• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wetsuits for Women

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I believe my next dive gear purchase will be a wetsuit (cause I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to being cold!) I've looked around to see what others like and I'd like to hear from some of the SD folks on what wetsuits they like and why.

Things I'm wanting in my wetsuit: Posted Image
comfort, bendability, & movement
easy to get into (very stretchy)
warmth (I'm wanting a 5mm I believe the 5mm will cover the more tropical water dives I'm interested in. Water temps 70 or higher)
quality

I've been looking at the Henderson H2 Titanium wetsuit. From what I understand this is the new and improved Henderson Hyperstretch? Is that correct? I've read some really good reviews on the Hyperstretch but isn't this the old model?

I'd love to hear what your favorite wetsuit is and why and maybe what you would recommend given the above.

Edited by SassyLilCutie, 31 January 2014 - 06:18 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

You'll have to try on various manufacturers, the Hendersons are a very good high end suit. I like the Waterproof brand. mine has lots of the features you're looking for. but You'll want to balance price and features with the need for a good BC at about the same time.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Not a weenie for not wanting to get cold. Rather a smart move to stay warm as over a long series of dives even in warm water can take its toll on your core body temperature. If anything a beenie or a hood is always a good thing to keep you warm. Then even with a full suit if you have the money a hooded corewarmer might not be a bad thing to pickup

I will echo Jerry's comments. I have a number of henderson wetsuits (1,3,5mm) in the hyperstretch variety and always liked them. The waterproof ones are cut very well for the ladies, almost like a anatomical 2nd skin. Now mind you I have been out of the water for a while now due to a back injury but still keep up on things.

YMMV my .02

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#4 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Speaking of which, the first thing probably to invest in is a skin. It will add another layer and make getting in and out of your suit much easier.

#5 DiviDivaDiver

DiviDivaDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:270+

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

I only recently became aware of the Waterproof brand... Can you tell me why you like the Waterproof better? I have a Henderson hyperstretch 3 mm that is really compressed. I was considering a LavaCore shirt and pants to layer underneath but they are so pricey it might just make sense to replace the suit itself instead. I thought the Henderson was a great suit but my understanding is the more stretchy a suit is the less time it takes to get compressed.

1391211670[/url]' post='315862']
You'll have to try on various manufacturers, the Hendersons are a very good high end suit. I like the Waterproof brand. mine has lots of the features you're looking for. but You'll want to balance price and features with the need for a good BC at about the same time.

#6 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hey Shelly,

Henderson does make a great suit having owned a few over the years. I also am a fan of Waterproof and Fourth Element. Reason I like Waterproof is because it's very flexible at the joints, very stretchy, and I love the seals. It has a double seal system like semi dry suit. The outer neoprene has zippers at the ankles and wrists making it easier to take off. The second inner glide skin seal keeps the water out and mates well with your skin, gloves, and/or boots. Scubapro also makes a good suit.

I've also heard the same thing Suzi has about the stretchier the neoprene the faster it will start to compress and lose it's thermal insulating value. I don't know if that theory has been tested yet and either way can't imagine it shortens the life of a wetsuit by that much. Even if it does, would I rather have a wetsuit that lasts 10 years and I struggle to put on each time or one that lasts 5 years but goes on like a breeze?

Most major wetsuit manufacturers now tout some version of stretchy neoprene. And it will help with putting on and taking off, but most importantly is it will help with fit. It's good that you are finding out which are some favorite brands, but then the absolute key is trying them on and finding that perfect fit.

You want a fit that is form fitting and hugs the contours very closely, especially in different positions. When you put it on, stretch your hands over your heads, see if pockets of air form in spots around the small of your back or anywhere else. You want the suit to stay up close to the skin as you move into different positions. Some space is ok as the purpose of a wetsuit isn't to block out water, rather to trap it and let your body heat warm it up creating a layer of insulated water between you and the neoprene. That's why neck, ankle, and wrists seals mating well with you skin is important, it limits the water "flushing" in and out of your suit exchanging the warm water in your suit for cold water outside your suit thus getting you colder.

If the wetsuit doesn't fit well and you have large pockets of air created as you move around it will act like a pump pulling in cold outside water when the pocket opens and pushing out warmed up water as the pocket collapses. So fit is absolutely the most important thing. Then make sure the seals around the neck, ankle, and wrist are flush even when in different position. Pay careful attention to the neck seal as sometimes it can pucker open a bit when your arms are raised over your head or even when tilting back your head. That of course would let colder water to rush in. and cool you down.

Also agree with George that a dive skin comes in handy as it makes putting on and taking off of a wetsuit much easier. I get cold easy too (Go Team Warm Water Wussies!!) so I wear a lavacore base layer under my wetsuit so that gives the same result as a dive skin in terms of putting on a wetsuit.

Lastly, look at the seams, the major brands like the ones that were listed so far in this thread all have very good seams. You are usually looking for some kind of blind stitched or flat lock stitching, ideally either taped over or "welded" over so that the threads of the stitchign don't dig into you skin and leaving tracks all over you. And more importantly, good seams mean less chance of water seeping through the seams and contributing to "flushing" and decreased thermal protection.

You'll do great with any of the wetsuits listed and there are I'm sure several other very good brands. Avoid surface water sport specific wetsuits like surfing ones because some of them are not optimally designed for diving. Ultimately, its all about the fit.

I could make specific recommendations in terms of best fit for women, but then I'd have to explain how I know that information and I'm not going down that road :lmao:/>!

