• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boat splits... all SD or mix in the 6-8 other guests at the resort?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

When our group requires two boats its a mixed blessing. Obviously more people mean a few more bucks for the SD coffers and given we make so little on each person...more on a trip is good. However we also have to manage more things and one of those things is the dive boats.

I always prefer one dive boat as everyone has the same experience because we are all part of it. No matter how well we do splitting the boats...if we have two boats...one boat will "appear" or "seem" to have a different experience than the other one. Sometimes it seems they may see more things...or they have funnier dive guides or the group meshes together quicker and well you get the idea.

So how do I solve that?  The easy answer is to do a nice mix of new and returning members on each boat and a nice mix of skill sets and a nice mix of those who stay down longer vs those who make shorter dives. The list goes on and on but again you all get the idea.

Now here is where it gets tricky....

After nearly 13 years of being a dive club on steroids some powerful friendships have been made. And SD is very proud of that. But that is also a mixed blessing. Those friendships love to be renewed with either requests to dive with someone they've dove with before because we did an amazing job of matching people with other divers just like them or rooming with someone we did an amazing job of matching people together with.

So far still ok...but as that happens more and more....our returning members may forget what it is like to be that first timer worried about cliques and well people all knowing one another and they feel left out. :( And while we always state that we never cliquie... we do have to work hard at it because well its easy to get caught up in catching up with old friends that we may not make as many new ones as we have on past trips.

So I ask my returning divers to be sure to be inclusive and remember how they felt when they were new. And I ask our new members to be open and reach out as well as wait for others to welcome them. ITS A TWO WAY STREET ...er...is that a TWO WAY OCEAN??

Either way .... we need everyone to help EVERYONE feel welcome and I promise EVERYONE WILL HAVE AN AMAZING TIME!!!  :wakawaka:

That being said I need help on how to split the boats....

URGENT INPUT NEEDED:

The resort has only about 6-8 peeps that are NOT SD.com guests. They have asked how I want to split the 3 boats...each boat can take 20 people on them and we have 37 people in our group and they have 6-8.

• All 2 tank divers on the same boat
  • All 3 tank divers on the same boats
  • All non SD guests on one boat and all SD guests on one boat

I typically choose #3 but I will let OUR GROUP DECIDE since you will be the ones impacted. PLEASE GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK IN THIS TOPIC YOU ARE READING.

No answer is wrong. because Its YOUR vacation. We know nothing about the other guests and we are working hard to ensure that our boats are a great mix of newer and more experienced divers...repeats and new people....people enjoy longer divers and people who enjoy shorter dives. 

p.s. Again I know nothing of the other guests...I do not know how many are only doing 2 tanks vs 3 a day and I know nothing of how many are couples or single divers like us. I am trying to find out but must make a boat split decision by tomorrow am.  THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME TO ENSURE YOUR VACATION IS THE BEST IT CAN BE!!!!

So please take a minute to give us your feedback :thankyou:

UPDATE FROM THE RESORT ON THE MIX OF THE NON-SD DIVERS AT THE HOTEL:

We have 11 people (including 9 people from your group) booked to do 2 tank packages. So we could do one boat of 11 (all 2 tankers), one of 14, and one of 15. Due to overall numbers, we will only be running two boats in the afternoon, and it usually makes guests happier to not have to switch boats from morning to afternoon every day.

The other alternative would be to run two boats with just your group on them and one boat with the six other divers at the resort on it in the morning, and then move those of them who are doing 3 tank packages to the boats with your group for the afternoon, however we wouldn’t want to have your group upset because they’re on more crowded boats while others are going out with far fewer people on their boat.

What are your thoughts?  - LCBR

SO PLEASE POST YOUR THOUGHTS IN THIS TOPIC YOU ARE READING!! I have to decide asap and then do the boat splits accordingly. Also remember that I have no control nor any clout nor any influence with non SD members. Part of what makes our group work so well is that I have 100% control with our group and its members. I will not have this latitude with the non-SD members. I can obviously manage it and they may become future members but it is a caveat to consider.

