• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hi from another new member but not new diver

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 IcarusGirl

IcarusGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200-300+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hi, all: Just wanted to introduce myself--I'm Kate from northern NJ. I'm a long-time diver and avid traveler, although I've been high and dry the last 2 years or so (and I think I'll soon break out in hives if I don't get back underwater). Some of my favorite dive spots to date have been the Similan Islands, Zanzibar, Belize, Roatan, Channel Islands, Bonaire, and Malta. If I could just live underwater I think that would be all right. If I could figure out a way to bring my dogs.

I'm pretty recently out of a long-term relationship; being single is mostly ok but losing my dive buddy is a real bummer. I was puttering around the web this afternoon, scheming about when and where I can go diving next, and came across this group. I have never been too inclined to join in group tours, etc., but am trying new things and it's hard to see any downside in spending time with a bunch of people who love diving.

Outside of diving, I am way into music (making it, listening to it, and boogying down to it), and spend far too much time on my consulting business and start-up. One of my new year's resolutions is to ensure I make time for the things that recharge me, and diving is high on that list. I look forward to meeting the members of the group and to doing some great dives with you guys.

#2 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Welcome Aboard!!!

A diver without a regular buddy? You are definitely in the right place!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,655 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hi Kate...we'll be in NJ at the convention center for BTS so you should come by and meet everyone! Better yet help at the show/booth and REALLY learn a lot and meet A WHOLE LOT OF NEW FRIENDS!!! And make sure you join us for our Happy Hour Sat night to meet even more SD.com members! :cool1:

As Keith said you've found the right place... and this group is REALLY FUN!!! No cliques, no emphasis on dating... just people wanting to have a good time AND DIVE!!!

Oh yes and they are in the same boat as you... no buddy and wanting to meet new friends!

We are glad you found us! 2014 is starting off right for you and for us! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hello Kate, and welcome aboard! :hiya: Joe is right, you will find in our membership all levels of experience and certification but with one thing in common, we are all here due to a need for a safe, reliable and amiable dive buddy to share Kamala's great dive trips. :cool2: One things about us though, we are not set up to be nor do we promote ourselves as a dating site (although the occasional romance seems to bud from relationships begun as dive buddies and convivial fellow travelers on trips past). :angel2: In fact our motto, as Kamala likes to say, is that "Our hookups are to tanks!". :respect:

You appear to be both adventurous and savvy, having dived in and introduced yourself with no coaxing. :wavey: We look forward to reading more from and about you around the Forums, and hopefully on an upcoming trip in 2014 or 2015! :diver:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#5 IcarusGirl

IcarusGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!!

Kamala, I would love to help out at the BTS show and/or booth--that would be a great way to jump-start my participation in the group. I live just a few miles from the convention hall, so please do let me know how I can help out. I have been pressed into service for various travel expo's in the past, so I can learn the ropes quickly. Posted Image

Edited by IcarusGirl, 28 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#6 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!!
Kamala, I would love to help out at the BTS show and/or booth--that would be a great way to jump-start my participation in the group. I live just a few miles from the convention hall, so please do let me know how I can help out. I have been pressed into service for various travel expo's in the past, so I can learn the ropes quickly. Posted Image

Here is a link to the event topic, Kate. Just post a reply indicating which days you can help (and be sure to let us know if you will attend the traditional dive show Happy Hour Saturday evening!) :teeth:
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#7 IcarusGirl

IcarusGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, Brad--done! :)

#8 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

AW, YEAH, Kate! You've found the right place! Posted Image

Dig the screen name...

You'll love the trips, the people & the community.

Enjoy!

#9 DiviDivaDiver

DiviDivaDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Logged Dives:270+

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

Hey Kate, Welcome, welcome, welcome to SD! I am also in North Jersey and am always happy to meet another diver from my area since most of my local friends don't dive. I have only been a member for a year and I'll be making my 3rd trip with the group in a couple months. You. Will. Love. It.

Edited by DiviDivaDiver, 28 January 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#10 IcarusGirl

IcarusGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hey guys -- thanks for the greetings!

Another north Jersey diver girl? We need to get a beer and trade stories, DiviDivaDiver! The fact you're making your 3rd trip in a year speaks volumes about the fun factor for the group's dive trips. :) I have no idea how to send a message to someone on this board yet, so if you do, drop me a line. :)

#11 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

:hiya: Kate and :welcome: to Singledivers.com!!!!!! You have found a fabulous website and lots of really fun people/divers. Hope you are on a trip soon so we can all hear about your dive travels!!!! Zanzibar, Malta...... sooooo jealous. You will meet some really great people at the dive show.

#12 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hey there Kate,

Welcome to singledivers! I'm also a north jersey diver and like Suzi, I've been a member for just over a year and I've been on four trips already, how's that for a ringing endorsement!? After my first trip with Kamala I was completely hooked!
The locations are wonderful, the people are fun, and Kamala runs a great trip. I am forever spoiled having her on a dive trip, making sure every detail of the trip is covered and that the experience is as perfect as possible.

Feel free if you have any questions! Oh and to message a member, just look under the persons picture you want to message, you'll see an envelope icon. Just click on it and that's how you send a message. Have fun exploring through the site and hopefully we'll meet on a future trip or BTS!

#13 IcarusGirl

IcarusGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hey, Little Mermaid! Thanks for the welcome. Zanzibar is just gorgeous diving, the only Indian Ocean dives I've done so far. I did one drift dive that was sooo frustrating -- we were moving so fast and there was WAY too much to see. :)

Malta is weird and wonderful; some sites made me feel like I was in a big green valley that had just flooded. You have to be careful to avoid the omnipresent fire worms, but they add a certain Dr. Seuss quality to the environment. :)

#14 IcarusGirl

IcarusGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hey there Kate,

Welcome to singledivers! I'm also a north jersey diver and like Suzi, I've been a member for just over a year and I've been on four trips already, how's that for a ringing endorsement!? After my first trip with Kamala I was completely hooked!
The locations are wonderful, the people are fun, and Kamala runs a great trip. I am forever spoiled having her on a dive trip, making sure every detail of the trip is covered and that the experience is as perfect as possible.

Feel free if you have any questions! Oh and to message a member, just look under the persons picture you want to message, you'll see an envelope icon. Just click on it and that's how you send a message. Have fun exploring through the site and hopefully we'll meet on a future trip or BTS!

Howdy, Jesterdiver! Thanks for the tip re sending a message--I am not seeing an envelope icon, so maybe I need to change a setting on my account. I'll check into that. We should all have a north NJ get-together and swap stories!

I see you recently dove Saba -- how did you like it? I visited there about 3 years ago and loved both the diving and the island. My most recent dive trip was to Montserrat, which was pretty barren of tourism (mostly thanks to the catastrophic volcano eruption they had about 15 years ago) but also had some fabulous dives.

#15 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi Kate!! :welcome: to the site and you've done some splashing about already. As everyone has said there are a boat load of great trips to pick from and many friends to meet and oceans to dive in. the reason you can't PM someone is you are listed as a Member. to use the Message system you need to upgrade to a Premier member for $35 a year. But you get $25 back everytime you take a trip. This keeps the trolls from messaging everyone and mucking up the works. I hope to see on a trip soon and If not I'll meet you in NJ at BTS. come on in the pool's open and the water's fine!!

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users