• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Using Frequent Flyer Miles & Other Travel Tips

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

Has anyone had much luck using frequent flyer miles to get to dive destinations?

I have tons of miles on Delta and lots of miles on American, but don't seem to ever be able to use them to get places. Is there a secret I should know about? I hear people talk about getting places on FF miles all the time, but I have had no such luck.

I am an advance planner too.

I was wondering what everyone else does to take advantage of all those FF miles they have earned.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#2 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:15 PM

I usually call the 'Elite' service line and have the customer service rep help me. I find it's nearly impossible to try to find anything when you're doing it online. The CSR (especially the Elite service line) knows the ins-and-outs and can usually find something for me. Sometimes it has to be a codeshare with a partner airline, but as long as it gets me where I want to go and uses my FF miles, I'm fine.

Hope that helps!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#3 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:46 PM

As you know Linda, I tried using my Delta miles when I went to Bonaire. But since I also had to fly a Delta partner....Air Jamaica....AJ would not accept my air miles for the ticket. And thats being a partner??????????

Delta could have gotten me from RDU to Atlanta on miles...but that would have been a waste both milage wise and money wise it saved very little.

Delta needs to relook their "partner" program in my eyes.

However....when I flew back from Germany on Delta...I upgraded to first class for 25k miles.....then found out there was a food supply strike and zip to eat and drink on the plane.

Delta still hasnt answered my mail back on that little deal. I asked for some miles back because of the substandard service.......hello....Delta??????? you out there??????

rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#4 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 27 December 2004 - 01:35 PM

Linda,

I have miles on United and Continental. I'm using FF miles to fly to Cozumel and then in Feb I'm using miles to go to Lake Tahoe. Last year I flew to Hawaii using FF miles, but had to use more than normal. Anyway I always book on the websites and have had succes that way. You might want to give that a try.

Good luck,

Carla

#5 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 04:17 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The best tip I got was to consider partner airlines, I never realized you could use an airline partner if the airline actually flew where you wanted to go, and had flights from your local airport. (when I went to Mexico I used Alaska Air miles on American, but Alaska does not fly out of Raleigh, this I knew was possible).

I guess the other consideration is to sometimes have to be more flexible on flight days such as arriving a day early and overnighting in a hotel, or modifying the trip back.

Thanks again to all who made suggestions.

:thankyou: :teeth: :wakawaka:

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:29 AM

Yes checking for different days and trying not to fly around holidays or busy times is the best way to go when trying to use the miles. I also find that they are best used when I need to fly someplace in an emergency or at the last minute. Usually the ticket is full fare or close to full fare and so using miles is a big boon then! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:56 PM

Also try flying in a day earlier or leaving a day or two later.. That's the only way I got the April St Maarten/St Kitts to work. Heck, I don't mind staying on St Kitts two extra days... twist my arm, ya know.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#8 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:44 AM

I used FF miles on United to get from Hawaii to Dallas and then paid for a ticket on Continental to get Cozumel ($355 vs $2k). I booked on line and had no problems at all.

I've also used miles to upgrade on NW, Contenental (NW miles) and United. I did this over the phone.

I bought a ticket on American for the St Maarten trip, but am trying to use miles to upgrade...first try on AA, we shall see.
"

#9 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:52 PM

My trick on United is to get on the waiting list and be patient. They have called everytime, So far anyway
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#10 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:46 AM

My trick on United is to get on the waiting list and be patient. They have called everytime, So far anyway

EV,

That is a great idea, I didn't know you could even do that, then again I have not used FF miles enough to ever try. Then I guess if they have not called as the time gets closer if for some reason they don't call you can always buy a ticket.

Thanks!

I was able to get my ticket to Hawaii via American by arriving a day early but the downside is having to leave slightlyl earlier then planned, but that beat the alternative option for flying out. In any event it worked out well for me.

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#11 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:18 AM

Glad to hear that it worked Linda. Hope your trip was warm and wonderful!.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#12 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:43 PM

I was able to get my ticket to Hawaii via American by arriving a day early but the downside is having to leave slightlyl earlier then planned, but that beat the alternative option for flying out.

That is a downside. You may be at the mercy of their schedule. I just travel "off-peak" and I always seem to have a world of options.

Have fun!!!
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users