• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2016-01/02: JAN 24-FEB 4 and FEB 6-13 RAJA AMPAT BACK-TO-BACK TRIPS OPEN FOR BOOKING!

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

I probably will!  Have had some family matters take me offline but getting back in the groove this week. I will have info on options for early arrival and routings etc.by tomorrow.

• poppi likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#62 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor / Trimix / Sidemount / Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:800+

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

Do we know what the boat schedule will be for the trips? More specifically -- Will we be able to fly out on the last day of the trip (13 Feb, in my case)? Unfortunately it looks like I will have to beat a hasty exit from Indonesia after the trip is over!

Previous Raja Ampat trips I've been on have been scheduled to support morning flights out of SOQ, which generally entails motoring into the port of Sorong overnight ... Please confirm if this will be the case.

Otherwise, I can make a couple of hotel recommendations for people who are planning on spending a night (or more?) in Sorong before / between / after the trip(s)!   :)

Edited by Elias, 02 October 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#63 poppi

poppi

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

Elias, I've never been to Raja Ampat before so I'm trying to figure out how and when to get there. Where should I fly into...Bali then on to Sorong? Is it worth staying in Sorong a couple days afterwards?

Kamala is supposed to be posting some details but I need to start working on flights soon. I'm considering flying into Bali a few days early.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Poppi

#64 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

Elias, I've never been to Raja Ampat before so I'm trying to figure out how and when to get there. Where should I fly into...Bali then on to Sorong? Is it worth staying in Sorong a couple days afterwards?

Kamala is supposed to be posting some details but I need to start working on flights soon. I'm considering flying into Bali a few days early.

Poppi --

If you have never been before and only have a few extra days then, yes, Bali (DPS) is probably the best option. Let me know if you want some recommendations for spending a few days there.   :)

Everyone else --

If you have already been to Bali too many times (really? is this even possible?), then Manado (MDC) offers another international airport. MDC is closer to Sorong (SOQ) than Denpasar (DPS) and there are direct flights available, albeit with reduced schedules and carriers than from DPS. Around Manado you have the Bunaken Marine Park and the Lembeh Straight, as well as a number of land-based tourist activities, so pre- or post-trip diving, etc. is easily accommodated.

Until new runways are opened, MDC only accommodates mid-range jets and the last time I was there the only international connections were via Singapore (Silk Air) and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysian Air). Unfortunately, Malaysian Air has discontinued this route since then. Wikipedia lists Cebgo as providing a connection to Manila but I couldn't find this route on their web site. Supposedly there is a Chinese operator offering a connection to / from Haikou but their web site is in Chinese... So this kind of leaves Singapore as the only routing option if you want to enter Indonesia via MDC.

Jakarta (CGK) is a third way into the country with generally similar connections to SOQ as from DPS, essentially via Makassar (UPG), but fewer (or should I simply say "different") options for enjoying an extended layover. When coming into Indonesia via CGK and assuming time allows, an interesting alternate route to / from SOQ is through Ambon (AMQ). This opens up the Southern Maluku Islands for side trips but this is not for the faint of heart as this part of the country gets pretty remote rather quickly. Garuda offers direct flights between AMQ and SOQ four times per week, while the budget carrier Wings makes daily commuter flights on the same route for like $40 (although you really do get what you pay for and your dive gear may well need it's own ticket ...).

Edited by Elias, 06 October 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#65 poppi

poppi

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Elias, Is it worth staying in Sorong a few extra days?

#66 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:58 AM

I am about to board a flight but have info which I will post during my next airport break. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#67 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

Poppi

Don't know if this will be much help to you. First trip, Oct 2008, Sorong was definitely a 'third world' city, dirt streets with more pot holes than a Texas ranch road, baggage claim was an old roller conveyor which brought bags inside thru a hole in the wall. Second trip, Feb-Mar 2013, main roads had been paved, and city was definitely growing at good rate. Recently looked at hotels listed on Trip Advisor, a number of what appeared to be new hotels are listed. No doubt the number of divers travelling through has had a positive affect on the city. Personally, I didn't stay in Sorong before or after either of my trips. Sorong is a port city, trans-shipping oil & mining equipment to other parts of West Papua.

