• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

MEMBERS THAT DONT POST

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

Hey Karl....WOW!!! A serious post on this board...you'll soon see we have a few but they seem to be few and far between! :lmao: I do however find it VERY REFRESHING! And Terri is right...most of us dont' get the inside jokes...but of course my excuse is my hair color! :teeth:

Interesting observations...I do really thank you for participating and I certainly hope you continue to do so...they will certainly count towards your cyberwise-cert! :birthday:

Part of why we encourage banter and chatting or at least asking questions is that we are not a traditional dating site...rather a dive buddy site. However a quick look thru the forum 'Of Interest to Singles' reveals that many of us would not say 'no' to meeting someone special. However if you spend all your time waiting to find that 'special diver' to dive with...you know the one that meets all your criteria...you might just miss that fantastic diver who you've been destined to meet all your life AND you may miss out on a lot of diving fun with awesome people from all over the US.

Fortunately or unfortunately you live in the DFW area. It happens to be my backyard but I can tell you if the romantic interests were so hot here...I would have never had time to run a singles trip a year ago and well SD wouldn't be here. In fact I love that I've met some wonderful friends and yes...even a few interesting specimens of the preferred sex... :diver: and they don't necessarily live in my backyard. But then I was raised a military brat...moving was a part of life.

The good news is that we are still very very new but growing very fast. I hope you are part of that growth and our goal is to offer LOTS of local activities in MANY cities around the US and eventually the world as well as offering great dive trips that are not loaded with couples.

But alas I babble...sorry gang...

:teeth: Darn it...I should never read a serious post when its late at night! I tend to get to serious in my reply! :lmao:

Welcome to SD...keep up the fresh perspective and feel free to increase your cyber postings as much as you can for your cybercert! :taz:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 2dive4

2dive4

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:Over 198

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:06 AM

I'm posting, I'm posting....and breathing hard at the same time. whew!!! :teeth:

#33 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:19 AM

I hope you're practicing safe posting.

Is that what it's called when the bed posts keep hitting the wall? :teeth:

"HEY!!!! KEEP THAT POSTING DOWN IN THERE!!! I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!"

(I get to see my picture again.)
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#34 moparmagician

moparmagician

Getting started

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:20 AM

I must admit, when I first seen something about this site on another forum, I thought cool, an online dating site that involves scuba diving. The next thing I seen when I checked it out, is where it is based from, a long ways from me. So I left and didn't come back for a while. Then curiosity got the better of me and here I am. It didn’t take long searching some of the forums and I found some very good information on a couple of things I had been wondering about. But I honestly still thought of it as a dating site until I read the home page, and a couple of forums about people PMing others and making people feel uncomfortable, my mistake. (I didn’t do that, promise, too big of a chicken) Kind of like not reading the instructions when assembling something, fortunately it didn’t get me into any trouble that I know of. Now I have included myself into a few discussions and am learning more and more every day, also feeling like I am sort of getting to know people in the process. A pretty awesome group so far I might add. I am getting more comfortable every day here, but I can see how many don’t post a thing. Some are just shy, others not wanting to sound stupid, and I would suspect the majority who don’t post, honestly thought like I did at first, that this is a dating site, and when they discover it isn’t, bye-bye. I am also like others, not willing to move and with my situation at least for the next couple of years, not able to travel much but in my local area. So now that I have a better understanding and with the help of all of you, hopefully I to can help make SD grow, and improve, and in my local area to. Another thing that might add to posting also, is having way too much time with nothing to do, ummmmm no dive buddy, so ya I’ve been accused of spending way too much time on the computer. Imagine that!
If you can look down and see your fins, you've swam too far, cause you aren't in Oregon anymore.

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:17 AM

Interesting thought...people think it IS a dating site...find out its not and then move on. But dating sites cost money and this one does not. However I'm sure as we grow we could eventually offer the looking for dive buddies or dive dates member sorts. When you set up your profile you decide if you are interested in just dive buddies...just dive dates or both. Then users could sort accordingly.

