• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Rental Dive Gear - Cost?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thanks Butch! You rock!!! :wakawaka:

The basic membership NEVER expires and the premeir is $35 a year and you get $25 back after every trip over $500 you book with us either group or private if you file for it within 30 days after the trip!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

"I would like to try a wing but I'm afraid I wouldn't like it because of the lack of places to put things... or is that not really a concern?"

Shelly - I LOVE my wing. And IMO the longer you dive, the less you look like a Christmas tree (stuff hanging all over you). If you can learn to streamline early, you'll save yourself headaches in the long run. Hopefully we'll meet soon and we can talk gear extensively - I'll bring my stuff and we can play show and tell. I even have an old Zeagle Ranger BC if you want to try that as well. In the end, it's all about what makes you feel comfortable and confident in the water.

I'm eager to meet up with some of my fellow phoenician divers to learn from you guys. I guess I don't want to be a christmas tree... lol I'm very much looking forward to sitting down and looking at what you use and what you recommend Posted Image I know I'll figure all this stuff out with time but I'm just so darn excited, I can't help but wanna know it all now! hehe

Thanks again for all the help I've received so far! There are a much of pretty Awesome people here!

I am a bit buried right now otherwise would love to answer more fully...but here's a few quick snippets until we can talk more:

1. You can try the gear you buy from our partners..I'll show you how.
2. There are ways to carry everything you need and still dive a wing and NOT be a Christmas tree diver.
3. Most people go to a dive store and get excited and but a lot of stuff (not necessarily bad) and then realize that they did not know what they did not know. In other words... get the type of input you are getting HERE and then let us help you price that out avoiding sales hype, etc that can happen in a retail environment.
4. Since doing the AZ show last fall we now have some arrangements with local shops so lets figure out what you want and need first based upon your desires and what you think you'll be doing diving and THEN we'll figure out the best brand and best place to obtain it!

ps. Traci will be able to give you excellent info on your diving setup and how to ONLY buy gear once regardless of what you do in your diving career!

Kamala, when you have time (I know you're very busy!) I would like to hear more about local shops here in PHX that you partner with! So when you get the chance, shoot me a message or you can also call if that is easier.

As far as the membership, My page doesn't look like that one in the tutorial. I went through those steps before and what I see is not the same. I don't have any options, unfortunately. Please see below:
Posted Image

Maybe the page will change tomorrow... since the above will expire then?? I'm not sure but I'll find out then!
Posted Image

#18 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

As far as the membership, My page doesn't look like that one in the tutorial. I went through those steps before and what I see is not the same. I don't have any options, unfortunately. Please see below:

Maybe the page will change tomorrow... since the above will expire then?? I'm not sure but I'll find out then!

SassyLilCutie, Since the membership page isn't cooperating for you I would try to use the link from Kamala's signature.

When you go there just select to pay for the basic membership. They can process your payment that way as well.

#19 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Hey, Shelly. You are welcome to check out my scuba gear, as well. Between my sons & I, we have 4 sets at the house. You are welcome to take my back-up set of regs (the one I teach in), should you want to check it out, live.

I've known the folks at El Mar since the 80's. Use their locations in Tempe & San Carlos. Haven't been to your shop, though I met them at the dive show last year. I'm currently affiliated with Ultimate in Scottsdale.

Happy Hour?!?!? Posted Image

#20 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hey, Shelly. You are welcome to check out my scuba gear, as well. Between my sons & I, we have 4 sets at the house. You are welcome to take my back-up set of regs (the one I teach in), should you want to check it out, live.

I've known the folks at El Mar since the 80's. Use their locations in Tempe & San Carlos. Haven't been to your shop, though I met them at the dive show last year. I'm currently affiliated with Ultimate in Scottsdale.

Happy Hour?!?!? Posted Image

I might just take you up on that offer to check out your gear and back-up regs and YES to Happy Hour!! Posted Image

Never been to Ultimate but the peeps at El Mar are fantastic!
Posted Image

#21 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

SassyLilCutie, Since the membership page isn't cooperating for you I would try to use the link from Kamala's signature.

When you go there just select to pay for the basic membership. They can process your payment that way as well.

and..... DONE! Posted ImagePosted Image I'm now (or soon to be once granted) a Premier Member! Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#22 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

and..... DONE! Posted ImagePosted Image I'm now (or soon to be once granted) a Premier Member! Posted ImagePosted Image

Fantastic!! Posted Image to premier membership!

#23 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hey Shelly,

:welcome:/> to SD.com! You have a great contingency of divers in AZ that will be happy to help you with gear advice. In general the members here are all incredibly friendly and divers love to talk diving. I wish I had a resource like this available to me when I got into diving, I would have saved so much money thru great advice and dive connections.

I've learned more about diving in this last year than I have in the last 10. The best piece of advice you can get regarding gear is try before you buy! I agree completely with Kamala, I would definitely look at getting a 5mm wetsuit if you chill easy. You can always cool down by letting some cool water into your suit, but you can never warm up if your suit isn't thick enough. Layering with lavacore is the strategy I use, but you can always layer with a neoprene shorty as well.

