, is the price of my own sanity, karma, inner peace. I've made a few trips with SingleDivers.com and I've extended a couple them with additional time and destinations. I've spent considerable time researching destinations with the idea of making multiple stops over the period of a month. The obstacles are numerous, and as you said there are only a few who are able to take the time and/or afford to make an extended trip. The amount of time and effort necessary to plan a multiple destination trip is twice the number stops involved versus a single destination, especially if you're doing it for a group.

You mentioned the Philippines trip mentioned early on in this thread. I spent a number of hours of research putting together information which I presented to Kamala. Conditions have changed since that initial post. A U.S. Navy minesweeper ran aground on Tubbataha reef late last year. The wreck has been removed within the last couple of months, but the damage to the reef is still being assessed. One of the liveaboard operators, with 5 boats, in the region has gone out of business, WorldWide Dive & Sail's Philippine Siren is being relocated to Truk. And most of all, from my review of this thread, there have been few positive responses to this trip proposal. But like you, I still want to make this trip.

Hoping to meet you on a SingleDivers.com trip

Bill

Hi Bill,

If I was out of line, out of turn, or over stepping my place, I most sincerely apologize.

Not quite sure how to respond. You are someone who has been part of this community since 2006 and over 600 posts.

Diving brings me an inner peace as well (and quite probably keeps me out of the loony bin!!!).

I do think I have an idea how much work Kamala puts in to all of her trips AND how much more is required for a muti-destination trip. If I came across as uncaring, or ungrateful, I apologize to you, Kamala, and all of those assisting her (not to mention all the divers she has done everything she could to make their diving experience the best she possibly could). She has personally assisted me and I have no doubt that she will do everything she can to see her client(s) have the best experience possible.

Likewise, I meant NO disrespect to anyone on this site regarding anyone's means and/or availability, as I said I am the one who is abnormal. I only wished to learn what others might be interested in doing. If someone else is interested in extending a trip (having time, finances, and interest) that would be a bonus. But, in no way, an obligation to SD (or Kamala) unless she had an interest to broker (in which case; she gets first shot). I am very aware that she/they (Kamala, Sandy, Charlie, and others I am yet aware of) , are doing what they do without pay. Perhaps one of them may get a free ride based on the group booking; but I have no doubt (and no resentment/only admiration) because I know they have earned every minute of it, Not to mention when they do go; they are helping, herding, shepherding, and continuing to make sure everything they promised (and more) comes true. You may accuse me of drinking the kool-aid, and perhaps you are right, but WW and her crew has yet to prove to me different.

I did mention Kamala's initial Philippine post. I don't recall mentioning Tubbataha. Good info. I was not aware of the wreck. But I do believe there are other opportunities around the country. You also failed to mention the ongoing/multi-year travel warning from the State Department. Thoughts there?

I will be in Dominica, as well as Saba, St.Kitt's for New Years. If you are there; be sure to introduce yourself.

Spud
  • ScubaTex and like this

#69 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Joel aka AquaSpud aka Spud.... I think Bill was basically agreeing with you and saying that he like you PREFERS to do longer trips to make the travel and money go farther. However the logistics go up exponentially if you are trying to minimize travel between destinations, seeking eco or econo accomodations etc.

Bill was WELCOMING you to the group and asking you to NEVER FEEL AWKWARD or FEEL THE NEED TO APOLOGIZE for being new or anything else for that matter. Bill loves this group and has traveled with us many times...and has helped plan trips as well as do extensive research for trips. In fact we had a Best of Philippines planned that included several different locales and the amazing liveaboard to the Tubbataha but now with the accident, the liveaboard we wanted to use closing shop, etc the Philippines are on hold for awhile.

But that is why this topic exists.... MOST OF OUR TRIPS ARE A RESULT OF MEMBER REQUESTS AND ENTHUSIASM!!! If you are excited and it shows then others are excited and they want to join in!

We are unfortunately limited in the number of big trips we can run but we certainly average 2-3 a year and when the economy gets better we'll do more!

So keep up the great inputs and certainly the great posts and we'll have a great time diving! :wakawaka:
  • ScubaTex and like this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#70 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Spud,
Love the feedback & the perspective. Please, continue!!! Posted Image/>

Thank you!

Just trying to find my niche, and be respectful to all of you who have invested time, blood, sweat, tears, and finances to build this site/group/collective (?!!!), that welcomes anyone who shares a love for our watery world..

Posted Image/> Back at ya!!

Joel

PS. I love the abbreviated moniker "Spud." How many PunkPoints do you think I will need to acquire before I can make it official? It has the ring of something my brother would call me Posted Image/> !

Joel, wish I could take credit...truth is, I've only been around for about 14 months. Wish I'd found this forum years ago...

I hereby dub thee "Spud", from my perspective, anyhow! Posted Image

Really can't speak to the PunkPoints, as they're so new. Going to fly below the radar, myself, to see what other details emerge.

In regards to Bill's comments, I echo Kamala's sentiments. One of the many challenges to interacting on-line is that it is difficult to determine intention vs. perception with one's words. We can't see each other, so, read our own interpretations into others' feedback. It's all good, amigo!!!

I must comment, however, that, living near Mesa, AZ, all of the LDS talk has had me a bit confused!!! What can I say, I'm a simpleton! I was looking for a Colorado City reference! Posted Image

Hope to cross paths with you some day.

Posted Image

#71 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

WELL SAID TIM!!!

fyi...LDS = Local Dive Shop

formerly...

#72 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

WELL SAID TIM!!!

fyi...LDS = Local Dive Shop

I done good, WW? Posted Image

Yes, after about 1000 references to LDS, it finally hit me! Posted Image

Been diving since WHEN?!?!?! Posted Image

Aye, caramba!!

#73 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

:lmao:

formerly...

#74 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Spud -
The intent of my reply to your post was to encourage you to speak your mind in this forum. Just because you're new to the site doesn't mean your observations or desires for diving are any less meaningful. It is through our posts, Kamala is able to determine where to go, or not to go. In fact Kamala probably said it best in her post, she's gotten to know me well over the years. I had no intention of slighting anyone, but just stating the fact that SD is composed of a wide variety of individuals. I'll check my work schedule, the New Years trip looks interesting, but might want to do a back-to-back on Explorer.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#75 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Bill...I knew what you meant but the written word is often hard!

We'd :wub:/> to have you join us for NYE...it promises to be a great group! AND if you do back to back you usually get a discount. I wil check for you what it is! Plus you get even more savings if booking via SD for that extra week! :cool1:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users