Here's the official Raja Ampat website, maybe it will have the information you seek. Sorry, I wasn't more help.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#68 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

As if y'all aren't already psyched for this trip

Watch

Bill

• Elias likes this

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#69 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Elias, Is it worth staying in Sorong a few extra days?

[...] Oct 2008, Sorong was definitely a 'third world' city, dirt streets with more pot holes than a Texas ranch road, baggage claim was an old roller conveyor which brought bags inside thru a hole in the wall. [...] Feb-Mar 2013, main roads had been paved, and city was definitely growing at good rate. [...] Sorong is a port city, trans-shipping oil & mining equipment to other parts of West Papua.

Aye, what Bill said, Sorong is primarily a port city with little else to offer the casual tourist beyond an airport. There is a nightclub of sorts and a few restaurants ...

The cities in this part of the world aren't really connected by roads, so getting out of Sorong and around West Papua, Papua and PNG is really a matter left for airplanes and boats. A couple / few days isn't really enough time to explore the other interesting things in the region (i.e., getting to Papua for the Baliem Valley or Lorentz National Park).

I would strongly recommend spending any extra days exploring Bali / Lombok / North Sulawesi /Java. Or possibly even the Malukus / East Nusa Tenggara (Komodo, Flores and Alor Islands) if you have enough time.

BTW, Bill, as of April the Sorong airport was still using that same charming roller conveyor through a hole in the wall ...   ;)

Edited by Elias, 08 October 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#70 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

The cities in this part of the world aren't really connected by roads, so getting out of Sorong and around West Papua, Papua and PNG is really a matter left for airplanes and boats. A couple / few days isn't really enough time to explore the other interesting things in the region (i.e., getting to Papua for the Baliem Valley or Lorentz National Park).

You definitely don't want to wonder too deep into the jungles of West Papua. I believe they're still under tribal rule which goes back for millennia. It's not unusual to settle their differences with oil & mining companies by holding the manager for ransom. Remember the tribes were the original inventors of the 'hot tub'.

#71 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:23 PM

FYI, I've emailed the operator to enquire about their Raja Ampat schedules and whether it is generally feasible to fly out on the same day that we get into Sorong.

My understanding is that most all of the operators will motor into port overnight after a final day at dive sites that are relatively nearby.

#72 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

FYI, I've emailed the operator to enquire about their Raja Ampat schedules and whether it is generally feasible to fly out on the same day that we get into Sorong.

My understanding is that most all of the operators will motor into port overnight after a final day at dive sites that are relatively nearby.

Don't know if you'll get a specific schedule of sites to be dived, or when, but probably a general itinerary.

I was on 2 different liveaboards in 2013, diving Raja Ampat. On one the last dive was 2pm on the last day, since a group and myself were not flying out the next day. The last dive on the other boat was at 10am, followed by lunch. Both boats then motored across the Dampier Strait into Sorong harbor, mooring prior to sunset, where dinner was on board the last night. Most of the guests were flying out on flights the following morning.

The first day, in the Misool area I counted 10 liveaboards all diving in the area. There were other areas where I saw 2-4 other boats in the area. Several times I overheard our cruise director having a radio conversation with another boat, to determine what their route would be, what sites they were going to dive and when [esp. Aljui Bay - pearl farm/Cendana fuel dock + other sites]. Then there are sites, such as 'Manta Sandy' [a cleaning station for reef mantas], which are also popular with the 'day boats' from nearby land based resorts.

Of course, things change, and so much depends on what the conditions are.  My 2 psi - Bill

#73 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

From the horse's mouth, so to speak:

"Thank you for your email

we usually arrive to the final harbor the night before departing, so guests have sufficient time to go to the airport and make their preferred connection.

in Sorong case, most flights depart after 09:00 am, but in case there is an earlier one, that would be no problem.

hope this information helps

best regards"

I am reading this as saying we can reliably fly out of Sorong on the 4th / 13th.

