• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2013 Health and Fitness CHALLENGE!!!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Sharklover

Sharklover

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I loved this article and thought it relevant to the changes we are trying to make this year. I have always thought it was most important to focus on habits, the rest will come.
http://www.huffingto..._b_2498798.html
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#32 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Good info, Leslie.

:thankyou:/>

#33 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

3 weeks into abstinence & all is well!!! Feeling great & continuing to shed pounds, slowly. I feel that this will probably turn into a 6 week hiatus. I started this experiment on 4 January upon my return from San Sal. Had a doctor's appointment shortly thereafter. My follow up is on 13 February, so, I figure I may as well wait until then to see what exactly the result has been. I'm interested to see what kind of result I get after simply taking a break from alcohol. In the past, it's always been complimented by dietary & exercise changes. So, I'm basically half way there. Will revisit after 13 Feb. Birthday 10 days after is going to make it a challenge to maintain the streak. We shall see...

I may just take one weekend off to celebrate another orbit around planet earth, or, I may decide to continue on. Time will tell...

Best to all in their efforts!!! Nice work!!!

:clapping:/>

#34 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I think making small and incremental changes that you can live with permanently and feel good about is a far better recipe for success than to try to go all or none. Not that you can't have multiple incremental changes going on simultaneously. But people who set themselves up to have no transition into new habits nearly always fail. I no longer notice the absence of old habits such as sodas (no diet or regular) because they went out gradually. It is a marathon, not a sprint.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea....ee cummings

#35 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Agreed! Haven't had a soda in 6 1/2 years & don't miss it a bit. Have cut way back on the beer, as well (other than Kalik in San Sal!). Currently, my downfall is Maker's Mark. Love it. It's almost all sugar, however. Therein lies my quandary. It's good to take a break, once in a while, though, to let the body find equilibrium. As I've said many times, everything in moderation, including moderation.

:respect:/>

#36 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Agreed! Haven't had a soda in 6 1/2 years & don't miss it a bit. Have cut way back on the beer, as well (other than Kalik in San Sal!). Currently, my downfall is Maker's Mark. Love it. It's almost all sugar, however. Therein lies my quandary. It's good to take a break, once in a while, though, to let the body find equilibrium. As I've said many times, everything in moderation, including moderation.

Posted Image/>

Don Julio 1942, chilled. Mmmmmm. I am keeping it as an occasional treat.

#37 Sharklover

Sharklover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I have found a consistent key to success in getting fat to muscle or weight loss going. Buy new clothes! I swear, it works every time!

My clothes were a little snug after the Holidays as I had put on a few pounds. I put off buying anything while working on diet and exercise. But my jeans were uncomfortable. I finally broke down and bought a pair of jeans one size bigger a couple of weeks ago. They are already too big! I got on the scales this morning and am 6 pounds down from my peak Holiday weight. Glad I only bought the jeans!

Wheat removal is going better than I thought it would, and my home stores are almost completely depleted. And I think my snacks are getting heathier because of it. No crackers or bread to nosh on, it is a piece of fruit or something instead. I've ordered a copy of wheat belly as I am interested in the theory of why some experts believe wheat is bad for us. There really is no science per se, but the theory is interesting. Worth a try for me.

Exercise habits have been a little inconsistent since the cold snap here. I don't do gyms except for strength training.

#38 AnemoneAmy

AnemoneAmy

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

I've been busy. I signed up for the Lean Eating coaching through Precision Nutrition. So, I am taking lots of fish oil, a probiotic, and doing weights, kettlebell, active recovery workouts and one day of rest. Also, I am avoiding white carbs and alcohol. The main gist of the program is to slowly learn good habits, one at a time, and track weight, girths, bodyfat, and *gulp* pictures for a whole year. It is nice to have a coach who actually responds to email, and in fact, has asked for weekly updates.

So far so good...I guess I am feeling pretty serious about reducing my triglycerides and body fat. Best to start today, not tomorrow! :)

Good job to you all and keep it up! Posted Image

#39 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Congrats to all of you for making a goal!!! It's time for me to weigh in. Just had my physical yesterday and the dr. said it was pretty boring, BP, Cholesterol-both all in the excellent range, even lost a few pounds since last year :teeth:/> . Thyroid issues still plaguing me :( Signed up to do my 1st Tri of the year in April so that one of my main reasons for getting back into the regular workout routine. Tim it will be good to see how you are doing at the HH in March. Good luck to everyone:cool2:/> !

#40 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks, Kathy! Best of luck with your training for the Tri! It'll be easy for me to get to 13 February, at this point. The big question is "What happens after that?". :teeth:/>

My goal is to re-start my hiking & lifting, once I get these 6 weeks behind me. Before, every time I felt that I was healed, I would re-aggravate my back & knees upon returning to my routine. It has been amazingly frustrating. So, my hope is to get this process started with the initial weight loss due to being dry. Then, I can gradually ramp up my exercise, again. I don't obsess about my diet, personally, though I do my best not to eat crap. I've always just figured that, if the caloric burn is there, the rest will take care of itself (within reason, of course!).

Amy, NICE WORK!!!

Best wishes to all.

:wakawaka:/>

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Was doing great and lost weight and inches. However after a week of 100 y/o birthday celebrations and seeing family I have not seen in a very long time and then doing the BWI tradeshow and being around all sorts of food I do not eat...I *hopefully* did not do much damage but I did not make any headway. I will be happy to get back to what WAS my heathier regime.

I too have been omitting wheat and grains and felt 100% better. It is after all simple sugar and for many people practically poison to the body. And there is science behind it...I will post some links etc.

Wheat/grains are as Leslie says... like crack and VERY addictive. We are conditioned to believe that bagels, oatmeal and many other grains are good for us when in fact they are not. Fruit and veggies and nuts are... so trying to get back to them as soon as I have access to my kitchen again.

Ok in the airport so not home until late tonight. Trying to get a bit of work done...wanted to check in to say I had regressed a bit but as others have said...it is a daily battle and I'm back in the war today! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#42 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Carpe diem!

:respect:/>

#43 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

4 weeks down! 2 to go. I'm actually looking forward to that celebratory cocktail at the finish line. It's been a good experience. One that I may implement on an annual basis, moving forward. I know that my liver appreciates it!!! Will check in again, later, with the official weight loss report at the end of the 6 weeks. No details, as of yet. I want to surprise myself, as well as all of you, with the results, when they come in.

Keep up the good work, all!!! One step at a time. When you succumb to temptation, forgive yourself & start anew.

Blessings.

:clapping:/>

#44 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I am glad to hear the success stories that some of you are having. Unfortunately for me, it has been 5-6 weeks of dieting, and I have not lost a pound to date. I have managed to remain at the same weight during that time, which is an improvement over the slow gain that was going on prior to this challenge. I shall continue trying though.

#45 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

5 weeks down. This weekend was a tough one, for some reason. I did manage to get through dry, however.

Spent the last 3 days in bed on a flu diet. That ought to accelerate the weight loss, a bit. No fun...

Will give you the final result after I see my doctor next Wednesday.

Best to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users