• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2013-05/06: Dominica Redeux 2013 May 25-Jun1 or Jun1-Jun8...One or Both!

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#136 susiq

susiq

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Susan aka susiq

DOMINICA
Payments Summary To Date: $35 Premier + $1250 + $59 whale tour
Wk 2 (Jun1-8)
Extra Days/Nights: -none-

Flights:
June 1
AA # 413 Dep.JFK 6:40 AM -> arr. SJU 10:40 AM
LIAT #565 Dep 3 PM -> Arr DOM 4:45 PM

June 8

LIAT # 362 Dep, 8:20 AM -> arr. SJU 11:45 AM
AA # 1454 dep 5:40 PM -> arr. JFK 9:50 PM

Nitrox $133 for 10 Trip Dives (or $13.30 per tank extra): MAYBE some; can I pay there?

Whale Tour $59: yes

D/O with Garden View

Documents: SD Waiver - _____ SD Survey - _____ SD Ins Summary - _____ we will list as we receive these

Dive Insurance Current: DAN dive insurance Membership #1730237 , Master Insurance

Trip Insurance: b. I will purchase trip insurance to cover this trip. Deets to follow

Add'l Tours/Diving (List Out):

DISCOUNTS (Delete those that do not apply):

f. I submitted my documents within 3 weeks of signing up for the trip, so no $75 document fee.

h. I am a premier member of SD.com and I can send in my SD.com member rebate within 30 days after the trip for an additional $25 off.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#137 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hope you can make it, I would love to have more cast members to make a play for town, if storage of stuff is an option at the airport. Getting there by 1pm leaves many hours to ponder. James aka Scienceteacher.

I tried to reply yesterday but it failed. I would take the LONGER layover as LIAT is a small airline and this gives them the maximum chance of getting it right. I would also travel with anything that is critical you not have use a rental including your mask, computer and a bathing suit plus a few toiletries in case you don't get your bags. THIS IS GOOD ADVICE TO EVERYONE NOT JUST THOSE FLYING SMALL CARIBBEAN CARRIERS!

I hope you can join us! Kamala

Thanks for this, Kamala. It was my instinct too. Even though it means my getting to know the airport at SJU EXTREMELY well.Posted Image/> Now to settle the family/logistics aspect of this; it may mean my doing things quite late.....and you (and some other SD personnel) are on the verge of leaving or may already have left for this trip.....is there a deadline by which you absolutely MUST know if I'm coming or MUST have payment from me? I'll check back here a lot today and tonight.
s
S

Hi James, if this was meant for me, thanks for the welcome. I'm definitely on board and will finalize my flights and other stuff tomorrow!!!! Posted Image

SusiQ

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#138 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Just some curious questions: (dunno if they've been answered in the forums or in other posts I don't yet have access to....... but I'm sure these Q's must have come up during past trips to DOM.

Does anyone know the kind of beach entry there will be from this dive resort? I have closed back fins and don't wear booties..... is it easy or difficult: surge, steep, rocky, ironstone or? I would love to do some shore dives but need to know what I'll be confronting.

Also, has anyone flown LIAT before? I can't really make out what their baggage policy is. 50 lbs. MAX to be checked but the carry-on is quite restrictive; can't quite remember was it 15 lbs?

I generally take two bags, distributing my dive gear betwen them; my checked bag is about 40 lbs. but my carry on is about 24 lbs so I'm not sure if I have to do an overhaul of how and what I pack.

I do want to carry on my regs, and mask etc as I always do, in case the bigger bag goes astray or arrives late, but they mentioned that the checked bag could be as high as 70 lbs. and would incur a $40 charge for the overage. But there was another rule for a second checked bag..... anyway, I hope someone can clarify this for me.....

Thanks.
S:thankyou:/>

#139 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

I have not flown LIAT before but the 40# bag is fine for sure and the 24# should be ok as its a few over 15#. Worst case scenario...know what you could put in checked IF they weigh you at the airport and you need to redistribute.

Now your membership is updated I'll add you to the OFFICIAL TRIP PM so you can play catch up! :thankyou:

Actually no one has asked about the shore entry and other conditions so I'll reply here.

Does anyone know the kind of beach entry there will be from this dive resort? I have closed back fins and don't wear booties..... is it easy or difficult: surge, steep, rocky, ironstone or? I would love to do some shore dives but need to know what I'll be confronting.

The entry is pretty simple and you jump off the dock and climb back up a ladder. I am trying to recall the rungs on the ladder...if they are round or square. If the latter you'll be fine. If they are round it may be a bit uncomfortable coming back up with gear on due to the weight on your feet. I would FOR SURE GET NEOPRENE socks to wear which you probably do anyway. This will protect your feet from the dock and/or anything on the ladder.

Otherwise no surge and very easy conditions!
  • susiq likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#140 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Just some curious questions: (dunno if they've been answered in the forums or in other posts I don't yet have access to....... but I'm sure these Q's must have come up during past trips to DOM.

Also, has anyone flown LIAT before? I can't really make out what their baggage policy is. 50 lbs. MAX to be checked but the carry-on is quite restrictive; can't quite remember was it 15 lbs?

I generally take two bags, distributing my dive gear betwen them; my checked bag is about 40 lbs. but my carry on is about 24 lbs so I'm not sure if I have to do an overhaul of how and what I pack.

I do want to carry on my regs, and mask etc as I always do, in case the bigger bag goes astray or arrives late, but they mentioned that the checked bag could be as high as 70 lbs. and would incur a $40 charge for the overage. But there was another rule for a second checked bag..... anyway, I hope someone can clarify this for me.....

