• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Sugar Daddy?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#16 fun2dive

fun2dive

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:35-50

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

Let me throw out my thoughts too -

I am a single mother - just one though and he just turned 18 - so that helps me -

I do get plenty of vaction - but I have been at my place of employment for 15 years. :teeth: I should get plenty of vacation! :lmao:

Like the other responses - I have a seperate fund for dive trips - and that's the only time it gets touched - I usually take one big dive trip a year and a couple trips to Cozumel. Great diving for the price!!

I know it's tough when your children are small - but keep the faith - they will grow up!!!

Hang in there!!!

Thanks for the cheering up. I am new to diving, but have to plan my vacations when the kids are at their dad's. Of course I have the boys Memorial Day weekend when we are supposed to have the FL trip. I don't remember an answer, are there any events planned for kids that tag along? Does anyone else bring kids on dive trips?

Thanks,
-stacy

#17 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

Wow, those sound like some awesome ideas on the seperate accts.. So I am going to be start the new year off right and start a seperate account also where I have it automatically deducted from my checks for SD dive trips and getting more equipment, then it will just build up and be out of sight out of mind until a trip comes up :cool2: , now I just wish I had more than 3 weeks worth of vacation each year... :taz:

#18 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:42 PM

I'm a single parent full-time, so I don't get breaks. Either there's a way for my kid to have a good time, or I don't go. Day trips are not a big deal, and a shore diving excursion (e.g. cave diving) isn't either if there is something for her to do and people I trust around topside.

In the gulf she just goes along on the boat. Bring the gameboy or movies and all is set....

Money's all about priorities... after you get done paying for stuff required to keep a boat running, diving doesn't seem so expensive anymore..... :cool2:

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the cheering up. I am new to diving, but have to plan my vacations when the kids are at their dad's. Of course I have the boys Memorial Day weekend when we are supposed to have the FL trip. I don't remember an answer, are there any events planned for kids that tag along? Does anyone else bring kids on dive trips?

Thanks,
-stacy

We have not done anything with kids yet...not sure how many people on the site even have young children.

You might want to post a poll or a thread in the General Diving forum and ask how many of our members are parents and what are their ages. Also ask if they are the primary caregiver since that makes a big difference. And finally ask if they'd like to be able to bring their children along on a dive trip with them if there were plenty of activities for them!

Great questions! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 maxdvr

maxdvr

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:02 PM

i wanna be a sugar daddy... but dont bring much to the table as far as payin for ya to dive.... now cabana boy sounds like a job for me... but the again...wouldnt be bringin much to the table.... maybe i should try under the table... might be able to get a trip or 2 of my own paid for then.... :cool2:
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#21 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

Short of finding a Sugar Daddy who will agree not to get physical. Is that possible ? lol

dang, i knew i was ugly, but didn't think i was that repulsive. lol
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

Short of finding a Sugar Daddy who will agree not to get physical. Is that possible ? lol

Bradford my dear...that's what you get for 'thinking'!!! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

Bradford my dear...that's what you get for 'thinking'!!! :cool2:

yeah, i guess so.

i thought i had somethin to offer, but i guess not :-(

dang, i suck

:taz:
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#24 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:59 AM

And I like to go down too!

:o :P :lmao:

I guess we'll find out in Saba!!! Wanna interview for the job???? :teeth:

:o ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.................... :lmao:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#25 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:00 AM

Diving means enough to me that my other hobbies are low cost--pottery--for example--do you know how much clay $100 will buy?)

Dennis,

Small world. Pottery is my other hobby as well. I don't even have to pay for clay, as I maintain all the equipment and fixtures in the studio in exchange for a key to the place.

Occasionally I have been know to leave mugs on the bottoms of the cold dark lakes around here. Fun to think of someone finding them. My other specialty, being in West Virginia is whisky jugs, even though I don't drink I have fun with them.

Off topic you say? OK, here is the plan, to start a website called "Mikes' Mugs and Jugs" and sell my pottery to pay for my diving. :teeth:

Other than that all my overtime goes to trips or gear, and ebay sales all go to trips and gear.

Mike

#26 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:53 AM

Mike,

That is so cool. I've been wanting to dig my own clay for awhile. We've got an instructor who digs and blends her own and she's going to let me know the next time she does a batch. I don't think it's worth the effort for routine work, but something to try once just to say you did it.

Those are some great ideas. Whiskey jugs?? That goes right along with my liquid whole grain diet of Chivas and Jack Daniels!!!! I could leave pots on the bottom of Lake Travis for our annual Halloween scavenger hunts. When I retire from my real job, I'm planning to sell my sculpture work. Figure I'll be diving and potting into my 80s or maybe forever who knows??? LOL. Do you dive Mt. Storm up there?

Dennis
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#27 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:07 AM

I basically do the same as nicolle, I have a seperate account for diving. I don't touch it for anything but diving trips. Just have it drafted into the account weekly and soon you'll never miss it.
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#28 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:07 AM

To answer the original post......
Well lately I have been working.. ALOT. 60 hours per week. The overtime money has been paying for my diving obsession. Problem is my friends don't know me, my dog is depressed and I'm getting worn out. So I need these vacations!
Time off is not a problem as I have been in the same place for over 17 years. Get 5 weeks a year vacation plus some bonus time off and I have enough seniority that I get pretty much whatever I ask for.
I do consider myself very lucky to be where I am. This includes happily single again, no alimony and no kids. Some may dispute the kids part and I'll happily discuss that with them over a margarita on a caribbean island.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#29 dondiver

dondiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:16 AM

Mishelle,
I "felt" your pain. Before my son finally graduated from college and set out on his own, my trips were usually a couple of good trips to the Keys (at least you can drive to there) and an occasional great trip somewhere in the Carribean. I found that shopping on the internet for the best (least expensive) deals usually worked well.

Marion,
I like a woman who doesn't mind paying her own way....So where do you want to go and when? :teeth:

#30 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:28 AM

Mishelle- your situation as a single mom is quite different from mine so the flexibility my choices in life have given me will not apply to you.

Years ago I decided I would not have children (still haven't found a wife). That decision was based on my workaholic nature and the self knowledge that I would find it very difficult to give the time it would take to do a good job of parenting. As it turned out, I have a 20-year old son I was not aware of until a few years ago.

Being single means not needing near as much money of course. In the past I have also lived well below my means for decades, and put much of my income away in savings. For decades I never took a real vacation (I live on beautiful Catalina so that wasn't too difficult, and I didn't fly in airplanes) so I saved on that expense.

When I lost my last real job, I had a lot of accumulated vacation time which I was paid for. I took that money and did a three month backpacking and diving trip through SE Asia, Australia-NZ and the South Pacific.

I make very little money right now since I am focused on developing my business. Fortunately I have that nest egg of savings to draw on, and use it for diving trips that are business related (which means ALL of them!). When I do special consulting projects, I put that money aside for future trips. And I am fortunate to be paid to dive, videotape and lecture on marine life for Lindblad Expeditions which has taken me to the Sea of Cortez (many times), Belize and Honduras.

Like all of us, our long- and short-term choices largely decide what "freedoms" (and "responsibilities") we will have in our lives. I have been able to enjoy my dive trips and travel, but have not had the joy that raising a child or having a good long-term relationship can bring. You as a single parent have certainly experienced the joy of your child. I hope an unexpected (or planned) turn in your life will free you to do more dive travel while enjoying being a parent.

Dr. Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users