• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Has Pre-Check arrived in YOUR home airport?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

If you have Global Entry one of the benefits is PRE-Check which allows you to clear domestic security MUCH faster. You do not have to remove your shoes, belt, nor your light weight jacket. You can leave your liquids in your bag and your laptop in its case. (Sounds like the way we used to do security checks.)

So has PRE come to your airport???

NOTE: Pre has come to GSP and I've noticed that they let me go thru the old scanner and the nude-o-meters which is great because now I don't have to get a pat down every time I travel.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 gmk

gmk

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:157

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

So I just applied for Global Entry. We'll see how long it takes - hopefully before Saba and St Kitt, but I won't hold my breath.

A question - if I am approved fro Global Entry does that get me access to the TSA Pre Check as well.

Looking forward to whatever line I'm in as long as it leads me to water. :)

gwyn

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

If you have Global Entry one of the benefits is PRE-Check which allows you to clear domestic security MUCH faster. You do not have to remove your shoes, belt, nor your light weight jacket. You can leave your liquids in your bag and your laptop in its case. (Sounds like the way we used to do security checks.)

So has PRE come to your airport???

NOTE: Pre has come to GSP and I've noticed that they let me go thru the old scanner and the nude-o-meters which is great because now I don't have to get a pat down every time I travel.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

YES!!! If you have global entry you get PrE as part of the pkg! SUHWEET!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

PRE is in Phoenix. The last time I flew, the line for PRE was longer than the regular line and it didn't look very appealing. BUT with that being said, I also just applied for GOES so I'll see how long it takes to get my interview and whether the whole thing ends up being worth it. I'm hoping and pretty sure it will be done prior to the Maldives; customs at JFK is what really prompted my application.
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Even with a longer line...without removing shoes, jacket, liquids and computer from your bag...it will go faster!

formerly...

#6 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

I've had Global Entry since March and have gotten to use it on two trips so far. If you get Global Entry then you become what they call a Trusted Traveler and you definitely are Pre-check, but it does seem like you need to enter you traveler ID number, that you get when you are approved for global Entry, into your airline reservation in order for pre-check to apply on that specific itinerary. At least that's what the airline told me. Also, not all airlines can do Pre Check even if it's available at that airport, and of course not all airports can do pre-check even it the sirline is a participant in the program.

Not only that, even if your airport has pre-check and your airline is a participant in the pre-check program, that doesn't mean that pre-check will be available for you for a number of reasons. Some airports only do pre-check during certain times of the day, depending on how busy the airport is. Also, for security reasons, they want to keep things random so you may or may not get pre-check benefits even if you are pre-check qualified. You won't find out till you get your boarding pass.

There's also variations on what you get out of pre-check. Sometimes it means you don't have to take off shoes or belt, etc. Sometimes it means you go through a shorter line. Sometimes it means both and sometimes it means neither.

My formula is to not check in more than 2hours prior to takeoff sometimes I push it down to 70-90 mins. The one time I had no pre-check benefits was when I checked in 2.5 hours prior to the flight. When I've checked in 2 hours or less I've had clearer sailing.

Expect at least a month after you apply for Global Entry before you even get the notification for making an appointment for the interview. Then depending on how busy the airport is another couple of weeks before you get the appointment. Then the time to get the card in the mail. I think it took me just under 3 months total.

That all being said Global Entry is awesome! Last time I used it in Houston I was from plane to luggage in under 5 minutes. In JFK I made it from plane to martini bar in 15 minutes! Definitely a plus with tight layovers!

Edited by jesterdiver, 13 December 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#7 gmk

gmk

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the insight. I definitely wish I had submitted my application sooner. But it will be worth it eventually as I always seem to have a tight connection.

gwyn

:fish2: :fish2:

I've had Global Entry since March and have gotten to use it on two trips so far. If you get Global Entry then you become what they call a Trusted Traveler and you definitely are Pre-check, but it does seem like you need to enter you traveler ID number, that you get when you are approved for global Entry, into your airline reservation in order for pre-check to apply on that specific itinerary. At least that's what the airline told me. Also, not all airlines can do Pre Check even if it's available at that airport, and of course not all airports can do pre-check even it the sirline is a participant in the program.

Not only that, even if your airport has pre-check and your airline is a participant in the pre-check program, that doesn't mean that pre-check will be available for you for a number of reasons. Some airports only do pre-check during certain times of the day, depending on how busy the airport is. Also, for security reasons, they want to keep things random so you may or may not get pre-check benefits even if you are pre-check qualified. You won't find out till you get your boarding pass.

There's also variations on what you get out of pre-check. Sometimes it means you don't have to take off shoes or belt, etc. Sometimes it means you go through a shorter line. Sometimes it means both and sometimes it means neither.

My formula is to not check in more than 2hours prior to takeoff sometimes I push it down to 70-90 mins. The one time I had no pre-check benefits was when I checked in 2.5 hours prior to the flight. When I've checked in 2 hours or less I've had clearer sailing.

Expect at least a month after you apply for Global Entry before you even get the notification for making an appointment for the interview. Then depending on how busy the airport is another couple of weeks before you get the appointment. Then the time to get the card in the mail. I think it took me just under 3 months total.

