• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2016-01/02: JAN 24-FEB 4 and FEB 6-13 RAJA AMPAT BACK-TO-BACK TRIPS OPEN FOR BOOKING!

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor / Trimix / Sidemount / Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:800+

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

I've been looking forward to this trip opening up for registration since I saw you in Fiji, Kamala! :D

Personal Update: It looks like I will definitely be in the area already; working with Barefoot Conservation for the season, from Arborek Island, on a manta monitoring project led by a couple of principal investigators from the Marine Megafauna Foundation.

I actually ended up signing up for a last minute, week-long trip around Northern Raja Ampat in early April with Sea Safaris. Even though it was sort of the shoulder season, we saw all kinds of great marine life -- big clouds of fish all around rich and healthy beds of coral, a couple of dives with mantas, lots of sharks including wobegong sightings every single day, tons of macro life; I could go on and on... The entire region is really magnificent! :)

Edited by Elias, 22 May 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#32 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

Oh, quick question -- Do you have any info regarding the possible itineraries for the two back-to-back trips?

I looked at the operators website and noted that both trips leave out of Sorong, but they don't seem to offer any more details. It would be great to know if the itinerary is North or South ... or central, for that matter. Maybe they could pick me up from Arborek to save me the trip to Sorong? ;)

Thanks!

Edited by Elias, 22 May 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#33 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

Oh, quick question -- Do you have any info regarding the possible itineraries for the two back-to-back trips?

I looked at the operators website and noted that both trips leave out of Sorong, but they don't seem to offer any more details. It would be great to know if the itinerary is North or South ... or central, for that matter. Maybe they could pick me up from Arborek to save me the trip to Sorong? ;)

Thanks!

You'll already be spoiled!!! Nite dives on the Arborek jetty are GREAT!!!

PM some info about the NGO's you're working with - looking for something to do in retirement - might as well do it in RA

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:23 AM

Hey gang...we will be opening these trips up asap! I wanted to put something together on the front end to arrive a bit early but due to the extensive roll out of the new website...we will open the just the liveaboard option. I know our RA experts Elias and Bill will have some ideas for how to arrive a few days early for not too much money and allow us to be sure to make the boat.

Ideas guys??? Thank you!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#35 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

[...] I know our RA experts Elias and Bill will have some ideas for how to arrive a few days early for not too much money and allow us to be sure to make the boat.

Ideas guys??? Thank you!

Probably the best place to fly in early is Bali, simply due to how well connected the Denpasar airport is and the variety of activities available.

Since individual itineraries and budgets will vary, I'll try to be brief and just provide some loose threads for people to pull on when doing their own trip planning.

DIVING

Nusa Lembongan / Nusa Penida
This is my go-to place for diving when I have extra time on Bali. These islands are part of Bali, lying just SE of the big island. Regular ferry service (both tourist class and local class boats) runs out of Sanur. Expect sloping reefs, some walls and good currents for some nice drift dives. Unfortunately it will not be Mola Mola season but there is good reason to love the diving here all year around. My recommended operator is Two Fish Divers, <http://www.twofishdivers.com/>,the only five star PADI dive center in the area, but I generally stay across the road at some very nice, cheaper accommodations run by a sweet family, Lembongan Tropical Guesthouse, <http://lembongantropical.com/>. If you have the ability to make a significantly longer trip, Two Fish can arrange diving safaris to their other dive centers in Lembeh and / or Bunaken as well. There isn't much to do besides diving and exploring the islands but that is part of the attraction since you won't find hoards of drunk surfers, abusively overpriced bars and restaurants, long streets full of crappy souvenirs, dodgy massage places and streetwalking prostitutes, obnoxious touts, ripoff taxi drivers, thumping nightclubs, etc. like you do all through Denpasar and especially in the Kuta / Legian / Seminyak areas. 

Liberty Wreck / Tulamben / Amed
My number two area for diving and widely included in lists of the best wrecks in the world, sitting close to shore in shallow water and with a tremendous amount of marine life on / around it. It is possible to just stay anywhere in the Tulamben area and rent tanks for $5 each from the guys with a compressor set up in the parking lot at the beach. Then just make a shore entry and swim out over the black sand to the wreck -- Easy as. There are some other really good sites in the Tulamben / Amed area, which are accessible by boat and any one of the numerous dive centers can help you with. Amed also boasts some really good sites that are worth investigating but you may want to change accommodations between the two areas to save the time driving back and forth.

Candidasa
This is an area along the South coast of Bali, East of Denpasar. Day trips are made to sites along the coast as well as to Nusa Lembongan and the Liberty Wreck (although I think most places charge extra to cover the related transportation costs). The closer dive sites aren't as special but you would have the option of various land-based day trips that can be made from here, to the most holy temple at Mt Agung; the Ubud rice paddies; the Tirta Gangga water temple; etc. Although I have checked out some of the dive sites, I haven't stayed in this area so unfortunately I can't offer any personal recommendations on resorts or dive centers.

