• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Airline and Route Options

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Maldives Flight Routes (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which airline / route are you planning to take to the Maldives?

1. Cathay Pacific / Hong Kong (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Emirates / Dubai (11 votes [68.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

3. Etihad / Abu Dhabi (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Qatar / Doha (3 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

5. Turkish Airlines / Istanbul (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Other (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 aquapacific

aquapacific

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:Adv'd Open Water & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:at least 300 (Don't really keep track)

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

I hope Sally sees this:

I booked the Emirates 3:40 PM (all non stops)  to DXB from SFO on 3/1/17. 

Will stay at a cheap hotel 3/2, 3 & 4.  It has free Airport & Mall shuttles  &  It's close to the Hop On & Off  Buses.

Will catch the Em 4:35 AM flt to MLE  & arr @ 9:45 AM on 3/5.

The isld looks small.  I'd like to do a Mini tour til 3 PM on 3/15 & meet at the dock. 

On 3/15, my flt back to DXB leaves @  11:10 AM;  arrives @ 2:20.

I booked a nicer place closer to D.town for one PM.

Will fly DXB to SFO at 8:50 AM on the 16th.

FYI:  My best price on Air was through Orbitz

#17 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

I'm looking at going via Emirates for the March 5th trip and doing a stopover in Dubai.  It looks like there are quite a few things to do and I see several of you are there during that time so maybe we can meet up and do some tours as a group?

Edited by Cajun Diver, 06 August 2016 - 03:14 PM.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#18 aquapacific

aquapacific

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

I put my flt details from SFO to DXB on the "Buffer Days" Forum

in case anyone goes early & wants to explore around with me on the 3rd & 4th.

I also booked a hotel for the night of the 15th & will  take the Em Flt out  at 8:50 AM on the 16th

#19 aquapacific

aquapacific

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

FYI:  On 3/2 through 3/5/17 

I'm staying at "Arabian Park Hotel".

My flt  to MLE on the 5th is at 4:35 AM.

Then on 3/15,  I'll be at the "Rose Rayhaan".

It's closer to Downtown.

Will prob do a Night + Dinner Tour & go to bed early.

Trip Advisor has good reviews, maps  & descriptions

#20 Wet Wally

Wet Wally

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

Hi all,

I just booked my flights for the Mar 5-15 trip.  

Departing Savannah Mar 1,  connecting at JFK in New York with Emirates and depart at 11pm for Dubai. Arrive there next day at 8:15 pm. Depart Dubai with Emirates at 2:45 am, arriving Male 7:50 am, March 3. 

Kamala is setting up a Male hotel for us.  I don't know the name or where, but count me "in."

On the 15th  flying Emirates, departing Male at 9:15 am for Dubai.  Then depart Dubai at 3 pm for JFK arriving there next day at 9:25 pm.  Spending the night at an airport hotel and departing the next morning for Savannah.

Hope to see some of you along the way, but if not, see you in Male.

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

UPDATE:

We will be updating critical aspects to this trip including who needs extra nights in MALE as we have rooms on hold. We will get this organized as we want everyone to stay at the same hotel for security and logistic purposes!

Stay tuned....

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#22 MRDESSERT

MRDESSERT

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:90+

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

Wet Wally -

We share some flights....

I am planning on arriving there in the afternoon of 3/2/2017 (Emirates #208 14:05) and departing 3/4/2017 @4:45 AM to MLE (Emirates #658), then spending that day & most of 3/5/2017 touring MLE.

Home 9:15 MLE - DXB JFK (21:25 pm)

lmk re hotel in Dubai & what you planned on seeing there...

my thoughts:

Burj tower to see it all....

tour the Palms, just because it looks so cool

possibly a sand dune safari - because where else can you do this?

An awesome meal, because it's such an exotic place....or just plain jane local food...not sure yet...

If anyone has other ideas, lmk!

thanks

mrdessert

Edited by MRDESSERT, 19 August 2016 - 04:06 PM.

Peace and Good Diving,

Mrdessert aka Craig   :wavey:  :bam:

#23 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hey all,

I happen to stumble on this thread. I did Maldives a few years ago and did the JFK to Dubai and back routing. My only regret was that I didn't spend more time in Dubai. On the way to Male just spent a few hours layover and on the way back I spent one full day there. It was beautiful and tons to do. Great restaurants and views. Even just grabbing a taxi to do a city tour was great. 

Highly recommend doing the Burj Khalifa, the mall of Dubai was amazing and you could spend days there and not see everything. The fountain show outside the mall dwarfs the ones in Las Vegas, Especially great to see at night with the light show from one of the outdoor terrace restaurants that extend from the mall and from the top of the Burj

One of the most amazing aquariums I've ever seen was inside the mall, like 2 million gallons and 30 feet tall with a tunnel that cuts thru the aquarium. There were also skeletons of huge dinosaurs, huge waterfalls, ice skating rinks, etc.