Thanks.

LIAT is a small airline, so some days they are strict about the luggage limit and some days they are not..... A big smile, a few compliments about their 'fast service' (HA! not really), and a lot a patience is also very helpful when checking in.

Since I use the San Juan, Puerto Rico, airport often so I would suggest that you make sure to take a book/magazines or something with you. The airport does not have free wifi, it's very difficult to find an empty electrical outlet to charge anything, and always ask how long the food has been sitting on the counter before you buy anything. It's even good to check the date on the candy as it's rare to exchange anything or obtain a refund. If you carry an empty water bottle, at least you can obtain free water in the secure area and the a/c is so cold you might want to wear a sweater.

Susan

#141 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Payment Update:
1) Susi aka 62&newdiver: ww has received your payment of $154! :thankyou:
(Ex day dives $88, Night Dive $66)
2) Susi aka 62&newdiver: ww has received your payment of $558! :wakawaka:
(3 ex nights - breakfast & lunch)
3) John aka scubazoned: ww has received your payment of $59! :dance:
(Whale Tour)
4) Angi aka Thelittlediver: ww has received your payment of $59! :cheerleader:
(Whale Tour)
5) Susan aka Susiq: ww has received your payment of $1309! :cool1:
(trip $1250, whale tour $59)
6) Jim aka spiirriit: ww has received your payment of $1250! :diver:

#142 spiirriit

spiirriit

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Jim aka spiirriit
Payments Summary To Date: $1250
Wk 2 (Jun 1-8)
Extra Days/Nights: none
Int'l Flight: Den to PHL arriving SXM at 1:42PM on 1 Jun. Return: 8 Jun, departing SXM at 2:45PM
Charter Flight: No, LIAT #317/523 1 Jun (arr DOM at 3:50PM) & LIAT #310 8 Jun (arr SXM at 10:05AM) - PAID IN FULL & CONFIRMED
Nitrox $133 for 10 Trip Dives: YES, will post payment today
Whale Tour $59: NO
D/O or S/O: d/o if possible; s/o if not.
Garden View or Ocean View: Garden View roomDocuments: SD Waiver – submitted SD Survey - submitted SD Ins Summary – submitted. we will list as we receive these
Dive Insurance Current: dive insurance is mandatory: DAN #2409672 expires 1 Jan 2014
Trip Insurance:I have insurance that covers this trip already.
Add'l Tours/Diving (List Out): none at this time. May add if available later.
Other/Special Requests: none
DISCOUNTS: f,h

Edited by spiirriit, 23 May 2013 - 10:22 AM.

• WreckWench likes this

#143 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

HEY JIM!!! You did GREAT!!!! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#144 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

There are a few Go Pro Cameras available. If anyone else is interested in buying one for this trip, please let WreckWench know.

#145 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

There are a few Go Pro Cameras available. If anyone else is interested in buying one for this trip, please let WreckWench know.

Yes we just got some inhouse yesterday! I can bring you one if you want it! kamala

p.s. I also have the uber cool red filters for them as well!!!

formerly...

#146 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Whew! OK, all docs have been submitted and I'm collecting the stuff for my medical envelope too. I will be collecting my reg from the techno-guru on Monday and hopefully he will put it in great shape for this trip.

UPDATE: I have deleted the questions to which I've already found answers elsewhere! (Late jumping on this trip, means I'm playing catch-up!)

Thanks,Posted Image

S

Edited by susiq, 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#147 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thanks.

LIAT is a small airline, so some days they are strict about the luggage limit and some days they are not..... A big smile, a few compliments about their 'fast service' (HA! not really), and a lot a patience is also very helpful when checking in.

Since I use the San Juan, Puerto Rico, airport often so I would suggest that you make sure to take a book/magazines or something with you. The airport does not have free wifi, it's very difficult to find an empty electrical outlet to charge anything, and always ask how long the food has been sitting on the counter before you buy anything. It's even good to check the date on the candy as it's rare to exchange anything or obtain a refund. If you carry an empty water bottle, at least you can obtain free water in the secure area and the a/c is so cold you might want to wear a sweater.

Susan

Thanks, Susan, for the input on my Q's. I always DO travel with a sweater/hoodie for the AC. And I'll have reading materials so my tablet can rest if there's no wifi or anyplace to recharge. What about 110/220 at the resort..... should we bring converters? I have one, but it's got Italian prongs not US-type.....

#148 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

Susi the money questions are addressed in the private forum. They are great questions and I think we have answered them all. No worries...just let us know if you can't find them. :thankyou:

formerly...

#149 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Years ago I worked on a cruise ship and during that time I explored many of the Caribbean islands' land attractions ( as I was not yet a diver, only snorkeler) including waterfalls and lakes, old volcanoes, botanical gardens, spice factories, indigenous inhabitants, sugar cane plantations, etc. I don't feel it necessary to see most of this again, and my instinct is that if things have changed they may NOT be for the better...

Although I've not yet been on Dominica I feel that I'd love to spend my afternoons shore-diving or truly chilling out in hammock-time and then out for dinner...... I am feeling like I'd like to spend most of my afternoon time (except for the whale trip) underwater or truly being a sloth.....will I really REALLY be missing that much, given my past experience? Maximizing dive time is why I'm going and spending my $! Posted Image
Feedback welcome!

PS Are we taking the whale trip (2nd week group) on the Sunday after our arrival? Thought I saw that detail somewhere but.....don't know if it's Friday (day before our departure)....

S :cool2:/>

#150 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,630 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

The whale watching trip is Sunday 2pm for BOTH weeks! Friday is totally free for other pursuits!!!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users