North West Coast
There is some good diving to be found around Menjangan Island and the Tasman National Park on the NW part of Bali. The diving tends to be seasonal, with the monsoons affecting visibility, but Jan / Feb / March are a good time to explore the sites in the area. It's some effort to get there but you'll leave the tourists behind and be able to do some cool land based stuff in the region as well, as there are hiking trails through the national parks, waterfalls to swim in, hot springs to soak in, etc. If you're interested in mining some diving and some non-diving days then Lovina offers a nice place to base yourself. Check out <http://lovina.net/>for some good local info.

NON-DIVING

I mentioned Mt Agung, Tirta Gangga and Ubud above, but there are literally tons of other things to do on Bali. The rice paddies around Ubud are UNESCO listed and very impressive. Ubud itself is a lovely place to hang out, do yoga, get massages, explore the nearby villages and other temples, the volcano, coffee plantations and so on. Many places in Ubud offer half or full day tours that combine several of these.

The north coast is also very nice (and I prefer it over Ubud due to the number of Eat, Pray, Love types that flock to Ubud for yoga courses and whatnot). As above, there are loads of hiking options, more temples, waterfalls, hot springs, more relaxed beaches than you find in Kuta / Legian / Seminyak, and some tour companies that offer day trips to all of the same places you can reach from Ubud.

The West part of Bali is basically a big National Park that sees very few visitors and has lots of cool endemic animals and migratory birds. If you get in touch with them in advance, there are some cabins you can rent through the National Park office and the rangers will show you around the park to help you see the cool and rare things.

South of Denpasar, the Nusa Dua region is a bit more upscale as far as accommodations go, but there are golf courses and long stretches of beach to explore. Besides Mt Agung, Uluwatu is probably the second most important temple on Bali and found on the Western point of this southern part of the island (head out there for sunset if you are curious, you won't be disappointed).

Regarding tours, it is often just as easy to hire a driver for the day as it is to book a tour. This allows you to go at your own pace and customize the day to your interests. Most guesthouses and hotels will know someone to call if you are interested in this option. This stuff can really be arranged at the last minute very easily and there is no reason to book far in advance for tour related activities.

----------------------

Hopefully Bill can add some things where I have erred on the side of brevity and left egregious holes above. Let me know if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to address them and / or make more specific recommendations. I think I may even still have contact info for a reliable and fairly priced driver that is willing to cart you all over the place.   :)

Cheers!

Edited by Elias, 25 May 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#36 poppi

poppi

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

When will this open? I'm going to be leaving for the Philippines on the 8th and hope I don't miss the advertisement. I'll be on a liveaboard so won't have internet access.

Thanks!

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

When will this open? I'm going to be leaving for the Philippines on the 8th and hope I don't miss the advertisement. I'll be on a liveaboard so won't have internet access.

Thanks!

If all goes well it will be open before the 8th. I will do a small Bali add-on which will not be locked in but the trip will be open very soon. I am leading a trip and I have to coordinate the efforts of several people (fortunately they are smarter and faster than me and know how to use my new system for which I do not)  Stay tuned...we'll get it done before your liveaboard. Kamala

• poppi likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#38 poppi

poppi

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

I'm leaving tomorrow for my trip and will be without internet access. I return on the 23rd. I've been looking forward to the signup. I hope I don't miss it.

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

Poppi we encountered some issues trying to get new trips into our new system. We have resolved them but not sure we can pull the trigger before you leave. Fingers crossed we are working on it!

formerly...

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

UPDATE:

This trip WILL open very soon but most likely NOT before Poppi travels again. Poppie check your email and your PM's...let us know what week you want so we can make sure you are on the trip. You've been so patient with us AND used our forums so we'll take care of you! :thankyou:

formerly...

#41 brat

brat

Getting started

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced open water and Nitrox [Tdisdi]
  • Logged Dives:1000 PLUS

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:54 AM

can you please add me to the 10 day trip? I noticed you three level to sleep. I would like middle of the boat  please ! I do not like stairs or ladders!

thank you.

kurt [ brat]

Edited by brat, 22 February 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#42 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

can you please add me to the 7 day trip?

Kurt you are on the notify list! :cool:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#43 PacificGirl

PacificGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master (never worked as a Dive Master though)
  • Logged Dives:? 300- ish

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

Re: Elias' post about Nusa Lembongan...Blue Corner is another fabulous dive shop to go with when on that island.
  • dive_sail_etc and Elias like this

#44 Elias

Elias

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

So, the trip opened and I signed up BUT ... I forgot to use the early payment discount code! Aaaagh!

Can you help me out?

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

So, the trip opened and I signed up BUT ... I forgot to use the early payment discount code! Aaaagh!

Can you help me out?

We'll figure it out! May just have to refund you unless you can do BOTH WEEKS!!! ;)

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users