• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Rental Dive Gear - Cost?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Forgive me as I've never been on a true 'dive trip'. I want to ensure that I'm financially prepared for the costs that I will have on my trip. I know that every place is probably a little different in their costs, but maybe there is an average cost or range? I have some of my gear but not all of it. Currently, I have my own mask, fins, rash guard, boots, snorkel and gear bag. I'm planning on buying a wetsuit. I'm assuming I will need to rent a BCD, tank/air, weights, dive computer & regulator (Please add more if I've missed anything). How much can I expect to pay for renting these type of things? Are these rentals generally included in SD trips?

Any advice/insight is Very Much Appreciated! Posted Image
  • Mermaid Lady likes this
Posted Image

#2 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Generally the tank/fill and weights are included in the cost of the trip. The rest varies depending on the location and since I haven't rented any of that recently I don't know how much it might be. You can look at some of the previous trip pages or do a search of the forum for rental and that should give you an idea.

One of the first things I bought after going on my first few dive trips was my own wetsuit, reg and dive computer. The wetsuit so I would know it fit, reg so I would know the condition of it and the dive computer so I could download the dives to my computer and know better how it worked.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#3 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Butch is spot on with his recommendation, a well fitting wetsuit for the conditions you'll encounter and your thermal needs. Eventually you'll have a pile of neoprene but to get started a 3mil or 5mil one piece is usually a good starting place. The next piece I'd recommend is a good dive computer, it's going to be one of the single most expensive pieces of dive gear and it should have enough capability for you for several years. Read everything you can on the myriad of computers and ask questions about any you are considering buying. There are a lot of good solid computers out there. Good luck in your quest. :-)

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

Hello and great question. I would suggest the wetsuit first only so it fits and its personal if you know what I mean. Go on an SD trip and use one of our famous Cochran computers for free so that's covered. Then I would get either your bc or your reg next. The reg is easy because its life support but the bc is critical because its how you function in the water. If you can't get your bouyancy right...it may be you or it may be your equipment. Once you understand how your gear works...you can soon rule out it being your gear and then we can fix the other.

I would also make sure you test a jacket style bc (you probably learned in one) and a backpkate and wing (which keeps you VERY flat and level in the water) so you can get the bc that works best for you.

And finally I would talk to you more about gear that is easy to service and will last forever with care so you make the best investment you can and it lasts as long as you can. There are very few new developments in scuba...I use gear that is over 50 years old and its better than new stuff. That means you can save a lot of money if you buy wisely.

When you are ready to start buying your reg or bcd please email me at the address in my signature line and I will help you figure out what you need now and in the future and combine that with our partner's specials to help you get a great deal!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

The reason I haven't purchased a BCD is simply because I don't know exactly what I want (and the price). I thought I could rent a few and try them out to find out what I like and don't like as far as features. In my dive training, I did find things about my BCD that I did and didn't like. I've never tried a backplate but I've seen them. They seem very simple w/ no frills or pockets. But I may love it once I try one... who knows.
Great to know I can use one of SD's dive computers until I'm able to get my own!! Awesome!! I'm also waiting to purchase that until I know exactly what I want.
I guess this is why I wonder how much it costs to rent all of these things.

Thank you for your help, you all have given great advice!!
Posted Image

#6 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

I don't know if it is representative or not, but this page has the rental rates for the company we dive with in Bonaire.

http://www.diviresor...ving-rates.html

#7 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

My feelings are similar to what others have posted. When I bought the balance of my equipment in the mid 80's, I opted to spend extra on the regs. I am presently on my fourth BCD, and still using my original reg. I recommend buying a good reg, and making sure that you rinse it well after use. It will last. As I do not have a local dive shop in my area, I have made a number of purchases of gear from online dive shops over the years. In the last few years, I have stopped buying online, and have been buying through Kamala. Her prices are as good as the discount shops, if not better, plus she is a wonderful information source. An additional benefit is that she has not limited me to a specific product line. If I was looking at a certain item, and it was not something that she carried, she would get it for me without a problem. An example is the special she is presently offering for a stage bottle reg. It is $20.00 cheaper than I have found online.

