• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2005: Memorial Day Florida Dive Trip!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
651 replies to this topic

#1 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:27 AM

The working details are at the end of this post...full details to be supplied shortly! -ww

Hey all,

I was wondering who else would be interested in doing the proposed SD trip to Florida in May for memorial day weekend?

Would you want to do a week or just a long weekend? People flying in need 2 days of travel for the most part and of course about 4 days of diving to make it worthwhile and hopefully the locals will join us for more than the just the weekend. :twist:

WW noted we are heading to the Largo/Keys area....does everyone have have interest in going to different locations or staying in one spot?

Dejah

Hey gang....we have 6 rooms for May 26th to May 30 check out May 31st in Lauderdale by the Sea at Paradise by the Sea. Rate is $85 (Holiday Rate) plus 11% tax and as soon as the manager confirms back to me by 2pm today I'll have you book the rooms directly since we are at the 30 day mark and the $100 deposit required will not be refunded.

I was going to book the rooms myself but my mother's health issues and some personal matters have precluded me from finalizing this trip earlier as I intended. :welcome:

NOTE: If you want me to book the rooms for you directly so we can more readily do the roommate planning I will be glad to do that. Once I have someone sign up I'll book a room and we can work on filling it.

The hotel is a very short walk to the ocean and close to Marvel's Side Yard! :)

The dive plan is as follows:

Thursday May 26 out of towners arrive...

Friday May 27th Diving with Tony of Sunstar Aquatics
in Deerfield 10 divers scheduled for afternoon

Saturday May 28th Diving with 20 divers & GROUP BBQ is on this night dives in the am

Sunday May 29th Diving in Key Largo 20 divers scheduled for afternoon

Monday May 30th Diving in Miami 10 divers

Tuesday May 31st out of towners leave.

We are planning right now 2 tank dives for each day some am and some pm.

I will have the number of spots and the full dive op info posted shortly. I am reconfirming the number of spots I have on EACH of the boats. Some of the reservations are in another name besides Singledivers.com so I've had to work that thru but it should be done shortly.

Stay tuned...balance of details to be supplied shortly... (I know...I've said that before but I think its true this time!) :twist:

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:34 AM

WW noted we are heading to the Largo/Keys area

Largo is a long way from the Keys, a good 5 hour drive.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 fun2dive

fun2dive

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:35-50

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:41 AM

WW noted we are heading to the Largo/Keys area

Largo is a long way from the Keys, a good 5 hour drive.

I thought Key Largo was a Key??? The diving is awsome there. They have the Spiegel Grove, the Duane, the Benwood, many reefs, John Pennekamp underwater park, etc...

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:48 AM

Key Largo is the uppermost of the Florida Keys (I don't count Key Biscayne in the Florida Keys). Largo is in the Tampa Bay area next to Seminole and Pinellas Park between St. Petersburg and Clearwater. They are different places.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 DiveCandy

DiveCandy

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:06 AM

Key Largo is the uppermost of the Florida Keys (I don't count Key Biscayne in the Florida Keys).  Largo is in the Tampa Bay area next to Seminole and Pinellas Park between St. Petersburg and Clearwater.  They are different places.

Oh c'mon, Walter! Did you really think Dejah meant Largo and not Key Largo?!? Diving THAT Largo ranks only slightly above diving Winter Haven!! :)

Key Largo has some great wreck/artificial reefs for sure, along with some shallower dives for less experienced divers. Although the health of the reefs are declining, KL is special for me since I did my BOW and AOW/Nitrox check out dives there, including diving the Spiegel Grove only weeks after it finally made it down.

I agree with Walter that Key Biscayne doesn't count as part of the Keys but it's a great area nonetheless. I have an affinity for WPB drift dives and hopefully I'll be able to comment on Lauderdale area dives as soon as my gear is done with its annual servicing.

My vacation time for the next 6-8 months may be restricted as I hope to be in training in another department soon. (It's all good...future employment means future dive trips!) However, I will definitely be joining the group for the weekends no matter where you decide to go. :welcome:

Kerry

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:18 AM

No, but I wanted to eliminate any possible confusion. Actually, there's great diving off shore in the Largo/Clearwater/St. Petersburg area.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hey all,

sorry if I confused anyone it's Key Largo I was talking about.. and I'm going to be heading out that way anyways to meet up with a friend in Orlando then meet up with the group...

Dejah

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:43 AM

It would be nice to some diving with the SD crowd. Donna and I may be able to make this one.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#9 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:03 PM

Sounds decent... so long as they don't sink the O that weekend - if they do, you know where I'll be....

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

You won't be able to dive it the same day anyway.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

Sounds decent... so long as they don't sink the O that weekend - if they do, you know where I'll be....

Ok, I'm a little lost on this one.. what is the "O"?

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

The USS Oriskany is an aircraft carrier scheduled to sink off Pensacola this coming summer. A few details if you're interested.

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

:fish: I am very interested in this, but won't be able to commit for a while.

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#14 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:31 PM

Well, I'll be around..... :fish:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

The last time SD did the South Florida trip, I suggested sticking to areas ranging from Miami to Palm Beach rather than Key Largo. I still think that would be a lot better for those making the trip.

There are a ton of wrecks in Miami and Fort Lauderdale for those who like wreck diving. The reefs are actually nicer in Palm Beach County than they are in Key Largo, and you will get to do drift diving there. Between Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach County is only about an hour or so. This will also be a lot easier for the people flying in, since it is about an hour and a half from Miami International to Key Largo as compared to landing in Fort Lauderdale and being right in the action.

Boats, fills and equipment rentals are also somewhat less expensive than going to the Keys. I would imagine that there are also less expensive places to stay though I am not the expert there.

Just a thought. I would be happy to hook us up with some good operations for the dives.

Not that I have anything against the Keys. I can also hook us up there. I go to all these places enough to know the differences and the advantages and disadvantages.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users