• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dry Suit Maitenance and Cleaning...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 moparmagician

moparmagician

Getting started

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:54 AM

I don't use anything on the seals, my drysuit has a neoprene neck seal, and latex wrist seals, (which I installed, didn't like the neoprene wrist seals it came with). I just don't find it that difficult to don, just be careful and don't get in a hurry. I have read so many things deteriorate the latex, and if anything is needed to aid donning, use pure cornstarch power. And after a dive, rinse it well and maybe even wash the seals in a baby shampoo solution, or other very mild detergent to help remove the oils from our skin. This is all what others have recommended to me and the instructions say. See guys do read instructions sometimes. :welcome:
If you can look down and see your fins, you've swam too far, cause you aren't in Oregon anymore.

#17 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

SDM...where do you get this product? And is it for neoprene seals too or just latex? I opted for neoprene due to warmth, and durability. And the company High Tide provides you with a special hanger to hang the suit so no issues there.

How do you clean your drysuit? I've seen drysuit/wetsuit cleaners? Are they needed? Do you hose the inside out occassionally and then hang upside down to drain and dry out? How about cleaners...what do you suggest and how often? And finally...how often do you all wax zippers? I've been doing it before most every dive or at least once a day. And I just did it about a week ago after the suit has hung for a month.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! -ww

I have no neoprene experience re: drysuits. It would seem to me that putting the UV Tech would also be okay on neoprene.

Regarding rinse, I usually walk off the boat with all my equipment on except mask and fins. I climb into the rinse tank and strip off the heavy gear there. I open my pockets and make sure that I go low enough into the water to give a good general rinse to everything. As long as I know that the rinse tank water is changed frequently enough, that's all I do regarding the suit itself.

If I find the rinse tank suspect, I will also hose and/or shower off after. It all depends what's available.

Every once in a while, I take the suit and rinse out the inside with fresh water. Then, I turn it inside out until it is completely dry.

Yep, I wax everytime.

The suits are pretty durable. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 11 January 2005 - 03:22 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#18 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:51 PM

While I can see the benefit of the "lubricated" seals, I think I will try putting on my drysuit (once it finally comes in - ordered two months ago!) sans KY for the first while. I just don't have pretty mental picture of what my head will look like after sticking it through a neck seal coated in KY!!! :lmao: :lmao:

I don't think you need to go through all that. Yes, I put talc on my neck seal. But, that is more to prevent deterioration than anything.

While I can't say much about neoprene, my neck seal is flexible enough that I can stretch it with my hands while putting it over my neck. That gets it to really close to where it needs to be. A little talc then helps it slip down the last bit on my neck.

I wouldn't start with putting goop on also. That does not sound like fun at all.

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#19 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the talc tip. :lmao: I will definitely try that one once that dang suit finally comes in!!

#20 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:40 PM

O3, who make high quality suits in the UK, specifically warn against using talc. They say to use french chalk, which doesn't have any of the scents and cosmetic ingredients that they say can cause long-term degradation.

#21 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:00 PM

Well since we are on the subject of dry suits...and mine is still very new...maintenance and cleaning will be critical. I've been waxing the zipper... but I'm not sure the best way to tackle the rest of it!  Thanks for any suggestions! -ww

Cleaning - upside down so any water can drip out. I've looked high and low for a hanger designed to hold it upside down by the boots, can't seem to find one around here. So what I use instead is two 8ft lengths of 1/2 PVC and run one up each leg and prop it up against a wall and hose down one side, then turn it over and hose down the other side, then let it drip dry. A bit awkward to handle, but effective. Of course, this is done outside. Have to remember to bring it in before going to bed or I find creepy-crawlys and slug trails on it in the morning.

I wax the zipper before each dive outing, otherwise I forget when I last waxed it. I use Aquaseal Max Wax, lasts a long time. I have latex neck and wrist seals, so they get chalked when I put it on, and I use wet/drysuit shampoo as a lubricant to get them off. I only use shampoo (why buy shampoo when real poo is still free?) on the outside of the suit if it happened to get muddy or stain somehow.

For cleaning the zipper, use an old toothbrush every so often.

For cleaning the inside, I've never found a need to do that except one time when a wrist seal gave out at depth and the suit flooded. As posted earlier, after you rinse out the inside, you need to turn the whole thing inside out as much as possible, and I can tell you that if you don't have a dryer to dry the boots, they take FOREVER to dry.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#22 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:52 AM

Leisure Pro does sell a hangar for hanging your dry suit upside down.

http://www.leisurepr...oductID=AQUUDSH

Or you can go to your sporting goods store and for a couple bucks get a hangar for waders, which would be the same thing only without the padding.

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#23 tssplash

tssplash

Getting started

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Cert Level:Experienced

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:21 PM

I highly recommend that if you haven't, take the Drysuit course. It will inform you of everything you need to do to take care of your drysuit, plus alot more. And above all, don't pee in it!! Believe it or not I've known divers that have done that not thinking which suit they were using.

Splash

Edited by tssplash, 20 January 2005 - 11:22 PM.

#24 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:04 AM

For us guys there's a simple solution to peeing - its called a P-valve, and is highly recommended if you dive dry.

I put one in my suit and don't know how I got along without it. On cold days it makes leaving the suit on all day a quite-reasonable option.

#25 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

For those that use talc:

http://www.napaonlin...70&prmenbr=5806

Balkamp Tire Talc, 16 ounce can, $5.99, does not contain scents or other products that degrade seals. Transfer into smaller salt shaker type plastic cannisters with sealing top (to prevent water entry while on the dive boat, etc.). I am just finishing using one can in just under two years averaging at least two dive trips per month.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 23 January 2005 - 02:12 PM.

#26 Genesis

Genesis

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

Billiard stores also carry an unscented, "unpolluted" talc in a shaker can, and it is similarly cheap.

#27 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:02 PM

Billiard stores also carry an unscented, "unpolluted" talc in a shaker can, and it is similarly cheap.

Just don't use it on a billiard table, please- it absolutely ruins the cloth! :P
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#28 Genesis

Genesis

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

BTW if your drysuit is wet (or your arms are) a bit of KY Jelly works well as seal lube too - and its safe for the suit.

(That makes two "clean" uses for the stuff - the other is lubricating raw water impellers in your boat during installation to make them easier to install!)

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

For us guys there's a simple solution to peeing - its called a P-valve, and is highly recommended if you dive dry.

I put one in my suit and don't know how I got along without it. On cold days it makes leaving the suit on all day a quite-reasonable option.

Yep...once again it pays to be a guy...or is that it 'pees' to be a guy! :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#30 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:42 PM

Ladies can always go with nappies a/k/a Depends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users