Hey gang...we need to be proactive in how we manage our air bookings for this trip. We are up against several challenges:
1. If you did not buy trip ins for this trip then all expenses related to airport changes and/or your missing this trip will fall on you BECAUSE the airport issues are related to IRMA UNLESS YOU BUY THE AIRLINE INS OFFERED WHEN YOU BOOK THE TICKET AND THEN ANY CHGS WILL BE COVERED.. If you bought your trip ins before Irma was a 'named storm' then you are covered no matter what happens. Your TRIP INS will still cover all things trip ins covers such as getting ill, travel delays due to weather, someone in the family dying, getting hurt, etc.
2. The boat Explorer Ventures along with the airlines basically say the same thing...3 months is too far out to determine if they will chg tickets or not BUT....EV has now extended the SKB to SKB itin thru Nov 25th but OUR itin will be SKB in and SXM out. THAT BEING SAID... here is what we know...
a. If you have a ticket or get if you join the trip filling our last few spots... then you should fly into SKB and out of SXM as the airlines will HAVE to chg your tickets if the airport is not operational. The boat will give us more than 30 days and upwards of 60 to know if they resume normal schedule or continue the SKB to SKB schedule.
b. If you think the airport will not be rebuilt in time as many do and book a ticket in and out of SKB you can always get a hopper from SXM on Liat or WinAir to make the international connection. Some members have found super fares going in and out of SKB but that may of only been during the hurricane shock when no one was thinking of going to the islands.
c. We will keep posting updates from the boat AND from the web on the status of the airport so you can PROACTIVELY manage your flights.
d. And as always please post in this topic with questions or email email@example.com