As for the BCD vs. Reg's question, my vote is lean towards getting a BCD. Like Kamala said, a BCD directly affects how you divea and switching bcd's for every trip will make it hard for you to get a feeling of consistency in your diving. Different BCD's hold air in different places, inflate at different rates, dump air from different valves and in different positions. Getting used to a single BCD will help you advance your diving technique much faster as you won't have to adapt your diving to the BCD everytime.

Of course regs are important and they are life support. In a perfect world you could pick up both, ( which may be more feasible than you think with the deals Kamala can get with manufacturers, and considering you have experienced divers that can guide you into gear that isn't super expensive but are great quality), but if I had to choose, I think the BCD will have a bigger payoff in terms of you becoming more comfortable diving.

Oh and I'm also a big fan of backplates and wings! I've dove jacket style BC's and Rear Inflate BC's for 10 years. I know exclusively dive backplates and wings and will never go back. It naturally puts you in perfect positioning in the water. It also has plenty of attachment points for your SPG, computer, lights, etc. There's a reason why it's the main technical diving configuration, where sometimes you have to carry lots of gear and it has to stay accessible and streamlined.

Feel free if you have any questions and try on as much gear as you can before buying. On your first SD trip, Kamala can help you with gear that will suit you specifically. Oh and on that note, I highly recommend doing the RAB program. I brought my best friend on a trip so he could have the benefit of that one on one mentoring with Kamala. You'll see a dramatic difference in your confidence and skill level by the end of the week!

Good luck and hope to meet you soon!
  • WreckWench likes this

#24 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

I'm thinking March - after Truk, before Maldives - for the HH.

Definitely March! I don't think I can wait till May!! haha

And Thanks for all of the feedback, Jose (JesterDiver)! I think I'm gonna simma down and hold on till I can meet with some people here and talk to Kamala once things slow down for her.

I can't say this enough.... You guys have been so SO Helpful and I'm Very Grateful for all of the advice provided by everyone! Posted Image

This community is really what I needed to take a big step forward with my life & I really appreciate you guys in making it less scary and Lots more Exciting!! Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

Shelly never lose your enthusiasm for diving or life! But its hard in today's world to be excited about anything.

Diving allows us to enter a world that is the polar opposite of the one we live in...and it allows us to abandon our fears...our cares...and follow our dreams!

However we are not meant to live under water so its scary. Reaching out to a new group of people you've never met is scary. Doing something you've never done before is often scary for everyone.

But know this...we have all walked in your shoes... we are all pushing our own envelopes but with the support of this group...this great dive club...we all find a place we can call home! And then once we are no longer afraid...we reach out to others and the cycle is renewed!

So enjoy...and its ok to be a bit nervous...but it won't last forever and soon you'll be returning the favor to someone else!

We are truly glad you have found us... I speak for everyone when I say that we relive your joy and excitement as if we were new again ourselves! :thankyou:
  • WreckWench and Scubatooth like this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#26 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Stay away from Jose & I, if you want to avoid the scary side!!! Posted Image

Seriously, Shelly, I've found nothing but great people on this site. Everyone is friendly, or silent, at least...Posted Image

Have a blast & I'll look forward to meeting you next month. Posted Image

I'm thinking March - after Truk, before Maldives - for the HH.

Definitely March! I don't think I can wait till May!! haha

And Thanks for all of the feedback, Jose (JesterDiver)! I think I'm gonna simma down and hold on till I can meet with some people here and talk to Kamala once things slow down for her.

I can't say this enough.... You guys have been so SO Helpful and I'm Very Grateful for all of the advice provided by everyone! Posted Image

This community is really what I needed to take a big step forward with my life & I really appreciate you guys in making it less scary and Lots more Exciting!! Posted Image

#27 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Let's just say we're in "DIFFERENT" form once we get out of the country...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And I'm pretty sure I can hold my own with you two Posted Image LOL

Yeah - they've been threatening me with their debauchery for awhile now, but I think they're all talk!! Posted Image/> Maybe Jose will come to Arizona sometime and we'll put them to the test!! Posted Image/>

#28 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

What happens overseas stays overseas!Posted Image

Let's just say we're in "DIFFERENT" form once we get out of the country...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Yeah - they've been threatening me with their debauchery for awhile now, but I think they're all talk!! Posted Image/> Maybe Jose will come to Arizona sometime and we'll put them to the test!! Posted Image/>

#29 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

I hope so, I'm rooting for you! Posted Image

Yeah... I got this! Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

When I was in your position, I ended up buying a package with a BCD, Regs and Computer. While the Regs worked great for me for 6 years and as Kamala said are a key piece of life saving equipment, that would be my next thing to get. You have no idea when the rental ones have been serviced last. And that is the key. Keep them serviced regularly and they can last forever.

On my BC, I bought a jacket similar to what I used in training and it just was too bulky for travel, after a couple of years I switched to a Backplate/wing and haven't looked back.

On computers, clearly if you start diving on these SingleDiver trips, try one of the Cochran's before you buy. You mentioned going wireless and I have a setup like that as well, but that can come later. Mine is a wrist mount so nothing dangles. But I still dive with a gauge that came in handy when after 4 years the transmitter suddenly stopped working in the middle of a dive trip.

Keep it simple at first and you can add complexity later as you figure out how often and what type of diving you are going to be doing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users