I regretted not having enough time to do the sand dune safari dinner which I heard great things about also. I also wanted to see the Atlantis resort up close. Lots to do there. It's essentially oil money run amok. It's building a city where money is no object, although after the economic slump a lot of projects halted and you can see evidence of construction sites that have been idle for years. What has been built was built to perfection. Even the airport was beautiful. So if you can plan a few extra days in Dubai, definitely do!

Have fun all and I wish I was going with you!

• ItsScubaJen likes this

#24 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

I'm looking at going via Emirates for the March 5th trip and doing a stopover in Dubai.  It looks like there are quite a few things to do and I see several of you are there during that time so maybe we can meet up and do some tours as a group?

So this is what I'm looking at doing after reading all of the posts and what Jose mentions from his previous trip:

March 1st from IAH to Dubai arriving March 2nd.  Staying there until March 4th in one of the hotels where others are then going to MLE that morning.  I always like a day buffer for liveaboards in case something happens and I could always cut short the Dubai portion if necessary.

Coming back March 15 depart MLE for Dubai and having a long layover departing on the 16th for IAH.

All on Emirates and so would need one night in MLE on the 4th.

The sand dune safari dinner sounds like something I want to do.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

#25 MRDESSERT

MRDESSERT

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:90+

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:49 AM

Cajun (& others of course)

I am in Dubai 3/2 @14:05 until 3/4 @4:45 am...

I have a room at the Hilton Sharjah (picked based on miles & "newness" of hotel) for 3/2 & 3/4...

Lmk where you are staying...if it works out I can change...

would love to do the sand dune thing & other adventures...

lmk if you want to meet up...

Peace and Good Diving,

Mrdessert aka Craig   :wavey:  :bam:

#26 Wet Wally

Wet Wally

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

MRDESSERT & others,

Not sure I'd have time to tour Dubai, since I arrive  Mar 2nd at 8:15 pm and depart 6 hours later at 2:45 am for Male. But like you I'm also hanging around Male for a couple of days before meeting the liveaboard.  See you there.

#27 susiq

susiq

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

Confused by one thing: is this thread ONLY for the Mar 5-15 segment of the trip or also for those of us who are doing the Feb. 26-Mar. 5th option, and if those writing are a mix of BOTH how do I know whom of YOU all are going when, as no one has actually said so on their posts...

Hmmmm.

I'have the option of going on either Emirates or Qatar Airlines dep JFK Feb. 24th to DOH then MLE on 25th so I'll need one night in a hotel before the 26th ..... One the return, Qatart departs MLE on the Mar. 5th at 8:20 PM so I'll have a long day to hang out and a day room would be nice since we have to get off the boat in the early AM!!!

So far that's all the info I have. The two flights are practically parallel in terms of departure/arrival times, AND layover time (obviously not layover cities....) so the price will pretty much determine things for me right now they're both running about $950 (eek!)

Edited by susiq, 16 September 2016 - 02:11 PM.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#28 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

Confused by one thing: is this thread ONLY for the Mar 5-15 segment of the trip or also for those of us who are doing the Feb. 26-Mar. 5th option, and if those writing are a mix of BOTH how do I know whom of YOU all are going when, as no one has actually said so on their posts...

No this thread is not only for the Mar 5 - 15 but so far it's mainly those of us on that part that have posted.  The only way to tell is to look at the dates listed.  It may not be a bad idea to split out the trips to different threads to make it less confusing though.

#29 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

That room offer with Emirates is only if you have NO other choice of connecting flights but one with a long layover? 

So my returning to JFK there are several different connecting time options,  I think some shorter than 8 hours, so they probably wouldn't give me the room if the longer layover was by MY CHOICE, right?

Looking for clarification, because I'm sure if they think I'm gaming the system they wouldn't offer it to me...

BTW, my trip is the first week segment, so I'm contemplating spending a day or so in Doha......Any good reason for doing that? anyone?

( Qatar right now is $100 cheaper from JFK

than Emirates....)

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#30 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:10 PM

No this thread is not only for the Mar 5 - 15 but so far it's mainly those of us on that part that have posted.  The only way to tell is to look at the dates listed.  It may not be a bad idea to split out the trips to different threads to make it less confusing though.

Yes, it would be great if folks would refer to their own trip as either Week 1 or Week 2, unless it will be possible to sort things into 2 threads!

It could be very useful sooner if it helps some folks who STILL actually need to buy their ticket and want company on a layover--my layover now seems to be Doha, so I think I'd prefer arriving early in Male.

So I'm Week 1,  thinking of arriving the 24th Feb (TWO days early) to allow a full day of sightseeing in Male capital, while still having a day to crash/sleep off jetlag on the beach of whatever modest hotel/guesthouse I'll be staying at....all of which TBD!!!)

OR did I see somewhere that there will be a city tour on the day we arrive BACK in Male before going home? In which case duplicating it on the day before we embark might not be necessary.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users