• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Thailand Jan

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 scubatom

scubatom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

I will be going to Thailand in Jan. What Island should I go to, Hotel, and dive shop or liveabaord.

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:01 PM

Koh Phi Phi was my favorite island although it is very westernized. Had a great time diving there and lots of friendly people. Just made it out of the country by midnight on the day my visa expired.

Did Koh Tao as well. Enjoyed it but it was crowded with divers. Some nice remote sites though and I loved Pileh Bay.

Obviously I'd recommend the Similans.

Dr. Bill

#3 rockhound1971

rockhound1971

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40+

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:27 AM

I'd agree with Dr. Bill, but it all depends on what your looking for...

If your going to dive, go to the similans, I'd do a liveaboard...you'll get more bottom time that way

if you're going to dive and party hard, I'd go to KOh Samui or Koh Pan Jang (Sp?)...full moon parties, etc...

if you're going for the middle ground, I'd go to Koh Tao...its a small island, with plenty of dive shops. you can get Nitrox at Planet SCuba (if you're into that) and I found the westerners (non-thai) to be rather a good mix.

if you're going native...I don't know what to tell you...how long will you be there?
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

#4 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:52 AM

I hear Puket is wonderful. I have never been diving there myself, sadly when i wss there it was for work and was not able to arrange a side trip.

Have fun
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#5 scubatom

scubatom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:39 PM

two or three weeks I am not sure yet

#6 scubatom

scubatom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:40 PM

Do i need a visa or just a passport

#7 TatonkaDive

TatonkaDive

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:56 PM

I spent about a month on Koh Samui, Koh Tao, and Koh Panang...although did all of the diving off of Koh Tao and got my AOW. Like others have said, it depends on what you're looking for as far as the mix of social vs. dive life vs. other stuff. For example kayaking the Anthong National Park, which is what the book 'The Beach' was written about, was tres cool! But the movie was filmed on the Phi Phi side. Also went treking and took a cooking class way up in Chiang Mai which was fantastic. In 3 weeks, you could hit both sides of the south, but it would probably be a bit rushed.

I hope to sail the other coast sometime and hit the Koh Phi Phi / Phuket side along with the Similans, Malaysia, and maybe even Burma/Myanmar someday...maybe even take some additional time off and trek more of India and Nepal more. Ahhh, so much to see.

Apparently you don't need a visa... http://www.mfa.go.th.../12.php#Tourist
Best to check with a travel agent / airline first though.

If you have an overnight layover in Bangkok, try to book a room at The Atlanta (if you are more upscale, the JW Marriott is just up the street)...very cheap basic rooms and not too far off the highway coming from the airport. The food there is UNBELIEVABLE! The menu is a great read.

Have fun!
Stay wet!
tatonkadive

#8 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:37 PM

Do i need a visa or just a passport

Yes you need to get a visa (at least I did a few years ago).
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#9 densha99

densha99

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:14 PM

I hit Thailand this summer for 2.5 weeks. Fantastic time. Flew into Bankok for a night (Cowson road, backpacker central, really cheap, didn't do reservations), then hit Koh Samui for 2 nights and spent the balance on Koh Tao..... Koh Tao is pretty central to lots of the diving spots in that area. I liked it because it was low key. There are things to do, and some parties if your timing is right. If you want quiet but still want to hit a full moon party, they run boat shuttles to Koh Phangan . One thing to consider is that the Thai people take vacatin in Jan. (according to the dive shop / resort I was staying) and they said they are pretty busy then, so the feel may be different than July when I was there. Reguardless NICE diving BEAUTIFUL country. GREAT food. Fresh fish daily... see them under water daily, eat them nightly :D
"I would love to be called a Wreck Diver, but really I am just a diver who is a wreck."

#10 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:35 PM

If you have an overnight layover in Bangkok, try to book a room at The Atlanta

If you overnight in Bangkok be sure to take in Pot Pong (think I spelled that correctly), quite an experience. I found the flea market shops interesting, but I am sure you will find what surrounds the market even more interesting. It is an interesting experience (especially if you like to people watch)
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:47 PM

Tom....I think you should travel with a great group of singles rather then go solo! But hey...what do you expect from me??? LOL!!! :-D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 domino22

domino22

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:32 PM

Tom....I think you should travel with a great group of singles rather then go solo! But hey...what do you expect from me??? LOL!!! :teeth:

she is jealous!

#13 wuggiman

wuggiman

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:Staff Instr, IT, Trimix Adv
  • Logged Dives:3000+

Posted 28 December 2004 - 04:44 AM

hi all

i live and work in Thailand, not to mention doing lotsa bottom time. In light of the disaster that has just happened in Phuket and that side all the way up past Khao Lak, i can recommend going to the inside of the Gulf of Thailand.

Yes, it has happened and is not likely to happen again, but the devastation that the tidal wave has created has wiped out a lot of business in Phuket and coastal areas.

It will take a lot of time to repair and rebuild all that has been damaged.

for further travel advise, i can recommend www.divesiteasia.com, which i normally use to book and arrange my LOB inside Thailand.

If you go to Pattaya to dive, do not expect the best visibility, but it does provide you with a good environment for training, however, from Pattaya, you can access Samae San, where there is good diving to be found, but is really only for advanced divers.

Outside of Pattaya you will find a fairly new wreck, which was sunk by the Thai Navy, an old landing craft (former US), the Kram.

You can also go to the east where you will find Koh (Island) Chang and Koh Samet, they are what Phuket used to be years back, although Koh Chang is rapidly developing.

Go to the inside of the Gulf, you will find Koh Samui, a tropical island with lots of day trip diving as well as good night life, from here you can also reach the nearby islands. Here there is plentifull diving.

If you want info on actual diving check out www.barcodedivers, they help divers for sites in mainly SEA, or again, www.divesiteasia (ask for alex), they are normally quite helpfull.

well thats my two cents worth of not a lot, but if you want more info on the region here, i am more than happy to help, as i go many places here.

wuggi

#14 scubatom

scubatom

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 06:18 PM

Yes I will be going the first week of Feb. I just have to find the best place to go now.

#15 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:31 AM

Yes I will be going the first week of Feb. I just have to find the best place to go now.

looks like your gonna have to find a place that still exists. and that doesn't need to be rebuilt.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users