• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The History of Open Water Training

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 18 November 2004 - 03:29 PM

Regarding training, here is a short history of how scuba training began in the United States for those interested:

Frenchmen, Captain Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Emile Gagnan, combined an improved demand regulator with a high pressure air tank (from an earlier design by another French naval officer named LePrieur) and created the first truly efficient open circuit scuba system capable of performing to depths of approximately 180 feet in France in 1943 while under German occupation during WW II.

After the war, Cousteau patented the design and it began to be sold worldwide. You could easily get one from Sears the same way you could purchase a toaster and both would come with instruction booklets. Buy one. Read the book. Go diving. Fortunately, the majority of the people doing that were highly physically fit, former military or commercial divers, lifeguards, surfers, freedivers/spearos, scientists or others with lots of watermanship skills or who knew those already diving and were taught by them.

Side note: The earliest ascent rate was 60 feet per minute. Today it is 30 feet per minute. Why? The 60 feet per minute ascent rate came about because the U.S. Navy divers employing scuba wanted to ascend at 120 feet per minute because that was a comfortable swim speed. The Navy tenders wanted to hoist their hard hat divers at 30 feet per minute because that was a comfortable cranking speed. So, the Navy wanted one set of tables and one speed for both types of divers and they compromised on 60 feet per minute. Years of sport divers suffering DCS led to more research thanks to the combined efforts of the agencies, DAN, U.S., British and Canadian navies and others to discover that safety stops and 30 feet per minute ascent rates make diving safer. However, current research is showing that deep stops makes diving even more safe and I'm sure that will be the future training trend in recreational diving.

Another side note: The 130 feet sport diving limit is a carry over from the days when the U.S. Navy discovered that the Cousteau/Gagnan regulator experienced some decreased performance and decided that would be the depth limit for scuba operations after which surface supplied hard hat divers would be deployed.

Interest began to grow in sport diving and as a result Al Tillman created the first organized scuba courses in 1954 for L.A. County and the first instructor course called the Underwater Instructor's Certification Course or UICC. Both programs oly existed in L.A. County. There was a need for a national program so the Council for National Cooperation in Aquatics was formed and put a program in the works for the YMCA. The YMCA had long been teaching swimming so it became the ideal organization to add scuba training on a national scale. Today, the YMCA is the official CMAS affiliate in the U.S.A. CMAS is a world federation dedicated to overseeing scuba training. CMAS seeks to ensure higher standards and assign equivalency ratings between the various certification agencies worldwide since various agencies have different standards, but it has become incredibly political and other agencies that were once CMAS such as PDIC in the US and BSAC in the UK fell into disfavor. CMAS also used to oversee a lot of freediving training and competitions, but AIDA has taken over the competitive role.

While the YMCA program was being developed, All Tilmann and Niel Hess recruited instructors through Skin Diver magazine. Divers sent in outlines for training and if approved they became members of the National Diving Patrol. No official training was needed to be an instructor. Just a sane outline and teaching philosophy. In 1960, the NDP changed its name to the National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI).

Note: Around the same time, the single hose regulator was developed.

John Gaffney recognized that for the sport of diving to grow what was needed was to make it more available to people. He wanted instructors to be trained to instruct, divers to be trained better, equipment to be sold and serviced through retail facilities, and clean air fills to be available. In 1962 he created the National Association of Skin Diving Schools which later became the National Association of Scuba Diving Schools and formed an association of retail/service dive stores. He also hired former Navy diving instructors to teach divers how to instruct at a facility in California he called the Professional Diving Instructors College. NASDS was the first agency to require many of the safety items we take for granted today such as SPGs, BCDs, and additional second stages to be implemented. In the 1970s the college broke away and became the Professional Diving Instructors Corporation (PDIC). NASDS was purchased by Scuba Schools Interational (SSI) just a few years ago.

By the late 1960s, television shows such as Sea Hunt, Flipper, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and movies like "Thunderball" and "Daring Game" created a huge public interest in scuba diving. While these new divers were adventurous in spirit, they lacked the water skills the earlier breed of divers had. A new type of training was needed to make diving available to these new underwater adventurers. In 1967, PADI began to meet this demand. At the same time, PADI realized that because of the large numbers of divers/instructors who were in the military and stationed overseas, it had the chance to expand globally and bring the sport of diving to nations that didn't have adequate or existing scuba training and began to expand itself through military bases.

With new divers with less water skills taking up the sport, what was needed was more water time for students. Sea Trek International became the first organization to require a minimum of 8 open water dives. But, while agencies such as STI appeared and failed,travel to warm water areas became the more popular place to dive. Calm conditions and equipment innovations have made diving less arduous and more available to more people and larger age groups. PADI flourished thanks to the combination of global marketing, less militant training, advances in gear and the diving dollars of the average diver who no longer is a Mark Spitz or a fictional Mike Nelson nor wants to be treated as such.

Or... do they?

