• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

diving and aspirin?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:33 AM

I take an aspirin a day while diving (and not cause of heart disease, some would say since I don't have one, it can't get diseased).
70-90% of divers "bubble", esp with multidive, multiday profiles. The vast majority of the bubbles are microscopic or "silent", meaning no discernable physiological effects. Standard thinking was that the effects of nitrogen in DCS is due to the physical obstruction/ pressure on tissue caused by a bubble of sufficient size. If we "come up slowly enough" our body can handle the offgassing nitrogen load, eliminating the nitrogen with normal breathing.
Well, nitrogen has other effects. It is considered a foreign substance in the blood stream, and the body recognizes that. Platelets are clotting substances in the blood, that initially respond to an abnormal surface (like a cut in the wall of a blood vessel, or cholesterol plaque buildup) by becoming activated, sticky, and forming a platelet plug. This is good if they are plugging a hole in a vessel, bad if they are plugging a coronary artery. That is why people with heart disease take an aspirin a day, to reduce the platelets activity and reduce the risk of platelet plugs in heart vessels that have plaque on their walls.
NItrogen bubbles being seen as a foreign substance activate platelets. This can cause "downstream" obstruction to blood flow to an extent much greater than the size of the bubble, since not there is now a plug also. Additionally, activated platelets and white blood cells release mediators, incl histamine and various other "evil humors" that cause swelling, leaking of fluid, inflammatory responses, etc. THis also causes local tissue edema, reducing blood flow and tissue perfusion.
All of this means that by slightly reducing the effect of platelets (just like folks with heart disease), we reduce the CHANCE and maybe extent of platelet activation in response to nitrogen bubbles, and thereby reduce the chance of DCS.
Other drugs that affect platelet function, like motrin, advil, aleve, etc will have similar effects. I don't think that "masking" DCS with an aspirin is really a clinical issue.
Diving; My zen space.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:47 AM

They say that if aspirin had been invented today that we couldn't afford the prescription for it as it is such a miracle drug. Starting on my next trip...I'm taking an aspirin everyday I dive! Thanks doc!!! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:18 AM

Other drugs that affect platelet function, like motrin, advil, aleve, etc will have similar effects.

Do any of these destroy vitamin C?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:23 AM

Other drugs that affect platelet function, like motrin, advil, aleve, etc will have similar effects.

Do any of these destroy vitamin C?

Walter if you take in sufficient vit C in your diet via food and/or bioavailable whole food supplements then you don't have to worry about the negative offset of the aspirin.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 sapphire

sapphire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:29 AM

:cool2: So because I take a whole aspirin every day (for the rest of my life), I need to worry about my Vitamin C?? I eat lots of fruit and veggies...

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:42 AM

Jennifer, you'll need a little more vitimin C than someone who doesn't take asprin.

My question is why take asprin to reduce the chances of DCS if one of the others work as well if they don't destroy vitamin C?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 12 April 2004 - 12:57 PM

I was having a discussion about this subject a while back on another board. Taking asprin as a blood thinning agent seems to have consensus amongst the techie types. While they are loathe to actually reccommend the practice ( they are NOT medical professionals ), they will admit to taking asprin personally.

After talking to other divers and researching it a bit on my own, I would think it's a practice worth thinking about, especially on those week long dive vacations where you're diving a lot, or if pursuing deeper, more agressive, dives.

:cool2:

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:11 PM

I started taking aspirin on dive trips because my knees are older than most, but then - I got to also thinking along these possible lines. Thanks for covering that...!!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#9 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:27 PM

Don, I thought people took asprin to keep up.........never mind, that's viagara.... :dancing:
Sempar Partus!!

#10 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:30 PM

Don, I thought people took asprin to keep up.........never mind, that's viagara.... :dancing:

Hello...? Do I know you?? :o
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#11 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:57 PM

Coo, your techie buddies are right, and so are you on the multidive weeks. The more the chance of nitrogen buildup, the more risk of microbubbles, so more reason to take aspirin. Just be careful if anyone is taking any other "blood thinners", which include coumadin, and the herbal supplements that begin with "G" such as gingko biloba, ginsing, garlic and ginger, and herbal pain meds. All of these substances also affect blood clotting and with enough medications or combinations, you may get to a point of spontaneous bleeding. Good for calling in pelagics while diving, not so good for most everything else.
Walter, I will look up the various meds listed and see if there is a difference on VItamin C effect. I must admit that I don't know.
Diving; My zen space.

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:50 PM

Hello...? Do I know you?? :o

No but she's been listening to those of use who do!!! LOL!!! :twist:

formerly...

#13 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

Walter, after doing some googling, this is what I found. Aspirin can increase the body's excretion of VItamin C by up to 3 times normal. Vit C is not made in the body, and therefore must be taken orally. The recommended daily dose of Vit C is listed as 60 mg per day, but many would take up to 500 mg twice a day, and even more in the setting of a cold. Aspirin does not destroy Vitamin C, but decreases the body's availability of it. If you are taking a vitamin supplement with hundreds of miligrams of Vit C, then even taking aspirin, you should be OK. You won't get scurvy while on a dive boat. Remember to have an orange or lemon/ lime while WW is impressing you with her banana eating show.
I did not find info on the NSAID's (advil, aleve, motrin) having an affect on Vit C, but then, in my opinion, they are not as effective on platelets as aspirin, dose for dose. I will still be taking 325 mg of aspirin a day, and getting my Vitamin C from fruits, tomato juice, etc (screwdrivers and bloody mary's count)
Diving; My zen space.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:09 PM

I will still be taking 325 mg of aspirin a day, and getting my Vitamin C from fruits, tomato juice, etc (screwdrivers and bloody mary's count)

Whoops!! I guess Dandy Don won't be diving with you again! That is if you drink any of those after midnight that is!!! LOL!!! :cool2:

formerly...

#15 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:53 AM

Don, I thought people took asprin to keep up.........never mind, that's viagara.... :cool2:

Hello...? Do I know you?? :cool2:

No but she's been listening to those of use who do!!! LOL!!! :D

So...if someone takes viagara before diving....does it effect their bouyancy??? What are the chances of getting 'it' 'bent'??? Will the nitogen bubbles react differently to 'that body part'??? Enquiring minds want to know.........!!!! hehe
Sempar Partus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users