• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wetsuits for Women

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 DiviDivaDiver

DiviDivaDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:270+

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

YES, but if it's for CHOCOLATE the sticky fingers and tummy ache are TOTALLY worth it. Thanks for your help with the tapatalk. :-)

I probably would have just gotten another Henderson without looking at other brands. It sounds like Waterproof is a serious contender for women from what you guys have written so I will check that out. Also: I got a chance to try out LavaCore under my 3mm in Saba and it REALLY helped. I would have been cold the last couple days without it. My LDS told me they didn't have thermal properties and tried to sell me something different. Now I know better! Thanks everyone, this was really helpful!

Proof again it pays to investigate every topic; much like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Posted Image (Well, except for the sticky fingers and tummy ache from overindulging, but maaaaybe that's just me.) Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad the Tapatalk is working for you Suzi! Posted Image

#17 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

What about the hoods? Do many of you use the hoods often? If so, do you use the hoods with a vest or just the hood itself?
Posted Image

#18 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

I have a hooded vest that I almost always pack no matter where I go. I mix and match my wetsuits for varying conditions. The biggest advantage with the hooded vest is that you will not get cool water down your neck as you do with just a plain hood. My hooded vest is a 5mm hood attached to a 3mm vest. It is also extra stretchy so it is very comfortable. I can and have worn this with, just swim shorts, my 2mm shorty, my 3mm full suit, and my 7mm full suit. It is quite versatile and takes up little room in my suitcase!

Keith

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#19 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I agree with MNJoe, I also have a 3mm hooded vest and comes in handy as a layering option if I get chilly toward the end of a week of diving or if the water is just on the colder side. Since you're thinking of getting a 5mm wetsuit, I'ld suggest a 3mm vest/hood which comes out to 8mm of neoprene over your core. Layering of neoprene is key.

I also have a standalone lavacore hood too. I mainly use it when night diving to give me a little extra protection from little jellyfish stings and to get that extra warmth on cooler nights.

#20 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

What about the hoods? Do many of you use the hoods often? If so, do you use the hoods with a vest or just the hood itself?

I have both. Since most of your heat loss comes through your head, they are a good idea if you get cold. I also know that for women with long hair that tends to get snarled up in your 1st stage, its worth it just for that even if you don't need the thermal protection. I usually cover my head with a Scuba du rag, just to prevent sunburn, but I know women who use those to put their hair up also.

#21 DiviDivaDiver

DiviDivaDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:270+

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

I use a thin detached hood for protection from jellyfish and to control my hair. I've used it forever and cannot imagine diving without it. Now that I am diving a greater number of repetitive dives I will likely move up to a 3mm for warmth.

1391710064[/url]' post='316074']

#22 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

I keep a beanie in my dive bag. If I'm doing 2-3 dives a day, I usually go without it. More than that and my ears get cold which leads to them getting sore and irritated.

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

Can't stand the hood attached to the vest...too claustraphobic so have a lightweight lava core hood for warmth and comfort. Its light and wonderful!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

Hmmm lots of different opinions on the hood BUT does seem like it's a necessary thing to have in one way or another! I'll have to try out a few of the suggestions here and figure out what I like best, I suppose.

I was also thinking about it for keeping my hair back since I have long hair and I've already found out that it's impossible to keep it all together! Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

Start off with a thin one i.e. lycra hood from say lavacore (one of our partners...you can use mine on a trip first if you like) and then add a thicker one if needed for add'l warmth. I am a huge wuss but I find the lavacore keeps me PLENTY warm. I do have a thicker hood but rarely use it as the lavacore does it all for me 99% of the time! And its lighter for packing too!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#26 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Start off with a thin one i.e. lycra hood from say lavacore (one of our partners...you can use mine on a trip first if you like) and then add a thicker one if needed for add'l warmth. I am a huge wuss but I find the lavacore keeps me PLENTY warm. I do have a thicker hood but rarely use it as the lavacore does it all for me 99% of the time! And its lighter for packing too!

Kamala,
Do we get a special deal on Lavacore, being that they are one of our partners? I took a look at the hooded long sleeve shirt on their website and it's $139.
Posted Image

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Yes we do get special pricing! I can't post it publically but can let you know via email! But hopefully it can wait :pray: until I get back from Truk and Palua! :thankyou:

formerly...

#28 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Yes we do get special pricing! I can't post it publically but can let you know via email! But hopefully it can wait Posted Image until I get back from Truk and Palua! Posted Image

Absolutely, it can! Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

I went to a couple of dive shops today to try on some wetsuits to see how they felt AND to see how easy they were to get into. I took my own skin to make it a tad easier also.

First, I tried the LavaCore Hooded long sleeve top and let me just say, the inside of that feels AWESOME! I did notice that their sizes run incredibly small! I had to go up 2 sizes. But very warm and comfy!

I then tried on a Henderson H2 Titanium which was very easy to get into. Problem was that they didn't have my size but just the size above mine and they were on clearance and getting rid of them. The guy at the shop told me that the 'upgrade' or next gen of that suit was the XSPAN Neo Sport wet suit. It is a lot cheaper than the H2 Titanium but it's made by the same company. I wonder if anyone has ever worn one of the XSPAN Neo Sport wetsuits and if so, what did you think about it? It's made by Henderson from what I understand but under the Neo Sport brand.
Posted Image

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

How much bigger was the clearance suit? If you layer i.e. say lavacore under it or a vest...the next size may in fact be the right size for you.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users