• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dry Suit Maitenance and Cleaning...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:02 PM

Well since we are on the subject of dry suits...and mine is still very new...maintenance and cleaning will be critical. I've been waxing the zipper... but I'm not sure the best way to tackle the rest of it! Thanks for any suggestions! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 markglist

markglist

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cert Level:master scuba diver
  • Logged Dives:thousands

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

padi has an excellent video for thier drysuit course and it covers drysuit cleaning and maintenance

mark

#3 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 01 January 2005 - 05:44 PM

I was taught (and this is apparently a DUI recommendation) to not store my suit hung up. Roll it up and put in in the storage bag, less stress on the neck seals.

Now that I think about it, I need to get that puppy out and use it!!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:06 PM

Never fold it.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:57 PM

I was taught (and this is apparently a DUI recommendation) to not store my suit hung up.  Roll it up and put in in the storage bag, less stress on the neck seals.

Now that I think about it, I need to get that puppy out and use it!!!!

Or one of our instructors stores his hung upside down. This allows the condensation to drip out.

Also, liberal use of seal saver for those with latex seals is recommended as well. If not for an overactive Labrador, I still would have the same seals on mine as I did 200 dives ago.

Walter is correct, roll it when possible. Folding can lead to pinhole leaks in the material.

PS I used mine today so :D ; :lmao: !

Edited by Diverbrian, 01 January 2005 - 07:58 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#6 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 01 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

Walter's right. Mine is rolled, not folded.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:51 PM

If you are going to store it other than by hanging, make sure it is absolutely dry inside before doing so.

I really like McNett UVTech. This was recommended to me by the guy that does just about the most dry suit repairs in Florida. It keeps the seals in good condition and prevents breakdown from sun exposure. I just spray some on a thin sponge and wipe on the inside and outside of my seals every couple of dives.

If you do a lot of beach dives or in conditions where the zipper gets sand and crud in it, there are some cleaners for this. I have some but I still have never used it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:02 AM

SDM...where do you get this product? And is it for neoprene seals too or just latex? I opted for neoprene due to warmth, and durability. And the company High Tide provides you with a special hanger to hang the suit so no issues there.

How do you clean your drysuit? I've seen drysuit/wetsuit cleaners? Are they needed? Do you hose the inside out occassionally and then hang upside down to drain and dry out? How about cleaners...what do you suggest and how often? And finally...how often do you all wax zippers? I've been doing it before most every dive or at least once a day. And I just did it about a week ago after the suit has hung for a month.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

I hang my O3 suit in the garden upside down on a hanger designed to hold the boots and hose it inside and out. Then I leave it to dry fully out of the sun. O3 say to put french chalk on the wrist and neck seals before putting it away, as well as waxing the zip with solid beeswax (every four or five dives, or just before it starts to get stiff). They also recommend storing it zip open hanging upside down as above. They say it should only be rolled up for transit (with the zip open) and then hung up again on arrival. And of course it should never be folded.

For seals I've tried latex, neoprene, and the two combined. To my mind you can't beat good quality neoprene seals that fit you properly. They are comfortable and durable. But emphasise "quality" and "fit".

#10 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:41 PM

I hose mine out and off in the bathtub with it hanging from a boot hanger, with warm water. Every few dives, I run the water up into the boots. To dry my boots, I turn the suit inside out as much as possible, then use boot dryers that are made for snow ski boots. They're small blow dryers with flexable/extendable nozzels. My suit is a Whites tri-lam with latex seals. I use baby powder on the latex seals, and after 5 years they're still like new. I follow White advice, and has been mentioned here already, loosely roll up the suit, and stor it that way. A little zipper wax before the dive, and I use KY jelly on the seals to help them slide over my hands and head. Good luck with yours.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#11 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:06 PM

I've been waxing the zipper... but I'm not sure the best way to tackle the rest of it!

Is that what the kids are callin' it nowadays?

A little zipper wax before the dive, and I use KY jelly on the seals to help them slide over my hands and head.

.... not much to add here!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#12 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

While I can see the benefit of the "lubricated" seals, I think I will try putting on my drysuit (once it finally comes in - ordered two months ago!) sans KY for the first while. I just don't have pretty mental picture of what my head will look like after sticking it through a neck seal coated in KY!!! :thankyou: :lmao:

#13 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:59 PM

......... hold on ....... lemme grab the twister game.........
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#14 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:10 PM

Two words - dirty dog!! :thankyou: :lmao:

#15 EdmDiver

EdmDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Does failing DIRF count? <- Old News. Passed Now
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:14 AM

And you people wonder why lurkers don't post...It starts off with a serious Drysuit question...next thing you know, we are talking about KY jelly...blown seals...and what brand of smokes seals use after the fact....yeeesh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users