That all being said Global Entry is awesome! Last time I used it in Houston I was from plane to luggage in under 5 minutes. In JFK I made it from plane to martini bar in 15 minutes! Definitely a plus with tight layovers!

#8 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Gwyn,

Time to get the global entry will all depend on a lot of different variables. Jesterdiver took three months but I was able to get my card in a very short amount of time.

I sent in my application online the beginning of March 2013 and I had my interview 16 days later. I learned later (after the interview) that I did, in fact, get lucky getting in the interview that soon after submitting my application. I took a day off work so I wouldn't have to wait another 4 weeks for an appt. Someone else waiting while I was in the waiting room for the interview had waited a while as well to be able to get an appointment time.

Once the interview occurred I got my card in the mail in less than 3 weeks. Now I know that's probably not average but I just wanted to let people know that the process seems HIGHLY variable in terms of time frames for approvals and issuing cards.

Good luck getting yours ASAP! It's great for at least getting through customs more efficiently. I haven't been able to use the pre-check yet but it's nice that I should be able to eventually.

DISCLOSURE: I am a federal employee already for another agency so I'm not sure if somehow that helped my background check go faster. They didn't mention it at the interview but I thought I would disclose.

#9 gmk

gmk

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

I too am a federal employee so if that card speeds things up, I will not complain. :wakawaka:

based on your faster time line, I still doubt I will have it in time for St Kitts over New Years - two weeks away. But surely in time for Dominica.

thanks for the optimistic boost regardless.

gwyn

:fish: :fish: :fish:

Gwyn,

Time to get the global entry will all depend on a lot of different variables. Jesterdiver took three months but I was able to get my card in a very short amount of time.

I sent in my application online the beginning of March 2013 and I had my interview 16 days later. I learned later (after the interview) that I did, in fact, get lucky getting in the interview that soon after submitting my application. I took a day off work so I wouldn't have to wait another 4 weeks for an appt. Someone else waiting while I was in the waiting room for the interview had waited a while as well to be able to get an appointment time.

Once the interview occurred I got my card in the mail in less than 3 weeks. Now I know that's probably not average but I just wanted to let people know that the process seems HIGHLY variable in terms of time frames for approvals and issuing cards.

Good luck getting yours ASAP! It's great for at least getting through customs more efficiently. I haven't been able to use the pre-check yet but it's nice that I should be able to eventually.

DISCLOSURE: I am a federal employee already for another agency so I'm not sure if somehow that helped my background check go faster. They didn't mention it at the interview but I thought I would disclose.

#10 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

SNIP.............
based on your faster time line, I still doubt I will have it in time for St Kitts over New Years - two weeks away. But surely in time for Dominica.
thanks for the optimistic boost regardless.
gwyn

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Gwyn,

I think your right about getting it before your next trip. That is a bit short but I agree that it's very likely you should be able to get it by Dominica.

You're very welcome for the boost!

#11 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

YES!!! If you have global entry you get PrE as part of the pkg! SUHWEET!!!

Kind of. Your airline has to have Pre check and you have to put your trusted traveler number on your reservation. I know Southwest does not offer it and probably some of the smaller airlines also. But Denver does have a line at both North and South checkpoints and United offers precheck. It is awesome!!!

As soon as you check in online you should see the symbol on the boarding pass. If you don't then maybe you were randomly not assigned or just a SNAFU.

Those of you who got quick interviews good on you. Took me 6 months to get an interview.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

As Jose and everyone has said...all airports are different. The appts at DFW were so booked I could NEVER get one. I actually booked a longer layover in MIA and set up an appt there and did it within a relatively short period of time compared to how busy DFW was. I would expect DC to be just a busy.

Once your initial application is completed then you can schedule the appt. ...at least that is how they did it a couple of years ago when I got mine.

And as mentioned...if you don't enter your trusted traveler number at time of booking...they won't flag your ticket as PRE. If you take your card with you and show it...you can still do PRE clearance.

formerly...

#13 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

SO - I just checked my application status with GOES and it's been approved and I need to schedule an interview. Well, I checked Phoenix and they don't have availability until Feb 27! Do I just schedule it with them and hope that the card is issued in enough time for our March 12 departure to Maldives OR find another location that can schedule an interview quicker?
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#14 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

SO - I just checked my application status with GOES and it's been approved and I need to schedule an interview. Well, I checked Phoenix and they don't have availability until Feb 27! Do I just schedule it with them and hope that the card is issued in enough time for our March 12 departure to Maldives OR find another location that can schedule an interview quicker?

Once the interview is done it is just a matter of days before you get your number. You will get a note that says "Approval Notification" and the number there is your trusted traveler number that you can enter into the airline reservation system. A few days after that the card will arrive. You have almost 2 weeks. Should be fine. However YMMV!!!!

Edited by ev780, 13 December 2013 - 02:43 PM.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#15 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

Once the interview is done it is just a matter of days before you get your number. You will get a note that says "Approval Notification" and the number there is your trusted traveler number that you can enter into the airline reservation system. A few days after that the card will arrive. You have almost 2 weeks. Should be fine. However YMMV!!!!

After reading your response, I figured, "Oh Well, might as well just try Phoenix and keep my fingers crossed." I re-logged into the GOES site, requested an appointment and lo and behold! JAN 30 is available - WooHoo!! Looks like I should have it in time for Maldives!! Yipee!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users