• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

When is "Enough" too much?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

If I may add a penny's worth to this.
Stan/scuba ski is right on the airhorn use on any SD trip."Use it only in emergency's"A tap on the tank is good for a notice of a find.Realtive to the horn I have a Sub Duck.Has been reliable for the last 6-7 yrs.Rinse well and it will last.Light's I'd say you'll probably spend between $75.00 to $100.00 for a good one .Depending on your intended use.Searching in wrecks or crevices or trying to use it in lieu of a video light,which requires more Lumins.Look at Hollis or a Intova light in wieght and reasonable in cost.

The advantage of a tethered dive knife is if your mid water in a entanglement and you drop the knife due to nerves or cold its only a few feet away not on the bottom 50' away. If you need you can always cut the tether. Have you every used the DAN surface marker? I have the same, works like crap as a SMB if you try to deploy and shoot at 70'. I've deployed mine 5-6 times with poor results, bought a new Zeagle SMB to replace my worn out one (10 years) Works great every time. Air horn work great, I have only surface horn model, rinse well after diving. With all due repect, If your on a SD.com trip in Dominica you can ditch half your gear.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for taking the time!! I appreciate the heads-up on the DAN SMB. I have not needed to put it to use yet so I was unaware of it's drawbacks. It sounds like I would be prudent to change it out. I am shopping the Zeagle and have found one for $50. Does that sound about right?
What brand of air horn are you partial to (have had the best success with)?
And no disrespect taken; that's why I started this thread for in the first place. What "half" would you say are good candidates for elimination?
Lastly; did you have any input for a good primary dive light (I'm really not interested in a canister light for both weight and cost considerations)?

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#17 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

The advantage of a tethered dive knife is if your mid water in a entanglement and you drop the knife due to nerves or cold its only a few feet away not on the bottom 50' away. If you need you can always cut the tether. Have you every used the DAN surface marker? I have the same, works like crap as a SMB if you try to deploy and shoot at 70'. I've deployed mine 5-6 times with poor results, bought a new Zeagle SMB to replace my worn out one (10 years) Works great every time. Air horn work great, I have only surface horn model, rinse well after diving. With all due repect, If your on a SD.com trip in Dominica you can ditch half your gear.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for taking the time!! I appreciate the heads-up on the DAN SMB. I have not needed to put it to use yet so I was unaware of it's drawbacks. It sounds like I would be prudent to change it out. I am shopping the Zeagle and have found one for $50. Does that sound about right?
What brand of air horn are you partial to (have had the best success with)?
And no disrespect taken; that's why I started this thread for in the first place. What "half" would you say are good candidates for elimination?
Lastly; did you have any input for a good primary dive light (I'm really not interested in a canister light for both weight and cost considerations)?

Online about $60 just for Zeagle SMB, you can purchase a special bag that holds it and attaches to Zeagle BC( I use Zeagle bc, but I place DAN SMB in it). I rig Zeagle SMB w/ attached 70'thumb reel on BC waist belt, very easy to reach and deploy. I use Dive Alert air horn about $70 buy specific model for your bc. Dive light I suggest either Princeton Tec or Kenitic 8cell-AA LED cost about $50-70 and take care of all your night diving needs. AA batteries easy to find anywhere. I load Lithum AA at start of trip @ home and use every night for a week no problem. I usually have a video-still camera with 2 lights on it which I use as backup for night dives and primary for day dives. PM me for online retail suggestions if needed.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#18 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

I carry this DAN SMB that has additional signaling equipment built into it.

https://www.diversal.../home.aspx?id=5

Also I have a mirror that I carry that also has all of my DAN info on it, including phone numbers, that is attached to my BC. I figure if I am in a circumstance where I need DAN, better have that info as close as possible where someone else can find it quickly.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

The OMS® Dye marker is packaged in a water proof container rated to 330' FSW, provides a highly visible fluorescent, environmentally friendly "dye slick" that lasts for 30 minutes and enables aircraft to quickly locate the lost diver. This "slick" can be seen for a mile or more. Current, wind and wave action will affect the shape and duration of the pattern. Meets MILSPEC: MIL-S-17890D.

Posted Image

Thanks Racer184,

Do you have an on-line distributor you like to use for this product?

YEP! OMS is one of our corporate sponsors! And the owner was the best man at my wedding so I'd say we can hook you up! :teeth:

They can help you with an smb, lights, reels, dye marker pictured above, mirror and whistle and just about any other safety devices you need including a clear tube to store something you need kept dry!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

And since you are a gadget guru you'll eventually need the Diver's GPS and in this case SD is a direct distributor since I believe in them so much!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#21 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

1. Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer attached to H.P. line on right side secured w/ re-tractor to right chest "D" ring
2. Oceanic Atom 3.0 wrist DC w/wireless trans. (back-up) (worn right wrist; I'm a south-paw)
3. DAN "SMB" surface signal kit (DAN SSK ) attached to right rear "D" ring under BC wing (incl. whistle, mirror, and safety light)
4. 3" Wenoka dive knife, left rear waist belt
5. DiveRite Jon Line to front right waist belt of TransPac
6. DiveRite Thigh Pocket (on right thigh) containing:
a. 3" finger spool w/ 100' mason's line & snap link (for SMB)
b. writing slate
c. laser pointer (yes I can {and DO} keep it out of both diver's, and marine life's eyes, & no it is not a "cat's toy" for the local reef fish)
d. flashlight ( one or more on any given dive: Princeton Tec Torrent LED, Intova Tactical Torch, and/or Big Blue AL250) (all small hand-helds {8- "AA", 2-"CR123", 3-"AAA" respectively})
e. (exterior - on daisy chain, front) Eezycut Trilobite cutting tool (for any line cutting... this tool rocks! And will always be the first one I reach for!!) (Trilobite )
f. (exterior - on daisy chain, side) DiveRite titanium shears

IMO,For carribean diving Keep 1,2,3(but upgrade to SMB), 4(move to front triangle chest),6a (ready attached to SMB), 6d( go w/Torrent LED 8-aa).
Pack but don't rig 5,6,6b,6c,6f.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

Thanks Stan...GREAT JOB!!! As soon as I get a chance I'll do a similar list!

formerly...

#23 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hey George,

I was meaning to ask you in Bonaire, how did you get that DAN mirror/info tag? I was admiring it our dive locker. I got home and looked it up but couldnt find it anywhere on DAN's site. I have a feeling it's a discontinued item :tears:/>

Also I have a mirror that I carry that also has all of my DAN info on it, including phone numbers, that is attached to my BC. I figure if I am in a circumstance where I need DAN, better have that info as close as possible where someone else can find it quickly.

#24 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hey George,

I was meaning to ask you in Bonaire, how did you get that DAN mirror/info tag? I was admiring it our dive locker. I got home and looked it up but couldnt find it anywhere on DAN's site. I have a feeling it's a discontinued item :tears:/>/>/>/>

They are called Dan tags, and used to be made by a company called Palancar Industries for Dan. They were a great product. However, unfortunately, it looks like that relationship has ended. This info was on the DAN website from 2012...

DanTags

#25 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hi Rosa,

Thanks for the info. Coincidentally I found out the same thing this weekend. I was at a DUI Demo day and DAN was there. I asked them about the tags and they told me the same thing. They said they get the question about the tags all the time and are looking for someone to pick up the manufacturing, but they also said for me not to hold my breath. It's too bad, I think those tags are a great idea on many levels.

Hey George,

I was meaning to ask you in Bonaire, how did you get that DAN mirror/info tag? I was admiring it our dive locker. I got home and looked it up but couldnt find it anywhere on DAN's site. I have a feeling it's a discontinued item Posted Image/>/>/>/>

They are called Dan tags, and used to be made by a company called Palancar Industries for Dan. They were a great product. However, unfortunately, it looks like that relationship has ended. This info was on the DAN website from 2012...

DanTags

#26 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yes. They're pretty awesome. I guess I'd better take care of mine.

#27 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hey everyone. I used to frequent these waters, did a couple of SD trips and life got in the way, but like mold I always manage a return...

Anyways, for me, simplicity equals zen. Provided a tropical reef boat dive I would snap on my boat kit. Its a brass clip that holds a finger spool, smb and whistle. Add a AA light for looking in holes ( doubles as a signal mirror) and thats it.

For a local shore dive I would drop the kit for a dive flag, add a knife and two other cutting tools, typically a zip cutter and emt shears, a C sized light for day, or thats a backup for a D light for night dives. For local boat dives Ill add a wreck reel and pony bottle along with the boat kit I mentioned above.

Thats it. I might take a slate if I think I might need it but mostly not. I might take dive tables too if I am bumping rec limits.

Now that is basic sightseeing gear. Im a photog so I almost always have a camera and strobe but I consider that sort of thing different than what was asked. Activity specific gear is not really dive gear.

Cheers...Drew
  • WreckWench likes this
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#28 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

I like simplicity, so I usually carry the same equipment for all my dives. I have a primary can light, two backup lights, a semi-closed lift bag in my backplate pocket and a small knife on my belt. Clipped off in my right pocket I have wet notes (w/ small crescent wrench), spare mask; clipped in my left pocket is a pre rigged 6' SMB, xtra 150' spool, xtra double ender, sea snips, whistle/horn.

I will pick up an eprb with transmit capability as my team and I do longer deco dives off shore.

Edited by VADiver, 03 June 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Drew...its GREAT to hear from you! And really good input to this thread! :thankyou:

Hopefully life will let you join us diving again SOON!!! Can you do NC over the 4th or Florida in July???? :pray:

Vinny you follow the school of thought of 'always' diving the same gear configuration so that you 'have what you need' and you can 'dive what you have'. All good... :teeth:

formerly...

#30 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Drew...its GREAT to hear from you! And really good input to this thread! :thankyou:/>

Hopefully life will let you join us diving again SOON!!! Can you do NC over the 4th or Florida in July???? :pray:/>

Vinny you follow the school of thought of 'always' diving the same gear configuration so that you 'have what you need' and you can 'dive what you have'. All good... :teeth:/>

Hey Kamala, great to be back. Cant do those trips, but I might be able to sneak away next year!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users