• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY!!! 2014-05/06: DOMINICA!!! SAVE THE DATES!! May 24-31 AND May 31-Jun 7, 2014

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#76 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well, with the price of flights as low as $675 RT on AA, albeit with an overnight in San Juan each way, put me down for May 24-May 31.

Done! ;)

#77 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Well, with the price of flights as low as $675 RT on AA, albeit with an overnight in San Juan each way, put me down for May 24-May 31.

George, I'm also seeing $750s for a flight from Chicago to DOM. 1 stop between with a long layover. I was using Kayak to find it so I can't see the details as to exactly how long the layover is and where it would be though. For someone willing to wing it a little I guess that's a pretty cheap flight to get there.

Edited by ScubaTurtle, 22 August 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#78 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

I would BUY THOSE TICKETS NOW!!! That is a a great introductory price to launch the new service to DOMINICA!!!

I will get this trip opened sooner vs later so everyone can feel confident in booking air. :cool1:

The number one dive destination IMHO in the Caribbean AND my birthday! It don't get any better than that! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#79 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

George, I'm also seeing $750s for a flight from Chicago to DOM. 1 stop between with a long layover. I was using Kayak to find it so I can't see the details as to exactly how long the layover is and where it would be though. For someone willing to wing it a little I guess that's a pretty cheap flight to get there.

I had done the same thing, which is frustrating when they don't give the details. I then used the search engine www.vayama.com which showed it to be AA.

Going to AA's website, the price isn't quite that cheap, but OTOH, I can select my flights and get better times than the combo Vayama is offering and shave about 12 hours off the travel time. I could really cut it down with no long layovers, but that flight combo comes up as $1347 RT.

#80 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

I had done the same thing, which is frustrating when they don't give the details. I then used the search engine www.vayama.com which showed it to be AA.

Going to AA's website, the price isn't quite that cheap, but OTOH, I can select my flights and get better times than the combo Vayama is offering and shave about 12 hours off the travel time. I could really cut it down with no long layovers, but that flight combo comes up as $1347 RT.

For the ones that I was looking at it seemed like the layovers were anywhere from 28-34 hrs, if I remember correctly. So as you mentioned George, that might mean a night in a hotel each way somewhere or a REALLY long layover at the airport. If a hotel room is used that bumps up the cost a bit. I'm not sure if I could handle a layover in an airport of more than 12 hrs. I know I would run out of things to do after a while and would want a place to shower. Sadly even though the prices are cheap I'll have to wait to make any decisions on next year's trips until after Truk & Palau. I'm hoping for something in the Oct/Nov range at least right now.

#81 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

AA has traditionally had a layover in SJU. I am not surprised that the new routing and return of AA.com to Dominica will result in a layover in SJU.

Going via SXM or Antigua etc via BVI will allow you to get there in 1 day. You can also get there in one day via LIAT. The latter does not allow as much luggage and *typically* has a bit higher customer complaint level. However all small carriers will have issues going to small islands...its the nature of the beast.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#82 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

AA has traditionally had a layover in SJU. I am not surprised that the new routing and return of AA.com to Dominica will result in a layover in SJU.

Going via SXM or Antigua etc via BVI will allow you to get there in 1 day. You can also get there in one day via LIAT. The latter does not allow as much luggage and *typically* has a bit higher customer complaint level. However all small carriers will have issues going to small islands...its the nature of the beast.

Thanks Kamala. Assuming a layover in SJU I looked at a hotel that seems like it's within the airport (keeping commute time down) and the going rate is $119 per night.

#83 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

That price can vary but usually its $100 to $120 a nite or half that if you split a room with someone. Typically we have people want to share rooms and we help them with that.

For many having access to AA miles again will be very good and of course having another option is always good!

formerly...

#84 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, the seaborne airlines flight is a once daily, leaving at 11:45am, arriving Dominica at 1:40pm, with the return departing 2:10 arriving SJU 4:10pm.

That makes same day connections really tough. One option on the way there is a 7:30am out of Miami. So to do that, I can take a red-eye that gets me into Miami at 5:30. So its a choice, would you rather have an overnight layover in a hotel room, or a red-eye?

On the return, it seems there are two flights out of SJU, one at 5:25pm to JFK or one to Miami leaving at 7:25pm. Both get you into those two airports too late to catch a connection back west till morning.

From out west SXM isn't really any better in that the earliest I can get into St. Maartin on a same day flight is 8:30pm, and the latest flight to make it home, the flight departs SXM at 8:15.

So, in other words, The question isn't if I take an overnight layover, but where is the best place to take it. San Juan, St. Maartin, or Miami?

#85 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

Whoever has the cheapest hotel rooms?
Or whichever city has others also doing layovers overnight?
Or if its a holiday...the closest city to your final destination! ;)

formerly...

#86 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi Kamala,

What are your thoughts on this itinerary. I'm a tiny bit worried about the return as I would have exactly 1hr 45min to get from the charter flight to my return flight out of SXM back to EWR. It's a great price I think, so if you think it'll work I'll take it.

Depart: 9:00 a.m. Sat., May. 24, 2014 New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Arrive: 1:12 p.m. Sat., May. 24, 2014 St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles (SXM) Flight: UA1444

Sat., May. 31, 2014 | St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles (SXM) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Depart: 2:12 p.m. Sat., May. 31, 2014 St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles (SXM)
Arrive: 6:53 p.m. Sat., May. 31, 2014 New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Flight: UA1677

#87 gmk

gmk

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:157

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

people talking about flights has me wondering if this trip has opened. Its definitely on my list for next year so I don't want to miss it.

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

#88 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

It's not open for booking yet. However, the dates are locked in so you can start pricing air if you like.

#89 gmk

gmk

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:157

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

It's not open for booking yet. However, the dates are locked in so you can start pricing air if you like.

and there is no max on the number of people, so I don't have to be concerned about not getting on the trip?

A good dive trip (Turks and Caicos in this case) always makes me excited for the next trip.

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

#90 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,666 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Well technically there is a max but having 2 weeks to choose from means we rarely fill the trips. So you are pretty safe... (Plus we have a sister hotel so actually it would be VERY hard to sell out this trip!)

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users