Thank you for taking the time to  give us valuable input on this important decision I have to make. :respect:

Edited by WreckWench, 31 August 2016 - 10:47 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

It might be easier on the resort to have all of the '3 tank' divers on one boat just for easier logistics, but they may not care. The fewer number of divers on any boat, the better. So an even split might give each diver more space.

As long as the boat departs on time to get us into the warm wonderful water, all divers are encouraged to blend in. Just my 3,200psi...

Edited by Resqdew, 31 August 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#3 SerialDiver

SerialDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

I would prefer to stay on the same boat for all three dives, so option 2: 

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

It might be easier on the resort to have all of the '3 tank' divers on one boat just for easier logistics, but they may not care. The fewer number of divers on any boat, the better. So an even split might give each diver more space.

As long as the boat departs on time to get us into the warm wonderful water, all divers are encouraged to blend in. Just my 3,200psi...

There are no assurances that the other guests will either blend in or be on time. OTOH...there is no assurances our members will blend in or be on time...but I at least have some options with the latter...I have none with the former.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

I would prefer to stay on the same boat for all three dives, so option 2: 

Thank you. Option #3 would also enable me to have all 3 tankers on the same boat. ONLY THE NON-SD DIVERS WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE BOATS and we'd welcome them for the 3rd dive no problem. So we'd have some mixing and they could see how cool our group is ensuring we have the BEST CONFIG FOR DIVING!!!

formerly...

#6 Seafever

Seafever

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open water/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

Let's have all of us together in one boat!!!! Don't split us up.

#7 Tandoorii

Tandoorii

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

Any option that leaves the 3 tankers on one boat would be immensely convenient for everyone, SD or NSD.

• SerialDiver likes this

#8 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

Three boats in the AM - two for us and one for "them".  Since there are only eight (8) of us not doing the 3rd dive, split the boats evenly for us in the AM and then merge the non-SDers on the 3rd dive between both boats. We all stay in place and have a couple of new divers on each boat in the afternoon.

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

Let's have all of us together in one boat!!!! Don't split us up.

They don't have a boat big enough for 37 people. :(  Otherwise I would!

formerly...

#10 skidiver

skidiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

I think the resort and you have the right solution . All 2 tankers on one and 3 tankers on the other two boats . 

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

Any option that leaves the 3 tankers on one boat would be immensely convenient for everyone, SD or NSD.

Out of the 37 divers we have 9 that are only 2 tankers. So if we do 2 boats of ONLY SDer's then each will have a good mix of 3 tankers and they will not have to change boats. The 2 tankers merely don't dive that afternoon.

The other scenario using the NSD guests will allow the 3 tankers to not have to change either but the boats will be blended and there will be less people total on each boat. 11, 15 and 16.

OR

6-8 non SDers on one boat and 18 SDer's on one boat and 19 SDer's on the other

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

I think the resort and you have the right solution . All 2 tankers on one and 3 tankers on the other two boats . 

We can accomplish the same thing if we use #3.

The question is do you want to mix the boats with people we do not know and have no say or involvement with?

formerly...

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

Three boats in the AM - two for us and one for "them".  Since there are only eight (8) of us not doing the 3rd dive, split the boats evenly for us in the AM and then merge the non-SDers on the 3rd dive between both boats. We all stay in place and have a couple of new divers on each boat in the afternoon.

Yes this works if we choose #3.  The only downside is we have a few more people on OUR boats but they are all OUR PEEPS!!!

formerly...

#14 SerialDiver

SerialDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Again, I would prefer a less crowded boat, does not matter if all are SDers or SDers mixed with non-SDers, we are all divers. As long as 3 tankers stay on the same boat for all three dives.

#15 robanda

robanda

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:About 400

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

Hi Kamala

Hate to split the group... but would rather dive on a boat this is not crowded.  

Who likes crowded diving?

So I'm for the 3 tankers on one boat

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users