#7 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image
I'll have to chime in and say that I'm VERY happy with the lava core pants and shirt that I purchased. (I think I have the same set as Jose) As Jose mentioned the lava core or a skin makes putting a wetsuit on and off much easier. The difference with the lava core and a skin is that the lava core will provide thermal benefit where a skin is really just that. No significant thermal properties. The lava core unlike a wet suit will NOT add buoyancy to your body so the benefit is that you could wear a 3mm wetsuit, add the lava core and have the equivalent of a 5-6mm wet suit without the additional buoyancy.

To prove my point about how it helps with warmth and getting on a wet suit I even wore the lava core in Lake Michigan under a 7mm Gold Core Hendersen (Farmer John Style) suit. It was a bit tight and restrictive (just being a 7mm will do that) but the lava core made putting it on SOOOO much easier than it was without and it definitely helped in the 50 degree water that I experienced on that dive. Brrrrrr. That dive was at the end of Sept too.

What I will say is that once you decide which wet suit fits the best my opinion is to try to get the best you can afford but as has been said it's not only about price. Fit is really the most important. Best option would be to head to a dive shop and just try on suits without regard to pricing and see which one fits so that your not biasing your opinion based on price. Then from there determine which one you can actually get.

Good luck!

#8 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

The Waterproof suits are cut very anatomically correct. When hanging on a hanger you can tell the women from the men’s suits at a glance. They have wrist, ankle and a short front neck zipper. Inside the wrists and ankles have a thin cone seal to keep water movement to a minimum. The knees and elbows are pre-curved and have flexible panels in the correct places. Double blind stitching, and glued seams throughout plus molded on knee and shin pads. They will have a booth at BTS and you should to go over and have a look at the show. GunnaBdiver? Has one and loves it. We think her sister was impressed and bought one too.

I only recently became aware of the Waterproof brand... Can you tell me why you like the Waterproof better? I have a Henderson hyperstretch 3 mm that is really compressed. I was considering a LavaCore shirt and pants to layer underneath but they are so pricey it might just make sense to replace the suit itself instead. I thought the Henderson was a great suit but my understanding is the more stretchy a suit is the less time it takes to get compressed.

1391211670[/url]' post='315862']

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#9 DiviDivaDiver

DiviDivaDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Logged Dives:270+

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

I probably would have just gotten another Henderson without looking at other brands. It sounds like Waterproof is a serious contender for women from what you guys have written so I will check that out. Also: I got a chance to try out LavaCore under my 3mm in Saba and it REALLY helped. I would have been cold the last couple days without it. My LDS told me they didn't have thermal properties and tried to sell me something different. Now I know better! Thanks everyone, this was really helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Speaking of which, the first thing probably to invest in is a skin. It will add another layer and make getting in and out of your suit much easier.

YES all wetsuits fit better with a skin. I was working on a deal to have custom skins made for SD but has to wait until after the website improvement goals AND of course posting the rest of 2014 trips and start 2015 trips!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I probably would have just gotten another Henderson without looking at other brands. It sounds like Waterproof is a serious contender for women from what you guys have written so I will check that out.

Looks like another possible partner in the making... I'll have to reach out to them. :thankyou:

Also: I got a chance to try out LavaCore under my 3mm in Saba and it REALLY helped. I would have been cold the last couple days without it. My LDS told me they didn't have thermal properties and tried to sell me something different. Now I know better! Thanks everyone, this was really helpful!

Keep in mind that dive shops want to sell what they offer... that is FINE but they can't offer everything even products that are good and they can't know about everything...even products that are good. THAT IS WHY THIS SITE IS SO INVALUABLE!!! And of course the reason that we form corporate partnerships with the best of the best!!! (A dive shop can't do that due to the way the dive industry offers exclusive dealerships meaning if someone already sells the brand in your area...you can't sell it even if you want to. This is why you should never interfere with free market competition but alas I regress and this is NOT a topic for this thread.)

So ALWAYS support your local dive shop (without them we'd not have a diving business) but understand that they can't offer everything and neither can we for that matter so reaching out to others is a GREAT way to extend your knowledge base AND possibly save lots of money finding what you REALLY need.

As for LavaCore...they ARE a corporate partner and THEY don't weigh much but add LOTS OF WARMTH without adding bouyancy. And they are great to add to your EXISTING wet suit to extend its thermal properties or just wear alone.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#12 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

YES all wetsuits fit better with a skin. I was working on a deal to have custom skins made for SD but has to wait until after the website improvement goals AND of course posting the rest of 2014 trips and start 2015 trips!

Lots of good info! Great! That's exactly what I was looking for! Keep going with it! I've already heard of some options/brands that I didn't know anything about before.

Kamala, is a skin the same things as a full body rash guard? If so, I have one of those.
Posted Image

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Yes a skin is an all lycra suit or full body rash guard that protects your skin from rashes, chafing, brushing up against fire coral or other stinging sea creatures AND HELPS YOU SLIDE INTO YOUR WET SUIT!!! And provides sun protection too!

formerly...

#14 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Yes a skin is an all lycra suit or full body rash guard that protects your skin from rashes, chafing, brushing up against fire coral or other stinging sea creatures AND HELPS YOU SLIDE INTO YOUR WET SUIT!!! And provides sun protection too!

Well then, CHECK on that one cause I got one for Christmas. Posted Image Woot Woot!
Posted Image

#15 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

I probably would have just gotten another Henderson without looking at other brands. It sounds like Waterproof is a serious contender for women from what you guys have written so I will check that out. Also: I got a chance to try out LavaCore under my 3mm in Saba and it REALLY helped. I would have been cold the last couple days without it. My LDS told me they didn't have thermal properties and tried to sell me something different. Now I know better! Thanks everyone, this was really helpful!

Proof again it pays to investigate every topic; much like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. :cool2: (Well, except for the sticky fingers and tummy ache from overindulging, but maaaaybe that's just me.) :o

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad the Tapatalk is working for you Suzi! :cool1:
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users