The reason I haven't purchased a BCD is simply because I don't know exactly what I want (and the price). I thought I could rent a few and try them out to find out what I like and don't like as far as features. In my dive training, I did find things about my BCD that I did and didn't like. I've never tried a backplate but I've seen them. They seem very simple w/ no frills or pockets. But I may love it once I try one... who knows.
Great to know I can use one of SD's dive computers until I'm able to get my own!! Awesome!! I'm also waiting to purchase that until I know exactly what I want.
I guess this is why I wonder how much it costs to rent all of these things.

Thank you for your help, you all have given great advice!!

#8 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hi again!! You said you liked some things about the BC you used and some things you didn't. Can you be more specific? What did you like and what didn't you like? On the subject of a backplate and wing as stated earlier, they are designed to put you in a picture perfect horizontal position :diver: while diving. The only caveat I have is, on the surface, the more air you add to the wing the harder it tries to put your face underwater. It is in my opinion the only negative aspect of this setup. The tendency to push your face in the water is manageable with training and proper weighting but something to think about. Please feel free to ask all the questions you’d like. All of us have been where you are, and are more than willing to help you make informed decisions on what gear we believe will serve you best. Our fearless leader Wreck Wench :blond: will be there along the way too.

I’m the reason you don’t rent a wetsuit :-D

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#9 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hey, Shelly. You've got the basics covered. The only thing I would add & it may be obvious would be to take into consideration where you will do the majority of your diving when choosing your wetsuit. Certain configurations can be quite a personal adventure. Plus, do you tend to run hot or cold??? Personally, my next priority would be the regulator set-up. It is your lifeline, after all. Wait to buy the computer until you know just what you're after. There are so many choices. I still find that after every trip I go on I end up tweaking something. As far as the BCD goes, fit, comfort, personal preference, LIFT & LOW PROFILE!!! I always seem to keep adding stuff. It's good to not be cruising around down there requiring back-up indicators!!! Posted Image

Please take into consideration that the above comments come from a NON-TECH diver!!! Posted Image

Do you have a shop that you trust? Where were you certified? What part of town are you in??? I would suggest purchasing through Kamala. It's always better to look at gear hands on, though!

We'll get you dialed in in no time.

Edited by Buzo Guero, 27 January 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#10 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi again!! You said you liked some things about the BC you used and some things you didn't. Can you be more specific? What did you like and what didn't you like? On the subject of a backplate and wing as stated earlier, they are designed to put you in a picture perfect horizontal position Posted Image while diving. The only caveat I have is, on the surface, the more air you add to the wing the harder it tries to put your face underwater. It is in my opinion the only negative aspect of this setup. The tendency to push your face in the water is manageable with training and proper weighting but something to think about. Please feel free to ask all the questions you'd like. All of us have been where you are, and are more than willing to help you make informed decisions on what gear we believe will serve you best. Our fearless leader Wreck Wench Posted Image will be there along the way too.

I'm the reason you don't rent a wetsuit Posted Image

Things I like: Having places to attach things by tether clips, Having somewhere to put my dive computer so it's not just dangling but still easily accessible (although I'm planning on buying a wireless when I actually do buy one), Having a clip so I can clip on my backup respirator (on the BCD that I used in training, I had to stick it in a pocket and I didn't like that), Having easily removable weights system, Having 2 straps to attach tank, and I'm sure there are other things that I can't remember...

I would like to try a wing but I'm afraid I wouldn't like it because of the lack of places to put things... or is that not really a concern?

Hey, Shelly. You've got the basics covered. The only thing I would add & it may be obvious would be to take into consideration where you will do the majority of your diving when choosing your wetsuit. Certain configurations can be quite a personal adventure. Plus, do you tend to run hot or cold??? Personally, my next priority would be the regulator set-up. It is your lifeline, after all. Wait to buy the computer until you know just what you're after. There are so many choices. I still find that after every trip I go on I end up tweaking something. As far as the BCD goes, fit, comfort, personal preference, LIFT & LOW PROFILE!!! I always seem to keep adding stuff. It's good to not be cruising around down there requiring back-up indicators!!! Posted Image

Please take into consideration that the above comments come from a NON-TECH diver!!! Posted Image

Do you have a shop that you trust? Where were you certified? What part of town are you in??? I would suggest purchasing through Kamala. It's always better to look at gear hands on, though!

