• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

In need of a personal shopper

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rockhound1971

rockhound1971

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40+

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:15 AM

Okay, I'm not so good at this whole Christmas gift buying thing...I personally don't really enjoy the whole aspect of shopping (unless it entails trying to figure out how to buy something in a foreign country where the dominate language isn't English or should I say American)...I've procrastinated up until this point, and its down to the wire, so I was hoping that I could maybe solicite some help from those of you that know these things or have kids this age...

I need to purchase several gifts: here are the relatives of the whole thing:...gift range $20 to $30

Nephew1: I think he's about 8 and likes what most kids like...seems to be going through a transition from football & Soccer to who knows what

Nephew2: Nephew1's younger brother...I think he's about 5 and is very active...loves sports...soccer, football, just an all around ball of fire...

Neice1: she must be about 5 and loves girlie things...dressing up and playng princess...and all the like...

Nephew3: Neice1's younger brother...he must be about 3..isn't really into anything except that purple dino guy and beating the heck out of his uncle...

Okay...help...please...
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

#2 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

Here's my suggestions:

Nephew1: Gift certificate to Sport Chalet.

Nephew2: Gift certificate to Sport Chalet.

Neice1: Gift certificate to Toys R Us.

Nephew3: Bottle of Jack Daniels and the car keys.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#3 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

Rockhound,

I can relate somewhat to your delima, however with kids it's always easier to buy for them than it is adults or so I've found so you should consider yourself lucky on that one.. For the little ones you need to buy for I would suggest asking their parents what some of the items they might be asking for or put on their Christmas list... either that or you could always keep it simple and get a little present along with a gift card to a nearby toystore and then take them out for lunch and a shopping trip to buy what they really want... that's always a lot of fun!

Good luck on your decision and have a wonderful holiday

Dejah

#4 texasmermaid

texasmermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:158

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:25 AM

I'm not really much of a shopper either, but I did get a kick out of shopping for my niece (6yo) and 2 nephews(3yo,2yo). My sister gave me suggestions in approx that same price range, so I'll share. Hope this helps.

For my 5yo niece: Disney Princess Fashion Phone, Disney Tinkerbell doll (it's like a Barbie), anything with Hello Kitty on it, Herhsey's Kiss Maker.

For my 3yo nephew: Mega Bloks train or boat set (these are like Legos but bigger and easier for small hands to use)

For my 2yo nephew: Playdoh Fuzzy Friends Farm (you would not believe how big PlayDoh is now!), AquaDoodle mat

My neighbor is storing the 'Santa' stuff at my house for her kids. For her 8 yo son, she has video game cartridges, a pogo stick, and some other stuff that looks boring.

Good luck!
I tried to contain myself, but I escaped!

#5 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:27 AM

But when you ask the parents, be really clear that you want to get them something fun. No clothes! Uncles, Aunts and Grandparents are only allowed to get fun stuff.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:49 AM

Well you can do something different...try learning games such as "How to be a Magician" "The World through a microscope" "Ant Farms" etc. available at stores that specialize in educational toys. I know I loved them when I was a kid! And you can do a gift card to one if you can't decide what to get them. Or call and find out which ones 'mom' would approve of.

You can also do the ToysRUs gift cards...seems they now sell LOTS of pretty clothes for little girls and just about everything else. Of course all the Nemo stuff is gone...and some other things that were on MY neice and nephew's list.

And this one is a good one...if the kids live close you can volunteer to take them shopping to spend the gift card you got them! That is a double gift...fun with Uncle AND more stuff! Plus you can make sure you get them stuff someone else didn't get them.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 rockhound1971

rockhound1971

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:11 PM

this is great...thank you... I like the idea of a pogo stick...I may get one for myself. And I like the idea of spending time picking out the real gift together...I'll keep that in the hip pocket. Hopefully though, I can come up with something other than the unclimactical gift card.

ohh and jex...your family gatherings must be just like my family gatherings...you know, the kind where you are inevitably going to need to give someone the car keys to get you home...at 3 though I'm not sure he can reach the petals :clapping:

-Thomas Jefferson

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:17 PM

this is great...thank you... I like the idea of a pogo stick...I may get one for myself. And I like the idea of spending time picking out the real gift together...I'll keep that in the hip pocket. Hopefully though, I can come up with something other than the unclimactical gift card.

ohh and jex...your family gatherings must be just like my family gatherings...you know, the kind where you are inevitably going to need to give someone the car keys to get you home...at 3 though I'm not sure he can reach the petals :clapping:

You can also take a toy magazine and wrap it up with a personalized gift certificate that says they get a full day or full afternoon of private shopping with YOU! Be as creative as you want but it's better then the gift card...yet lets you go shopping with them. You can also create personalized gift certificates for "Lunch" together....a movie of their choice....a day or skating, sports etc.

These are also nice gifts for your sister/sister-in-law since you give her a break from the kids as well!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:01 PM

ohh and jex...your family gatherings must be just like my family gatherings...you know, the kind where you are inevitably going to need to give someone the car keys to get you home...at 3 though I'm not sure he can reach the petals :D

Yeah, the tradition at my mom's is that she and I wake up early and make the eggnog (Recipe: one gallon of pure grain alcohol, wave an egg nearby), then the rest get up and we open presents and drink eggnog, then pass out 'til lunchtime, then we go skiing.

I just figured from the way that you described the little guy that I was offering the perfect present!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:58 PM

Nephew1: I think he's about 8 and likes what most kids like...seems to be going through a transition from football & Soccer to who knows what

Nephew2: Nephew1's younger brother...I think he's about 5 and is very active...loves sports...soccer, football, just an all around ball of fire...

Neice1: she must be about 5 and loves girlie things...dressing up and playng princess...and all the like...

Nephew3: Neice1's younger brother...he must be about 3..isn't really into anything except that purple dino guy and beating the heck out of his uncle...

Okay...help...please...

These are tough. My nieces and Nephews (about the same age) all love video games. Otherwise, something that has to do with the sports they enjoy the most.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#11 rockhound1971

rockhound1971

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:27 AM

okay, with hours to go, I've finished...wanted to thank everyone for their generosity...

almost wanted to tell everyone to have a very merry christmas

-Thomas Jefferson

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:08 PM

okay, with hours to go, I've finished...wanted to thank everyone for their generosity...

almost wanted to tell everyone to have a very merry christmas

WELL????? We are waiting....what did you get them????? :wakawaka:

formerly...

#13 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:19 PM

Here's a great idea for the blonde on your list...

Posted Image
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#14 rockhound1971

rockhound1971

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 03:05 PM

nephew 1 & 2 I combined for a 'day with uncle Doug' this will include more than likely going out for pizza and hitting the arcade to play some skee ball to collect tickets to get something small and fraile and plastic...

nephew 3 i got two light sabres so we can battle it out and the niece i got a couple of canvas' and paints...i told my brother and sister in-law that i would baby-sit one day next week, and hopefully we can make something besides a mess out of the paints...

sorry Capt, no blondes, but WW may be able to use it... :thankyou:

-Thomas Jefferson

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 03:44 PM

Cool on your gifts Doug...and of course you'll have to report back on how the Day With Uncle Doug went too! :thankyou:

As for the dvd rewinder...nope don't need it...don't have a dvd...except the one in my puter and it seems to rewind them pretty good...it must be one of those high end ones! :teeth:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users