Very interesting feedback. And ya know what??? We are glad you hung around and 'jumped right in' as they say! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#36 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:44 AM

Y'll are going to find this hard to believe. But, the first time I came here I did not get a good vibe. I came, I saw, I left. I never planned on coming back, and I have no idea what caused it. Then, my favorite Canadian, CanuckDiver sent me a PM on ScubaBoard to check out SingleDivers. So, I checked it out again, saw something that needed a reply. Was very gently told to post an intro, by Marvel, I think. The rest is history.

#37 DiveCandy

DiveCandy

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:58 AM

I only post to see if I can get ScubaHawk to reply (so I can see his picture again)!! :wakawaka:

#38 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:09 AM

I only post to see if I can get ScubaHawk to reply (so I can see his picture again)!! :usflag:

OH - I didn't realize we were being honest!! :usflag:

(DiveCandy, just between you and me, that's why I post too!) :wakawaka:
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#39 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:55 AM

When I first signed up, Inoticed most of the post diverged from the topic very quickly, and fell into the inside jokes and personal areas. I didn't like it, so I went away for a couple months. When I came back, I noticed threads seems to stay more on topic, so for that, I've stayed. One area I find very klunkey to use is following posts. Things I find important and or interesting often fall off the lastest post section, and sometime are very hard to find again, browsing the individual catagories. This is compounded when you go to the catagory area, and there only the most popular catagories are listed. That may sound strange, but several post I tried to follow I lost the trail of, because they become so buried.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#40 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:03 AM

I must admit, when I first seen something about this site on another forum, I thought cool, an online dating site that involves scuba diving. The next thing I seen when I checked it out, is where it is based from, a long ways from me. So I left and didn't come back for a while. Then curiosity got the better of me and here I am. It didn’t take long searching some of the forums and I found some very good information on a couple of things I had been wondering about. But I honestly still thought of it as a dating site until I read the home page, and a couple of forums about people PMing others and making people feel uncomfortable, my mistake. (I didn’t do that, promise, too big of a chicken) Kind of like not reading the instructions when assembling something, fortunately it didn’t get me into any trouble that I know of. Now I have included myself into a few discussions and am learning more and more every day, also feeling like I am sort of getting to know people in the process. A pretty awesome group so far I might add. I am getting more comfortable every day here, but I can see how many don’t post a thing. Some are just shy, others not wanting to sound stupid, and I would suspect the majority who don’t post, honestly thought like I did at first, that this is a dating site, and when they discover it isn’t, bye-bye. I am also like others, not willing to move and with my situation at least for the next couple of years, not able to travel much but in my local area. So now that I have a better understanding and with the help of all of you, hopefully I to can help make SD grow, and improve, and in my local area to. Another thing that might add to posting also, is having way too much time with nothing to do, ummmmm no dive buddy, so ya I’ve been accused of spending way too much time on the computer. Imagine that!

I was recruited by another member as well. I had known about this group for a little bit of time and thought it a dating site. I wasn't interested in that. I am an active member of one or two other diving related message boards. A person that has become a regular dive buddy of mine (actually my preferred dive buddy now) was communicating with me via PM. Believe it or not, I logged on to see her profile where she had a photo of her dogs (we were comparing photos of pets).

I peeked around and decided to stay. If you think the criticism of divers that don't know something is bad here, you should try some of the other boards out there. I am a member of a tech diving board where all that I have is about five posts for that reason. I have never really seen that attitude here. I have seen it on plenty of other diving related message boards. I wasn't kidding by much when I commented on the high post: dive ratio comment. Some places if you don't have many dives, you will get told to shut up until you have some actual bottom time by other members if they don't like what you are saying. There isn't any of that here.

As for the "inside joke" thing, do what the rest of do. Ignore the inside jokes and continue the thread or ask the people what is up as you may want to join it! Most of the time the response will be a friendly PM or post to catch you up to speed.

