• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GoPro Hero?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Stig

Stig

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Considering getting an underwater camera. Not for anything serious, just to video tape and take a few pictures on dives. How many people use a gopro? Do you have to use the flat lens for underwater use?

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

We have a partnership with GoPro so check with us BEFORE YOU BUY!! The hero3 is on backorder most places but one of our dealers has the silver ones and black ones coming in stock soon. YES you should use the flat screen for the gopro to prevent vigneting or the dark edges around your shots.

It takes great video and good photos for very little dinero and is a great starter set up. You can get an lcd monitor for help in 'seeing' what you are taking pictures of and add a few add'l features such as a video light by say light and motion and you'll have a first rate set up!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

I have the first HERO. I have liked my footage better since I have switched to the flat lens housing.

In my experience, you'll want a red filter starting at about 15 feet. Deeper than that, you'll want a light. Otherwise the only color you'll see is blue.

My GoPro is very handy. I like the size and that it takes stills as well as video.

ScubaClint

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

ps. Our dealer has the black ones in stock if you are looking for the new Hero3. And I've found a great source for coloring correcting lenses for the gopro... red for tropical waters and magenta for greenish waters. :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 Stig

Stig

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have the first HERO. I have liked my footage better since I have switched to the flat lens housing.

In my experience, you'll want a red filter starting at about 15 feet. Deeper than that, you'll want a light. Otherwise the only color you'll see is blue.

My GoPro is very handy. I like the size and that it takes stills as well as video.

ScubaClint

How do you use it when you're diving, do you just hold it or is it attached to your bcd or something? Do you have any sample videos before & after you changed the lens?

ps. Our dealer has the black ones in stock if you are looking for the new Hero3. And I've found a great source for coloring correcting lenses for the gopro... red for tropical waters and magenta for greenish waters. Posted Image

I was looking at getting a used one, but how much are the Hero3's?

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

The Hero3's are $399 and almost everyone is backordered. One of our partners has 6 in stock...

formerly...

#7 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

[How do you use it when you're diving, do you just hold it or is it attached to your bcd or something? Do you have any sample videos before & after you changed the lens?

I have a wrist strap attached to the housing and hand hold it. I haven't uploaded any video but I've seen several examples on Youtube.

#8 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

[How do you use it when you're diving, do you just hold it or is it attached to your bcd or something? Do you have any sample videos before & after you changed the lens?

I have a wrist strap attached to the housing and hand hold it. I haven't uploaded any video but I've seen several examples on Youtube.

Stig,

I was on a trip with OTWDiver as my instructor in Roatan and he took some video of me in the Prince Albert Wreck. The video is absolutely fantastic quality. I think it's a 20 min segment and the video is almost 2GB in size. It was shot I think in 1080p. With a decent light setup and that camera there's not much need (for non-video professionals) to have much more. I don't have one myself but if I was looking for a video camera I'd be looking at that very seriously. The versatility of it is great too if you do other sports. I would however look at getting a light setup with it if you want to make it worthwhile in darker areas.

Wish I could post it but it's just too large.

-ScubaTurtle

Edited by ScubaTurtle, 22 December 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thank you Mike... we have 6 gopro Hero3 Black in my husband dive shop...they are backordered most places... let us know if you'd like one before the end of the year! He may even have a special or two if you are looking to stuff your own stocking! ;)

formerly...

#10 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Considering getting an underwater camera .... Do you have to use the flat lens for underwater use?

Hero 3 comes standard with flat lens necessary for underwater use.

Here is short 80 seconds of video I shot last week using GoPro Hero 3 Black. A variety of scenes under various conditions and depths and different light and water visibilities. Shot in 1080p mode, some at 24fps some at 30fps. Color correction using iMovie 09. No cropping applied.

Click here:

My first impression is that the image difference between ver 2 and 3 is not immediately discernible. Compare the Hero 3 video above with this video shot with Hero 2 in January at the same location:

Click here:

I was at sea and out of internet connection range when the December 14 update became available and its effect, if any, is not reflected in these scenes.

#11 Stig

Stig

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Thank you for your help everyone. I can't see anything amazing that would justify the cost of ther Hero3 or the 2. I'm not opposed to getting the original one either. Guess I'll keep looking.

#12 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I can't see anything amazing that would justify the cost of ther Hero3 or the 2. I'm not opposed to getting the original one either. Guess I'll keep looking.

What is amazing about the GoPro camera is that for less than $450 ($100 for used ver 1) you get the capability of a $5,000+ set up that is far easier to learn and to use and without the weight / space in your bag -- no expensive pelican box to keep track of nor additional checked bag fee. I wrap it in a sock and put in my carry on bag.

One big limitation of GoPro: not well suited for muck diving close up video and not at all suited for close up photographs (although macro lens may now available from 3rd party).

One big advantage: for distant and wide shots (from whale sharks to damsel fish) where an expensive array of lights is useless the results are as good as the big ticket gear, especially if your audience will be viewing video on a computer screen or 1080p HD TV. How can I say "as good as"? Well, I recently licensed to Discovery Channel some scenes shot with GoPro 2 in ambient light. Note: I have nothing to do with GoPro beyond being a user of their camera gear.

#13 Jay

Jay

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE Tech 1
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Just got a Hero3 black for Christmas. Added the LED back (must have option).
Results are great. video is as good as I've seen. Stills are good, but limited.
Mounted on a scooter, in your drysuit pocket, or bungied to your wrist, it works like a champ.

Two thumbs up.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Thanks Jay...glad you like it! If anyone else wants one one of our dealers has several he would like to move. :thankyou:

formerly...

#15 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

What kind of light package does your dealer recommend for the GoPro Hero?

Here is what my local dive shop is recommending..

http://www.uwkinetic...o-pov-black-pak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users