Edited by Elias, 25 October 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#74 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

[...] Manado (MDC) offers another international airport. MDC is closer to Sorong (SOQ) than Denpasar (DPS) and there are direct flights available, albeit with reduced schedules and carriers than from DPS. Around Manado you have the Bunaken Marine Park and the Lembeh Straight, as well as a number of land-based tourist activities, [...]

For those of you considering a SIN-MDC-SOQ routing, here is a selection of hotels in Manado. Prices should be current, as I put this list together just a couple of weeks ago when I was in Manado. Kamala, you may want to save this info for future trips to North Sulawesi. :)

Depending on what time you arrive, you may need to arrange a night in Manado and transfer to Bunaken /Lembeh the following day. Or, if you are feeling adventurous and want to explore Manado and / or the Minihasa highlands, staying in the city is nicer than out by the airport. (Regrettably, a large portion of the Tankoko National Park recently burned down, so visiting the tarsiers may not be possible and hiking options in the park are now somewhat limited.)

The MDC-SOQ flight is among the first out of MDC in the morning, around 04:15. You'll need to transfer from Bunaken / Lembeh to Manado the day / evening before and spend the night near the airport (about 20-40 minutes out of town, depending on traffic).

* Hotel Istanaku Guesthouse – Rooms from Rp 235’000. New, clean and compact guesthouse convenient for early transfers to the airport the next day.
* Hotel Griya Sintesa – from Rp 350’000.
* Hotel Aryaduta – from Rp 1’200’000. Good location for shops and restaurants. Also book-able on agoda.com
* Novotel – from US$45. Novotel is situated close to the airport and has a shuttle service, but is not close to the city centre. Best rates are found booking online on the Novotel website.
* Sintesa Peninsula Hotel – from Rp 1’465’000. Also book-able on agoda.com
* Quality Hotel - from Rp 500'000. Strategic location, close to shopping centers, good condition, comfortable and clean. Also book-able on agoda.com
* Hotel Boulevard – from Rp 225’000. Good location for the shopping malls. Clean comfortable rooms with AC and TV.
* Grace Inn Manado Hotel - from Rp170'000
* Hotel Minahasa - Rp255'000

I will try to post some options for decent Sorong hotels soon ... :)

#75 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:02 PM

Sorry for the delay, Internet access here on the edge of the map is rather dear and the best option seems to be in the wee hours, when the 2G cellular link from a neighboring island is relatively unburdened.

So, Sorong hotels ... There aren't many, and even fewer I'd recommend to SD members. Sorong is first and foremost a port city, despite the growing impact of the tourism industry.

The easiest option is probably the Meridien, which is literally across the road from the airport. You can see it when you walk out the doors and if you have roller wheels on your dive luggage, is easily walkable. There isn't much in the area, being somewhat removed from the city, but you'll find a decent bakery just a little ways further down the road (on the same block). There is a restaurant off the lobby but I haven't eaten there.

If you want to stay in town, then the next best options are either the Swiss Bell or the Mamberamo ... Any of the others, and especially the places near the cargo port tend to be older / run down / poorly maintained / used for 'short time' stays.

The Swiss Bell, being a larger chain of hotels, is easier to book but well over priced, IMHO, at $40-60/nt IIRC. It's still cheap enough by American / European standards and you'll find AC, WiFi and acceptably decent beds in the rooms. You will, however, pay for such simple luxuries and I generally boycott the chain since the management is famously indifferent to 'issues' and any money you give them does not stay in the local community but instead leaves the country via a foreign bank account.

The Mamberamo is locally owned and also of acceptable quality but in the $30-40/nt range... They actually have two hotels, the Marina Manberamo and the Royal Mamberamo -- stay at the Royal Mamberamo, which is in the city, and offers AC rooms. WiFi is also available, but I recall the signal in my room being a little weak when I stayed there last. The restaurant on the ground floor is okay, serving Indo, Chinese and a few international dishes, but doesn't offer much for vegetarians. The real bonus to this location is being able to wander around town.

I'll see if I can dig up some restaurant recommendations for another post about Sorong. Again, I wouldn't schedule more than a day or so in Sorong as there really isn't much to see or do from a tourism perspective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users