I personally see us a small family, moreso than some of the larger boards that I am on. All of us have some common bonds and it makes it interesting to explore that.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#41 moparmagician

moparmagician

Getting started

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:42 AM

When I first signed up, I noticed most of the post diverged from the topic very quickly, and fell into the inside jokes and personal areas.

I notice this a lot also, and I don't really know what to say if it bothers anyone, I think it makes things a bit more on a personal level, we are all friends, buddies, etc. However if you see this, that is no reason not to jump in and continue on with the original topic, ask more questions, add advice or whatever. ok, I just figured out how to quote someone properly to, opps. :wakawaka:
If you can look down and see your fins, you've swam too far, cause you aren't in Oregon anymore.

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:43 AM

One area I find very klunkey to use is following posts. Things I find important and or interesting often fall off the lastest post section, and sometime are very hard to find again, browsing the individual catagories. This is compounded when you go to the catagory area, and there only the most popular catagories are listed. That may sound strange, but several post I tried to follow I lost the trail of, because they become so buried.

We have tried to fix it so that all posts stay visible vs. dropping off after 30 days.

Where as the 'View New Posts' is a great tool...you really need to notice where the topics you like reside. We've tried to keep the categories pretty clean. The categories with the most latitude are Non-Diving Related which has now been subdivided into games/trivia and Holiday Stuff. Another category that has lots of latitude is General Diving. If it deals with diving, gear, etc. then it is in this category. In the area of who's diving where and when you have the following choices: SD trips in one category and Member trips in the Where in the World section or I'm Headed your way

For the most part if the topic is about relationships or being single it is in Of Interest to Singles.

If you or anyone has suggestions for better topic categories...we are always open. In fact the last two categories ...games/trivia and Holiday stuff were member suggestions! -ww

formerly...

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:46 AM

When I first signed up, Inoticed most of the post diverged from the topic very quickly, and fell into the inside jokes and personal areas.

I notice this a lot also, and I don't really know what to say if it bothers anyone, I think it makes things a bit more on a personal level, we are all friends, buddies, etc.

It is a double edged sword...but I'd rather have the topic wander like a good conversation does then to be constantly interrupted by someone yelling " Off Topic" all the time.

However we do try to split off new subjects as they arise in a thread for that very reason. Maybe we need to be a bit more diligent in spliting off different ideas and threads when they occur inside of an existing thread.

formerly...

#44 maxdvr

maxdvr

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

every post is important.... (even if it does hold up a light or a sign.... ) (but thats a pole)... we do stray alot... but somehow always find our way back....just cause ur new... doesnt mean ur not important... we are a small family here... growing every day.... i dont care if the office is in texas... there are people from here in my area.... would have never know if i didnt ask a few stupid questions at first...if i keep posting...pretty soon everyone will know me...and my chicklet box will be full.... i was on a few other boards...and yeah.. until i have enough dives in... no one said much to me at all... never happened here... i to thought this was a dating site... knew better after 2 days... i found a dive home... i stayed and posted...have some good friends ive never met... but i do know...when i meet them... i'll be welcome... cause i was welcome here from the start....so post away...crack jokes... show us who u are...thats what makes us all apart of the funkiest bunch of single divers that we are.... join the fun...

max
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:08 PM

every post is important.... (even if it does hold up a light or a sign.... ) (but thats a pole)... we do stray alot... but somehow always find our way back....just cause ur new... doesnt mean ur not important... we are a small family here... growing every day.... i dont care if the office is in texas... there are people from here in my area.... would have never know if i didnt ask a few stupid questions at first...if i keep posting...pretty soon everyone will know me...and my chicklet box will be full.... i was on a few other boards...and yeah.. until i have enough dives in... no one said much to me at all... never happened here... i to thought this was a dating site... knew better after 2 days... i found a dive home... i stayed and posted...have some good friends ive never met... but i do know...when i meet them... i'll be welcome... cause i was welcome here from the start....so post away...crack jokes... show us who u are...thats what makes us all apart of the funkiest bunch of single divers that we are.... join the fun...

max

Awwwww Max....:thankyou:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users