• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The History of Open Water Training

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:02 AM

That wasn't a compliment?  The most beautiful woman I've ever seen was from Siberia.  She is not an isolated case.

I have seen many of that realm, too. I won't say where the most beautiful women that I have seen (in general) resided in my travels, as I don't wish to offend the other women here. :) Hell hath no fury like... (and all that). :teeth:

Gee, I am still single, too. So the possibility exists that I may start dating some lady that met here. I can't imagine the loss of "credits" that would have to be repaid if someone felt insulted by exclusion.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:15 AM

Brian,

There are, of course, beautiful women in other places as well. You also twisted my words.

I won't say where the most beautiful women that I have seen (in general) resided in my travels, as I don't wish to offend the other women here.

I never said, "most beautiful women." I said, "most beautiful woman."

My point is comparing a group of women to Russian women is a compliment of the highest order to that group of women. Anyone who thinks otherwise is still a victim of cold war propaganda.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

Brian,

There are, of course, beautiful women in other places as well. You also twisted my words.

I won't say where the most beautiful women that I have seen (in general) resided in my travels, as I don't wish to offend the other women here.

I never said, "most beautiful women." I said, "most beautiful woman."

My point is comparing a group of women to Russian women is a compliment of the highest order to that group of women. Anyone who thinks otherwise is still a victim of cold war propaganda.

Walter,

LOL... I'm not a victim of cold war propaganda. I'm a victim of northeast lifeguarding. We have a lot of Russians in the Poconos and New York City. During the summer one of our beaches that I guard has become predominantly Russian. Many of the native New Yorkers dislike them, but as a lifeguard, I get far more respect and cooperation from the Russians than I do New Yorkers. I love the Russians. However, I have yet to see one single Russian woman in the past 3 years that is even remotely as attractive as any who were on the Russian Olympic team.

Anyway, when the "No Opportunity Wasted" reality show was soliciting people to submit ideas for what they'd do with something like $3000, 3 days and a dream or whatever it is, we male lifeguards were thinking about sending in video of our beach covered with scantilly clad "stereotypical" (it's all we have) Russian women and say that with our time & money we want to go lifeguard a party at the Playboy Mansion for relief. But, we would have gotten in trouble if our video clips aired.

I dated a Russian flight attendant who was super skinny and beautiful, but no one like that exists on our beach :cool1:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#19 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:13 PM

Sorry - what DOES "LOL" mean?

#20 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

LOL - Laughing out loud
LMAO - Laughing my ass off
ROTFLMAO - Rolling on the floor LMAO

#21 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 27 November 2004 - 06:37 PM

Ahem. (sound of foot tapping)

Next installment... the history of cave diving!

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#22 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:51 AM

Trace again, great post. A bit abridged, but I recommend anyone interested in diving history to pick up Scuba America and join the Historical Diving Society. They have a wealth of resources on the history of diving.

The first dive on the west coast on scuba was at Point Dume in Malibu in 47. Cousteau brought out three units to leave at the store by UCLA. At least on the Aqua Lung.

Michael coined the term technical diving, but Billy Deans deserves influence and a great deal of the credit. Michael lived down the street from Billy's shop and dived with him

Also, diving on the Monitor at 240, well really 230 for practical purposes was done on air not trimix. NOAA would not allow trimix for the several years of the projects. All of the early work was done on air. I do not remember the first year mix was used. I think 96 or 97. So much for air being evil beyond 100 feet. A lot of good work was done on air for year on that project. Not the best choice, but what was considered safe at the time. Whole different topic.

But, the cool thing about diving is that is involves so much history that so many seem to think never happened. It also involves so many cool aspects of life and disciplines of science of all kinds.

G2

#23 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:13 PM

Awesome, as usual guys, thanks! I keep looking for Caverns Measureless To Man but haven't found it in my travels yet (just not a fan of ordering on line)
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#24 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

I don't understand where the argument about the most beautiful women came in on a thread about the history of dive instructor (go LAC!!). Why the most beautiful women are the ones in my imagination!!

Dr. Bill
just being himself

#25 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:12 PM

I don't understand where the argument about the most beautiful women came in on a thread about the history of dive instructor (go LAC!!). Why the most beautiful women are the ones in my imagination!!

Dr. Bill
just being himself

He's right, folks! Speaking as a figment, I can attest that Playboy has nothing on what goes on in there. :teeth:
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#26 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:26 PM

Strictly visual, aren't you guys?
Marvel

Posted Image

#27 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:33 PM

I can't speak for others, but for me visual is merely a small part of the experience.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#28 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:53 PM

LIVE SHALLOW! But, DIVE DEEP!

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#29 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Dr. Bill
just being himself

He's right, folks! Speaking as a figment, I can attest that Playboy has nothing on what goes on in there. :teeth:

I used to work down the street from the Playboy building in Bevery Hills and a good friend of mine used to be Director of Playmate Promotions (tell me THAT isn't the greatest job in the whole world) and on occasion I would go visit her for lunch. I can tell you that most of the women don't really look like they do in the mag ... it was kinda disillusioning to me. Some, however, are WAY hotter! I mean .... WAY hotter.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#30 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:08 PM

Strictly visual, aren't you guys?

Guilty as charged.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users