While the average diver was enjoying the reefs and wrecks of Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Bonaire, and Roatan there was still a small group of divers keeping things kind of hush hush diving air down to the maximum limits of narcosis to explore wrecks and caves. Many of these were the pioneers of the sport going back to the 60s, 70s and in some cases the 50s and the 40s. They had aged somewhat and were no longer the aqua endurance machines they once were, but the innovations in equipment allowed them to go deeper and stay longer than they had in their youth. Their pioneer spirit was still alive and under the table and in secretive meetings away from the normal agencies they had been gaining access to mixed gases and various tables. Just like when they started teaching diving in the first place to small pockets of friends, these pioneers began to teach the use of mixed gases and multiple cylinders to their students and friends.

"Technical Diving" was born when Mike Menundo coined the term in an issue of Aquacorps magazine. The divers who engaged in this activity were brought back into a philosophy of solid water skills, solid rescue skills, and rigorous training. However, deaths mounted as divers pushed the limits of their equipment and gases like test pilots to discover what these limits were. Information was slow to make its way around the technical community until the mainstream use of the internet. But, the arguing began as one group found one way to do something and lashed out at other groups who were doing something else. Deaths were blamed on everyone and fueled by America's love affair with the law over common sense many fingers were pointed and court battles ensued. Court battles were also being fought to dive gases, dive certain wrecks like Gary Gentile's victory to dive the USS Monitor in 240 feet on trimix against the US Government, and between recreational agencies and technical agencies. DEMA blacklisted these tech groups at one point. Disinformation abounded. Guys such as Tom Mount and Brett Gilliam formed the International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers (IANTD) and Technical Diving International (TDI) respectively. I forget who formed ANDI.

The recreational agencies panicked. The last thing they needed was competition in an otherwise dwindling diving market. But, the bastard children were out in the open so to speak. It was verbally decided that the technical agencies would teach their niche and the recreational agencies would teach theirs. OW - Instructor at the recreational level and deep air - trimix instructor at the technical level. But, something happened... nitrox the death gas turned out to be a good idea! The recreational agencies realized it was simple to use and to teach... um... recreationally.

All of a sudden 32%, EAN 32, Nitrox I, NOAA Nitrox I, NN-I and 36%, EAN 36, Nitrox II, NOAA Nitrox II, NN-II became available at local dive centers.

BOOM! This resulted in the technical agencies deciding to teach at the recreational level level like Scuba Diving International (SDI) coming from TDI and then recreational agencies going to techical diving with NAUI Tech and PADI DSAT.

The problem now is that the average diver, who would never have thought of going to 300+ feet while enjoying a Peter Hughes' luxury vacation has an ego that cannot be left behind. So, just as James bond looked cool diving 40 feet down in the Bahamas in 1967, those tech guys look really cool today and everyone wants to emerge from the water with tales of epic decompressions, multiple bottles, and be able to pee a bit farther than the other guy.

This means that dive pros like myself have to dive deeper and stay longer, invest far more money than we get paid in lots of expensive toys and even more expensive training, spend all of our free time in decompression just so we can validate our instructor cards and experience thereby keeping our jobs. But, for those of us with the water skills (because we actually spend a lot of our time there rather than in an office) we're losing ground to those who do live in offices and dive on the side, because they have the money to blow on gear, cards and become less qualified tech instructors than those of us who are impoverished lifeguards, surfers, divers, and water jocks with thin waistlines and who can swim 500 yards in less than 7 minutes, 4000 yards through heavy surf, have lots of experience with making rescues and crewing on boats, but who can't afford trimix!

So, we're back to 1967 and an agency will have to be created to water down tech diving this time for the general public... who needs to tip DMs more money so we can afford to keep our jobs by the way! :evilgrin:

Next installment... the history of cave diving! :wow:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#2 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 18 November 2004 - 03:53 PM

Nice post Trace! (-;
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#3 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:49 PM

Great history lesson ... thanks for sharing!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#4 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 November 2004 - 06:05 PM

Our very own Reader's Digest writer! Thanks, Trace! :wavey:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#5 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:29 PM

Thanks and you're welcome folks!

I just want to take the opportunity right now to tell the recreational divers not to be impressed by technical divers or be afraid of them. Technical divers are often the same nerdy computer, science, math, or A/V club kids who were shoved in lockers, dunked in toilets, went to the prom with a friend and fantasized about Agent Scully naked.

For them, it is really cool to talk about gas switches and decompression schedules the same way it was to talk about physics back in high school or college. But, now that computer job allows them to buy digital camera housings for their scooters, trimix for their tanks and for the first time get to experience that rapture of victory that football teams and cheerleading A squads understand.

Unfortunately, lazy bums like myself who got into this gig in the first place because they just wanted to sit on some dive boat off the coast of St. Somewhere and plot ways to get a Swedish bikini model out of her designer suit while comparing the benefits of that to the eternal damnation which would one day occur if successful in that venture, are now forced into laborious diving practices and into deep cold water with women who look more like heroines of the Bolshevik Revolution than they do Swedish models. This is by far the single most heinous crime any dive pro should endure!

