• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2013 Health and Fitness CHALLENGE!!!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Report: Went to the doctor, this morning. After 6 weeks, I've lost 12 pounds. No exercise. I never even broke a sweat (still letting my body recover). No dietary adjustments. Just refraining from alcohol. My plan is to take a break for the next 10 days (to celebrate!), or so, then get back to the program until the AZ HH on 9 March. I'll probably continue on until April (Bonaire), so that I may FULLY enjoy my vacation. I DO plan on making this an annual event, starting the day my kids go back to school each winter break, as opposed to New Year's Day. Join me?!?!?

Best.

#47 AnemoneAmy

AnemoneAmy

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Good job BG! Of course, that kind of weight loss done so easily is impossible for women. Posted Image

You planning to start up the hiking and exercise now? I challenge you to pick a new challenge for phase two. Posted Image

I guess I should report that my new habit challenge is eating slowly to 80% full.

Edited by AnemoneAmy, 13 February 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#48 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Good job BG! Of course, that kind of weight loss done so easily is impossible for women. Posted Image

You planning to start up the hiking and exercise now? I challenge you to pick a new challenge for phase two. Posted Image

I guess I should report that my new habit challenge is eating slowly to 80% full.

Hi, Amy. I've posted numerous responses on this, and none of them have taken. AcK!!! It's frustrating, to say the least. So, in short, THANKS!!!

Yes, I do plan on getting back to lifting & hiking, in the next couple of weeks.

Take care.

#49 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

After five to six weeks of diet, without losing any weight, I really wanted to give up. Even though I had not contributed anything to the topic, I continued to read what others were posting, and I kept that as inspiration. It has paid off, and I have finally seen the numbers change on the scale. I have lost about five pounds in the last couple of weeks, and am encouraged by the progress of late. Thanks to those who have been following and contributing here.

#50 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

To Amy's point: Women do not lose weight in the way that men do, our bodies are built to hold onto fat. To Ed's: Individuals lose weight at different rates too, and it is important that your goals be appropriate for you. Personally, I believe more in committing to long term behavioral changes. The rest will come when it is supposed to.

Been back with my trainer for a few weeks now. It is hard, but it feels good to be getting stronger. I am doing less well with consistent cardio as I like to exercise outdoors. Our weather goes from 60 degree days to 20 in a flash and I wimp out on the cold days.

I'm doing well with getting wheat out of my diet. But some sweet thang sent me a big box of chocolates today. Urp. And then Mom showed up with another. Urp.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#51 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

After five to six weeks of diet, without losing any weight, I really wanted to give up. Even though I had not contributed anything to the topic, I continued to read what others were posting, and I kept that as inspiration. It has paid off, and I have finally seen the numbers change on the scale. I have lost about five pounds in the last couple of weeks, and am encouraged by the progress of late. Thanks to those who have been following and contributing here.

Great to hear, Ed!!! Keep up the good work. :respect:/>

#52 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

To Amy's point: Women do not lose weight in the way that men do, our bodies are built to hold onto fat. To Ed's: Individuals lose weight at different rates too, and it is important that your goals be appropriate for you. Personally, I believe more in committing to long term behavioral changes. The rest will come when it is supposed to.

Been back with my trainer for a few weeks now. It is hard, but it feels good to be getting stronger. I am doing less well with consistent cardio as I like to exercise outdoors. Our weather goes from 60 degree days to 20 in a flash and I wimp out on the cold days.

I'm doing well with getting wheat out of my diet. But some sweet thang sent me a big box of chocolates today. Urp. And then Mom showed up with another. Urp.

Good to hear that you are back working with a trainer, Leslie. My back & knees are still giving me fits. Actually had to take an injection on Wednesday for inflammation. It is a nagging injury that is quite maddening, frankly. Another lesson in patience...

Remember, all, that the little things are just as important as the huge hurdles that we overcome. They are every bit as important & incredibly satisfying, once accomplished. Be kind to yourself, not just good to yourself. And, take a break, once in a while!!!

:teeth:/>

#53 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

This may not be the appropriate place to post this. It was sent to me by a friend of mine, yesterday, and I felt the need to share. If you want to re-post somewhere else, K, I understand. I hope that this might bring a little light to your day. ENJOY!!!
Steps- by Hermann Hesse-

As every blossom fades and all youth

Sinks into age, blossoms each stage of life,

Each flower of wisdom and virtue,

In it's own time and may not last forever.

The heart must with evry of lifes callings

Be prepared to say good bye and begin anew,

To submit itself courageously, without a hint of grief

Into other, new Relationships.

A magic dwells in each beginning,

Protecting us, and helping us to live.

High purposed we shall traverse realm to realm,

Cleaving to none as to a home,

The world of spirit wishes not to fetter nor narrow us

But raise us higher,wider step by step.