We'll get you dialed in in no time.

As far as the wetsuit, I do get cold easily... I live in Phoenix (Chandler/Gilbert) area. Haha! I wore a 7mm wetsuit in my training and the water was 61-65 degrees. I'm thinking that I may get a 5mm wetsuit for most of my dives. I think I would be able to move fairly easily in it (I'm considering the Henderson H2 Titanium w/ the Hyperstretch material) and be warm. I also have a full body rash guard.

We do have SEVERAL shops here... ironically! I was certified at No Limits Scuba and do go there to check out gear from time to time. We also have a great shop that has been here for a long time called El Mar. I love going there! It's a huge shop and the people are very helpful!!

One more thing... I emailed Kamala about purchasing a membership as mine will expire on the 29th. I haven't heard back from here as I'm sure she's busy, but I don't want to lose my access to the forum. Posted Image Can anyone help? I'm not sure how to purchase a membership because when I go to membership right now it shows that I have a free membership and doesn't offer for me to upgrade it.
Posted Image

#11 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

*Snippety*

*Snappety*

*Snoppety*

*Snurp* :teeth:

Nice. Double down embedded post replies. Shelly knows her way around a BBS and Blog. :respect:

And with all the support and useful tips pouring in here you'll be several steps ahead before you step on the plane! :cool1: :diver:

We now return you to our regularly scheduled stream of pertinent information. Impertinently :bam: Yours,

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#12 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

"I would like to try a wing but I'm afraid I wouldn't like it because of the lack of places to put things... or is that not really a concern?"

Shelly - I LOVE my wing. And IMO the longer you dive, the less you look like a Christmas tree (stuff hanging all over you). If you can learn to streamline early, you'll save yourself headaches in the long run. Hopefully we'll meet soon and we can talk gear extensively - I'll bring my stuff and we can play show and tell. I even have an old Zeagle Ranger BC if you want to try that as well. In the end, it's all about what makes you feel comfortable and confident in the water.

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

I am a bit buried right now otherwise would love to answer more fully...but here's a few quick snippets until we can talk more:

1. You can try the gear you buy from our partners..I'll show you how.
2. There are ways to carry everything you need and still dive a wing and NOT be a Christmas tree diver.
3. Most people go to a dive store and get excited and but a lot of stuff (not necessarily bad) and then realize that they did not know what they did not know. In other words... get the type of input you are getting HERE and then let us help you price that out avoiding sales hype, etc that can happen in a retail environment.
4. Since doing the AZ show last fall we now have some arrangements with local shops so lets figure out what you want and need first based upon your desires and what you think you'll be doing diving and THEN we'll figure out the best brand and best place to obtain it!

ps. Traci will be able to give you excellent info on your diving setup and how to ONLY buy gear once regardless of what you do in your diving career!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

A few thoughts on wetsuits...

1. You have to try these on so buy where you find a good deal.
2. If you add a lava core later...we can help with that.
3. Buy MORE neoprene then you think you need. You will chill as you dive so you can open the suit up and add water to cool off but you can't add more neoprene you don't have. So in other words if you are looking at a 3mil or 5mil...buy the 5mil.*

*That is what I did and AND I added a lavacore under it since I FREEZE all the time!

formerly...

#15 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

One more thing... I emailed Kamala about purchasing a membership as mine will expire on the 29th. I haven't heard back from here as I'm sure she's busy, but I don't want to lose my access to the forum. Posted Image Can anyone help? I'm not sure how to purchase a membership because when I go to membership right now it shows that I have a free membership and doesn't offer for me to upgrade it.

I don't see a reply to this so thought I would chime in - you are a "member" right now and I don't think that will expire. You will still be able to access the forums but don't have the "premier" abilities.

To upgrade to a premier member click on the link in Kamala/WreckWench's signature or check out this thread on how to upgrade. Or just click on the membership tab across the top and choose PREMIER and follow the payment prompts. .

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users