• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Interesting advice for prescription users

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:18 AM

Can't find the link so I'll just post the interview. Hope this doesn't send me to "copyright infringement hell" ... <had to pull it, but Don supplied the link below - Walter>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://lists.essenti...ust/006849.html
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:34 AM

Kudos Jexy!

I especially like:

Q: What can be done to fix the system?

A: The single most important change that should be made -- and it could be made tomorrow -- is for Congress to redefine what safe and effective means, to insist that the FDA require manufacturers to test new drugs not just against placebos but against existing drugs. After all, the relevant issue isn't whether a new drug works better than nothing; it's whether it's better than older drugs already in use.

That's why so many clinical trials published are of no use to doctors. Doctors don't want to know if this new drug is better than a sugar pill. They want to know if it's better than the drug they're already using. The FDA should require manufacturers to compare new drugs head to head, at equivalent doses. Only drugs that are safer, more effective, or significantly more convenient, should be approved.

We also need to make the FDA more independent. The FDA has 18 advisory committees, and many of the members of those committee have financial ties to the drug industry. That's wrong.

Finally, university medical centers and medical societies and the people who run them need to stop fooling themselves into thinking they can take huge sums of money from drug makers and still remain objective and independent.

Q: Is there anything patients can do?

A: Ask questions. If your doctor prescribes a medication, ask about the evidence that shows it is effective. Ask why your doctor is prescribing this particular drug. Ask if there are older, less expensive drugs that might work just as well. A few questions from patients might begin to make [doctors] think about what they're doing. Finally, ask your doctor whether you really need a drug at all. Maybe a lifestyle change would be better, or maybe the illness is mild and will go away on its own.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:01 PM

HYe fellow! Good article!

And I like seeing the article instead of a link, but in case you need one, here it is:

http://lists.essenti...ust/006849.html

Have you ever met a Pharm Co Rep? Very wel dressed, high caliber, generous, often lovely women. :lmao:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the help, guys!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the help, guys!

No problem....just Walter keeping us from getting in trouble! Thanks for the excellent article! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:30 PM

Q:

That's why so many clinical trials published are of no use to doctors. Doctors don't want to know if this new drug is better than a sugar pill. They want to know if it's better than the drug they're already using. The FDA should require manufacturers to compare new drugs head to head, at equivalent doses. Only drugs that are safer, more effective, or significantly more convenient, should be approved.

I find that quote quite interesting. The placebo effect is often times more powerful that the drug itself. Placebo effects in clincial trials average 20-30%. Efficacy rates for medications are often measured in the single digits.

What an amazing, market driven comment!
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#7 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:01 PM

Hey, Michael! Nice to have you back!!

#8 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:10 PM

Hey Michael - Long time, no see!!! Nice to see you're back amongst the craziness!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:15 PM

Hey Michael - Long time, no see!!! Nice to see you're back amongst the craziness!

Yep...some things NEVER change...it is certainly STILL crazy here! Welcome back to the fun MV! -ww :cool2:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users