Once accustomed to a sphere of life,

We are threatened to grow lax;

Only he who is ready to journey forth

Will get away from crippling habits.

Maybe death’s hour too will send

Us out to new-born, undreamed-lands,

Life’s call to us will never end

Courage my heart, take leave, fare thee well and heal.

#54 AnemoneAmy

AnemoneAmy

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Thanks, BG! I like the poem, and maybe I ought to read some Hesse! Cool stuff.

I'm not making huge changes in weight yet, but getting stronger. I did a 73 lb. overhead split jerk 1RM Saturday...guess I can lift more than I thought! It was the first time I had done that specific test.

Great job to everyone keeping with it. And, if you haven't been making progress, give yourself a clean slate and set a new goal...today is a great day to start improving! Posted Image

#55 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

1361775635[/url]' post='306972']
Thanks, BG! I like the poem, and maybe I ought to read some Hesse! Cool stuff.

I'm not making huge changes in weight yet, but getting stronger. I did a 73 lb. overhead split jerk 1RM Saturday...guess I can lift more than I thought! It was the first time I had done that specific test.

Great job to everyone keeping with it. And, if you haven't been making progress, give yourself a clean slate and set a new goal...today is a great day to start improving! Posted Image

Ah, a Cross Fitter you are? Being strong does feel good. Though I will still let boys carry my tanks if they offer.
Liked the poem Tim :)

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#56 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Dry, once again, until the AZ HH on 9 March. It was a good hiatus to celebrate for a couple of weeks. Now, back to the grindstone. The HH will be my one digression until the Bonaire trip in April. I'm really interested to see what happens between now & then. Still dealing with knee & back issues, though they seem to be healing, finally, after forced rest. I hope to get back to lifting in the next couple of weeks, as my sons have both inspired me by starting to workout again this week, without any prodding. Then, back to the dusty trail...

Glad you both liked the poem. The timing & completeness of it just grabbed me.

Best of luck to all with your goals. Anyone else have anything to report???
:respect:/>

#57 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

I can relate to your period of forced rest. I had my little stretch where I lost a few pounds, and that went along with my back allowing me to get on the bike or do a bit of walking. It has been acting up again, so I am forced to rest as well, and I am struggling to maintain the current weight level until I resume some exercise again. Hang in there Tim, and hopefully you feel well enough to get back to your activities soon.

Dry, once again, until the AZ HH on 9 March. It was a good hiatus to celebrate for a couple of weeks. Now, back to the grindstone. The HH will be my one digression until the Bonaire trip in April. I'm really interested to see what happens between now & then. Still dealing with knee & back issues, though they seem to be healing, finally, after forced rest. I hope to get back to lifting in the next couple of weeks, as my sons have both inspired me by starting to workout again this week, without any prodding. Then, back to the dusty trail...

Posted Image/>

#58 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I can relate to your period of forced rest. I had my little stretch where I lost a few pounds, and that went along with my back allowing me to get on the bike or do a bit of walking. It has been acting up again, so I am forced to rest as well, and I am struggling to maintain the current weight level until I resume some exercise again. Hang in there Tim, and hopefully you feel well enough to get back to your activities soon.

Posted Image/>

Thanks for the encouragement, Ed! It's frustrating as all hell!!! :banghead:/>

The abstention from alcohol is definitely helping, though. Haven't been on a scale since I last went to the doctor. I can tell that I continue to shed pounds, however. It's the only solution that is currently working for me. I have another appointment mid-March & will report progress, then.

I plan on slowly getting back into the lifting regimen, though with incredibly light weight until I can regain some strength/foundation. This is especially challenging for me, as I usually only have 2 speeds, wide-open or off. I must remind myself that I just turned 48, however. :-D/>

AcK!!! :huh:/>

#59 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Monthly report. I only lost a pound this past month. Guess my time off from abstinence slowed the program way down. Well, at least I didin't gain anything back. The knees & back are progressing, though I'm still not yet ready to push it. Back on the wagon until Bonaire! Another doctor's appointment in a month. BP & pulse are good. Take care.

#60 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Back at the doctor, today. Down another 6 pounds. So, my grand total is 19 pounds lost since San Sal (January 4th). Truthfully, it is entirely due to abstinence from drinking. I've not been able to break a sweat since October because of on-going back issues. The last few days have been especially bad. I've doubled-down on chiropractic visits, massages, heating pads, ice packs, epsom salt baths, stretching & anything else I can think of to make myself 100% for Bonaire. Frankly, the back got so bad on Friday that I resorted to bourbon therapy. So much better, now. I resolve to be right as rain by Friday (well, physically, anyhow). :teeth:/>

I hope all are well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users