But, it's not too late. Only you can prevent other lazy @$$ed bums from having to work for a living and having to adapt to too many technologies. Use your diving dollars wisely.

As consumers you can: 1) Support your local DMs! 2) Buy AIR! 3) Ask to dive shallow sites!

Power to the people, man! Peace!

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 November 2004 - 08:59 AM

And I smile at how many dive operators were reluctant to accept my 1960's Los Angeles County certification. If only they knew! It is still one of the best certification programs around.

Dr. Bill

#7 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:28 AM

And I smile at how many dive operators were reluctant to accept my 1960's Los Angeles County certification. If only they knew! It is still one of the best certification programs around.

Bill I took a look at your website and saw your card, it looked like it was signed by a Ron somebody, could not read the last name, care to share that with me?

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 19 November 2004 - 10:32 AM

Unfortunately, lazy bums like myself who got into this gig in the first place because they just wanted to sit on some dive boat off the coast of St. Somewhere and plot ways to get a Swedish bikini model out of her designer suit while comparing the benefits of that to the eternal damnation which would one day occur if successful in that venture, are now forced into laborious diving practices and into deep cold water with women who look more like heroines of the Bolshevik Revolution than they do Swedish models. This is by far the single most heinous crime any dive pro should endure!

Heard from many cold water divers...

"This doubles rig... You vant that I bench press?.... "

You wouldn't know anyone like that would you? Certainly no members of the female persuasion. C'mon, I though that a requirement to be a diver in cold water be that they be able to lift double tanks with one hand and be built like a battleship. (If it was, I could dive cold water either, but that it beside the point..)
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 November 2004 - 10:41 AM

Hey Trace baby....you really can be saved from the "Dark Side"!! WOO!!! HOO!!! :cool2:

Now repeat after me...."All my dives do not need to be DEEP". "All my dives do not need to be DARK". "All my dives do not need to be TECH". "All my dives do not need to be in a TEAM".

You too can do some recreational diving and still enjoy the sport! Ok...so maybe we'll let you do some more techie recreational diving. Now if you need a good destination to try out the new 'softer' side of Trace....just pick any SD trip and come and join us!

P.S. Want a great perk...these trips have LOTS of great women on them!

And just in case you can't break out of the super geek diving mode...we have NC and N.Wrecks Diving trips just for people like you!

And they are just for people like me....those who still call themselves recreational divers but who now use nitrox, carry a pony bottle and can use it, and have occassionally had some very long ...er...safety stops!! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:56 PM

Trace,

That was a very enjoyable and enlightening read. Thanks.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#11 texasmermaid

texasmermaid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:158

Posted 19 November 2004 - 10:51 PM

Trace,

That was a very enjoyable and enlightening read.  Thanks.

Yeah! what he said...

:welcome: for the interesting post!

Jennifer
I tried to contain myself, but I escaped!

#12 nikk

nikk

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:cmas 3*
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:50 AM

Great job Trace! I am eagerly looking out for the next thrilling instalment :D
WWW (Warm Water Wuss.....AND PROUD OF IT!!!)

#13 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:27 AM

day occur if successful in that venture, are now forced into laborious diving practices and into deep cold water with women who look more like heroines of the Bolshevik Revolution than they do Swedish models. This is by far the single most heinous crime any dive pro should endure!

Hey now -- not all tech dive chicks look like "heroines of the Bolshevik Revolution" -- just because I carry my own doubles and sometimes my gear with deco bottles/light etc added in outweighs me. I never complain about it -- hell I even do it with a smile on my face!

Now don't even start in on my 1/4 Russian heritage!!! Don't want to bring out the Irish temper! (-;
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#14 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:46 AM

day occur if successful in that venture, are now forced into laborious diving practices and into deep cold water with women who look more like heroines of the Bolshevik Revolution than they do Swedish models. This is by far the single most heinous crime any dive pro should endure!

Hey now -- not all tech dive chicks look like "heroines of the Bolshevik Revolution" -- just because I carry my own doubles and sometimes my gear with deco bottles/light etc added in outweighs me. I never complain about it -- hell I even do it with a smile on my face!

Now don't even start in on my 1/4 Russian heritage!!! Don't want to bring out the Irish temper! (-;

You must rememer Trace's locale. One of the more famous dive boats in the area is known for the women on board that have the appearance of the East Geman Women's weightlifting team rather than the women that are seen here. You know that it is bad when word of that dive boat is heard in my neck of the woods, too :teeth:. Of course, I have to endure the comments of Great Lakes Gorilla when my knuckles have yet to reach the ground and my gear probably comes close to out weighing me as well. Gee, that hurts feelings :teeth: .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:59 AM

That wasn't a compliment? The most beautiful woman I've ever seen was from Siberia. She is not an isolated case.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users